Texas Fishing Forum

Google Earth - how do I view image dates?

Posted By: Too Fat 2 Fish

Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 03:55 PM

Can't find date of current image or how to select older images. Have tried on my PC and using app on i phone.
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 04:12 PM

Use your PC for best results. Look in the bottom right hand corner for a date of the image you are seeing. IM me if you need more help, I use this app a lot.
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 04:15 PM

The web version will tell you the date of the current image (At the bottom) but as far as I know it's limited to the most current set of images. The full google earth for PC/Mac will give you the ability to view historical images (though it's a little bit hidden).

I'm not sure about mobile apps.

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 04:16 PM

Pm you now Brant. I did google search and got even more lost

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Glitchmo
The web version will tell you the date of the current image (At the bottom) but as far as I know it's limited to the most current set of images. The full google earth for PC/Mac will give you the ability to view historical images (though it's a little bit hidden).

I'm not sure about mobile apps.

Thanks. I'm on web version and only see lat/long info. Maybe I have to download the program for full functionality?
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 04:29 PM

Google Maps show the image date.

Google Earth does not but you can hit this button to get current image date and older images.

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Hookem

Google Earth does not but you can hit this button to get current image date and older images.

Thanks. I don't have a tool bar like that. I have a few buttons on left but none allow me to change image
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 05:50 PM

I don't think the web supports that, only the app.

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
I don't think the web support that, only the app.

Thanks
Looks that way gonna get the app later and try again.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 09:06 PM

I have never found a way from my iPhone to view the timeline history.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/08/18 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Hookem

I have Google Earth Pro on my Windows 10 desktop and it has the time slider.
Had it with Google Earth before it was updated on my desktop and a couple of laptops with Vista and Windows 7.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/09/18 12:28 AM

What do I need to do to get Google Earth Pro to give a better picture? It is poor at best. All waters are very "pixel" Google Earth web version is clean and clear.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/09/18 01:12 AM

Another interesting "level" is to mark waypoints on your Google Earth program then transfer them to your boat's electronics.

Ideally, if you happen to look at some of the historic images and find times when your target lake is really low, you'll be able to make out some things and mark those spots, too.

Take a look here . . . I happened to see it today.

Brad

Transfer waypoints from Google Earth to boat electronics

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/16/18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad R
Another interesting "level" is to mark waypoints on your Google Earth program then transfer them to your boat's electronics.

Ideally, if you happen to look at some of the historic images and find times when your target lake is really low, you'll be able to make out some things and mark those spots, too.

Brad

Thanks for the tip Brad. Have you tried to do this yet? I did it today. Was way easier than I expected and worked great.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/16/18 10:53 PM

What's a good alternative to Google Earth? I remember finding a fair to middling one several years ago, but I can't remember what it was.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/16/18 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
What's a good alternative to Google Earth? I remember finding a fair to middling one several years ago, but I can't remember what it was.

Terra Server
mapsdirections.org
Zoom Earth
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Google Earth - how do I view image dates? - 02/17/18 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Too Fat 2 Fish
Originally Posted By: Brad R

Brad

Thanks for the tip Brad. Have you tried to do this yet? I did it today. Was way easier than I expected and worked great.

I never have, saw it and thought to myself what a wonderful idea to mark waypoints, to transfer them to electronics. As electronics get better and better, my guess is more and more "auto-pilot" features might allow boaters to navigate between a boat ramp and waypoints . . . to avoid stumps and more. I would suppose lake areas, say the north end of Palestine, would be fished more actively if one could navigate the "gauntlet" of obstacles. Anyway, I think Google Earth is a really good source to find spots . . . glad it was an easy transfer for you! Brad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum