Texas Fishing Forum

Opinions on Bowfishing?

Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 05:02 AM

I'd like to see some of your opinions on bowfishing.

Is it fair, or is it unfair and why?
Compared to "regular" fishing, is it more or less of a sport?
Are there any unique situations present when bowfishing that aren't with hook and line?
In addition to these, should there or should there not be rules strictly for bowfishing and why or why not?

I'll make another post with my two cents so as not to give anyone any pressure one way or another just yet. Of course, feel free to add any additional information not specifically asked for above. Appreciate ya'll's feedback!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 10:25 AM

What kind of fish?

Catfish? Bass? Gar?
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 12:09 PM

Shoot all the carp ya want
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 12:14 PM

I used to bowfish years ago, but my target was huge Talapia that would spawn in the shallows. They are not easy to catch on hook and line, but fun to arrow, and they were pretty good grilled.
The problem with bow fishing, is there is no catch and release unless you just shoot a fish and then throw it back in the water after pictures at the boat launch.
The few have given the majority of bowfishers a black eye, that just seems to never go away.
This topic will not be a long one, and you can thank those who do what I mentioned above.
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

The problem with bow fishing, is there is no catch and release unless you just shoot a fish and then throw it back in the water after pictures at the boat launch.
this
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 01:57 PM

I think its fine, as long as you stay within the limits and do not waste. I know one guide has people lined up to take the fish if the client does not want them.

Heck I want to do it.
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 02:22 PM

I think it is fine as long as what is being shot is not wasted. I have done it for tilapia and it is very challenging with the reward being a very tasty fish. Unfortunately, way too many non-sportsman who dump/waste what they shoot and create a black-eye for it.
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: steve hummert
I think it is fine as long as what is being shot is not wasted. I have done it for tilapia and it is very challenging with the reward being a very tasty fish. Unfortunately, way too many non-sportsman who dump/waste what they shoot and create a black-eye for it.

A Bow Fishing "Guide" dumped 50 plus Carp and Buffalo (in August) at the Runaway Bay Marina a few years back. It reeked for weeks.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 03:05 PM

Two years ago a big very well lit and very loud bow fishing boat hung around tawakoni for about a week, all night long. With a north wind, our little cove probably had 25 dead carp and buffalo rotting away for about three weeks
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: BridgeportGuide
Originally Posted By: steve hummert

A Bow Fishing "Guide" dumped 50 plus Carp and Buffalo (in August) at the Runaway Bay Marina a few years back. It reeked for weeks.

then he should have been turned in and prosecuted. No different than any other guide, be it striper, hybrid, bass, or catfish, that is guilty of wasting our natural resources.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 05:13 PM

Bowfishing certain species can certainly be fair, depending upon the time of year. When it comes to gar, bowfin, and other air breathers, there is certainly an advantage on the part of the bowfisherman. In addition, spawning fish move into shallows, lose all sense of caution, and therefore become easy targets for bowfisherman to pick off.

Bowfishing is a different kind of game. You certainly use different skills when standing up waiting for a fish to come into your line of sight compared to twitching a lure in just the right manner in just the right place to tempt a fish into biting. When comparing the skills and experience needed to hook a fish on rod and reel, simply being accurate with a bow and arrow just doesn't compare.

Are there any unique situations present when bowfishing that aren't with hook and line?
As mentioned above, spawning and air breathing make a tremendous impact on bowfishing. Whereas with hook and line these things would just give you an idea of where the fish is and where to throw your bait, you'd still have to "get lucky" to hook into one, with a bow and arrow you just aim, draw, and release. It also goes without saying that when bowfishing, you cannot "catch and release." Bowfisherman must be aware of this and be ready to consume any fish they decide to take.

In addition to these, should there or should there not be rules strictly for bowfishing and why or why not?
There should most certainly be rules that apply to bowfishing and perhaps even a few more for hook and line. The idea that you can take any size and amount of rough or "trash" fish is absurd. They should be regulated just as any other resource would. Any sportsman would get pissed if someone came and took home a cooler (or several) of trophy sized bass, catfish, or crappie. Why shouldn't we get upset over someone taking several trophy sized buffalo, carp, drum, or gar?

On the subject of bowfishing specifically, there should certainly be some sort of "season," just as there is a season for deer, duck, or any other game. These seasons would either be built around the spawn of certain species or simply prevent anyone from bowfishing during the spawn.

On to the topic of waste that inevitably comes up during these discussions, this crime should get much more enforcement and punishment than it does now. Whether you be a hook and line angler or bowfisherman, there is simply no excuse to dump your catch or your trash anywhere. As stated above, you must be prepared to consume whatever you take, and no, you are not "chumming" with your boatload of alligator gar and buffalo, nor are you "consuming" when you're using a (whole) fish as fertilizer. There are other, and better, options for both. Just imagine, for a second, that someone took a deer legally, dug a hole, and buried the entire thing - meat, skin, and all - as fertilizer. Surely you'd be fuming. Fish are no different. It's not unreasonable to eat the meat then use the remains as fertilizer. It should go without saying that we never waste something with potential use, and there should be clear and reasonable priorities/requirements for use much like the ones I've stated above.

For those who enjoy taking boatloads of fish... for both bowfishing and hook and line, we should encourage the taking of invasive species from our waters. No limits on size or amount when it comes to invasive fish, as long as one has taken a short one-time class on how to properly identify the species both in and out of the water. On the topic of classes, we've got "hunter's education," so why not "fisherman's education?"

I'm not against the sport of bowfishing, but I personally can't give the same amount of respect to a bowfisherman that shoots an 80lb buffalo as I can to an angler that hooks an 80lb buffalo and lands it. We should still be able to do both of these things, and for fish that cannot be landed by any other means (paddlefish), snagging and bowfishing should certainly be an option (once populations recover). We need to understand that rules are in place for a reason, and that we shouldn't follow them just because we're supposed to or even argue about whether or not literal or implied interpretations are correct. We should understand that we are managing a natural resource, and representing our sport in whatever we do concerning it. If we still want there to be fish, and still be able to fish for them, we should be responsible, reasonable, and most importantly, honest.
Posted By: Max_S

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species
I'd like to see some of your opinions on bowfishing.

I'll make another post with my two cents so as not to give anyone any pressure one way or another just yet. Of course, feel free to add any additional information not specifically asked for above. Appreciate ya'll's feedback!

I have nothing against it even though I'm not a bowfisher. It looks like fun and every bit as challenging as rod and reel fishing, so I'll probably get around to trying it one of these days.

What I am against is the attitude of killing fish and dumping them on the bank or in the trash rather than using them (for food, bait, etc). I think it's the latter that gives bowfishing a bad reputation, though they aren't the only offenders - plenty of rod and reel fishermen, especially people who fish solely for bass, see everything other than bass as rough fish that need to be exterminated.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Max_S
I have nothing against it even though I'm not a bowfisher. It looks like fun and every bit as challenging as rod and reel fishing, so I'll probably get around to trying it one of these days.

What I am against is the attitude of killing fish and dumping them on the bank or in the trash rather than using them (for food, bait, etc). I think it's the latter that gives bowfishing a bad reputation, though they aren't the only offenders - plenty of rod and reel fishermen, especially people who fish solely for bass, see everything other than bass as rough fish that need to be exterminated.

I know exactly what you mean. It's so frustrating that people have attitudes like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHncM1GkVy4&t=11m33s
Posted By: ScottEvil

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 08:01 PM

If done within reason and for food I have no problem with it. But to kill a fish for fun, especially an old trophy sized fish that is inedible is morally wrong
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 08:18 PM

There are two kinds of bow fishermen. Those who do it to take fish to eat and those who do it just because they like killing something. I have no problem with the first type.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 10:46 PM

I've always heard that smoked carp is pretty tasty. I wonder if anyone on the forum has tried it?

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
I've always heard that smoked carp is pretty tasty. I wonder if anyone on the forum has tried it?

I've had it and it is pretty good. In fact, even fried carp, while not the tastiest fish in the world, is by no means bad (I'd rather have it than fish farm tilapia from HEB, but I guess that's not saying much). The biggest drawback of carp for me has never been the flavor (as long as they're from clean water and as long as you cut out the fatty layer along the lateral line), it's dealing with the hair-thin Y-bones in the meat.

The next time I feel inclined to keep a carp, I may try pickling the fillets. Done right, the vinegar breaks down the bones.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/02/18 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
There are two kinds of bow fishermen. Those who do it to take fish to eat and those who do it just because they like killing something. I have no problem with the first type.

I make one exception to that. People should be encouraged to kill as many silver Asian carp as they can in the Midwest. The alleged damage caused by common carp to ecosystems is greatly overblown - common carp coexist just fine with other freshwater game fish. The Asian carp are different story, they pretty much cause a collapse of the food chain wherever they establish by eating all the plankton. A friend of mine in the St. Louis area says that they're the biggest threat to paddlefish in particular for this reason.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/03/18 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Max_S
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam

I make one exception to that. People should be encouraged to kill as many silver Asian carp as they can in the Midwest. The alleged damage caused by common carp to ecosystems is greatly overblown - common carp coexist just fine with other freshwater game fish. The Asian carp are different story, they pretty much cause a collapse of the food chain wherever they establish by eating all the plankton. A friend of mine in the St. Louis area says that they're the biggest threat to paddlefish in particular for this reason.

I thoroughly recommend everyone do this:
Posted By: DancesWithSquirrels

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/03/18 03:33 AM

Bowfishing certain species can certainly be fair, depending upon the time of year. When it comes to gar, bowfin, and other air breathers, there is certainly an advantage on the part of the bowfisherman. In addition, spawning fish move into shallows, lose all sense of caution, and therefore become easy targets for bowfisherman to pick off.

Bowfishing is a different kind of game. You certainly use different skills when standing up waiting for a fish to come into your line of sight compared to twitching a lure in just the right manner in just the right place to tempt a fish into biting. When comparing the skills and experience needed to hook a fish on rod and reel, simply
being accurate with a bow and arrow just doesn't compare.

As mentioned above, spawning and air breathing make a tremendous impact on bowfishing. Whereas with hook and line these things would just give you an idea of where the fish is and where to throw your bait, you'd still have to "get lucky" to hook into one, with a bow and arrow you just aim, draw, and release. It also goes without saying that when bowfishing, you cannot "catch and release." Bowfisherman must be aware of this and be ready to consume any fish they decide to take.

There should most certainly be rules that apply to bowfishing and perhaps even a few more for hook and line. The idea that you can take any size and amount of rough or "trash" fish is absurd. They should be regulated just as any other resource would. Any sportsman would get pissed if someone came and took home a cooler (or several) of trophy sized bass, catfish, or crappie. Why shouldn't we get upset over someone taking several trophy sized buffalo, carp, drum, or gar?

On the subject of bowfishing specifically, there should certainly be some sort of "season," just as there is a season for deer, duck, or any other game. These seasons would either be built around the spawn of certain species or simply prevent anyone from bowfishing during the spawn.

On to the topic of waste that inevitably comes up during these discussions, this crime should get much more enforcement and punishment than it does now. Whether you be a hook and line angler or bowfisherman, there is simply no excuse to dump your catch or your trash anywhere. As stated above, you must be prepared to consume whatever you take, and no, you are not "chumming" with your boatload of alligator gar and buffalo, nor are you "consuming" when you're using a (whole) fish as fertilizer. There are other, and better, options for both. Just imagine, for a second, that someone took a deer legally, dug a hole, and buried the entire thing - meat, skin, and all - as fertilizer. Surely you'd be fuming. Fish are no different. It's not unreasonable to eat the meat then use the remains as fertilizer. It should go without saying that we never waste something with potential use, and there should be clear and reasonable priorities/requirements for use much like the ones I've stated above.

For those who enjoy taking boatloads of fish... for both bowfishing and hook and line, we should encourage the taking of invasive species from our waters. No limits on size or amount when it comes to invasive fish, as long as one has taken a short one-time class on how to properly identify the species both in and out of the water. On the topic of classes, we've got "hunter's education," so why not "fisherman's education?"

I'm not against the sport of bowfishing, but I personally can't give the same amount of respect to a bowfisherman that shoots an 80lb buffalo as I can to an angler that hooks an 80lb buffalo and lands it. We should still be able to do both of these things, and for fish that cannot be landed by any other means (paddlefish), snagging and bowfishing should certainly be an option (once populations recover). We need to understand that rules are in place for a reason, and that we shouldn't follow them just because we're supposed to or even argue about whether or not literal or implied interpretations are correct. We should understand that we are managing a natural resource, and representing our sport in whatever we do concerning it. If we still want there to be fish, and still be able to fish for them, we should be responsible, reasonable, and most importantly, honest.

10000000% agree with the seasons. As a hard core gar fisherman, I enjoy taking home some gar to eat. Kinda hard when the majority of ‘em are scattered around the banks with puncture wounds. Especially alligator gar, these species, depending on the circumstances, have a longer growth period and reproduction period which makes keeping a stable population difficult at times.
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/14/18 01:47 PM

I run bowfishing trips on my airboat, and I am the guide who has a list of people who will take all the carp and buffalo I give them if my customers don't want them. I have seen the rotting fish from guides who toss the fish in the water after pictures are taken at the boat ramp. That makes me mad. If you ever see a guide or anybody else do that, then call the game warden immediately.

As long as I am here I might as well get a plug in. My guided bowfishing trips are on the Brazos River, $125/Person with 2 person minimum. Trips start at sundown and last 4 hours. I supply everything you need. Once you take a trip in a 400hp airboat, bass boats will seem boring. (817) 929-7636 - Charles
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/20/18 02:16 PM

I think we all have our opinions on what is fair and not fair and even what people do with the fish they catch legally... so I will reserve my opinion on that aspect... but this is ridiculous. These were left right on the boat ramp. I had to move them to back my boat down to the water. So you didn't want your fish, I get it.. dump them somewhere where it is not someone else's problem to care for. All of these fish were hunted with a bow.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/21/18 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Jake Blood
I think we all have our opinions on what is fair and not fair and even what people do with the fish they catch legally... so I will reserve my opinion on that aspect... but this is ridiculous. These were left right on the boat ramp. I had to move them to back my boat down to the water. So you didn't want your fish, I get it.. dump them somewhere where it is not someone else's problem to care for. All of these fish were hunted with a bow.

Alternatively, if you don't want your fish, don't kill it. It isn't just an inconvenience to others by dumping it (whether on the ramp or in the middle of nowhere), it's illegal.

Posted By: BMART

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/21/18 01:35 PM

The idiots that dump and cause a nuisance should be dealt with, hope the warden get these deplorables
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/21/18 03:27 PM

When I hear and see something like that, it's seems like someone probably did it that has an agenda.
The penalties for doing something like that need to be more severe.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/21/18 04:43 PM

I think there's bow fishing, and then there's bow killing.
all the differences are posted above.. bow killing is not good.
realmad
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/22/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Max_S
Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster

The next time I feel inclined to keep a carp, I may try pickling the fillets. Done right, the vinegar breaks down the bones.

When I was a kid, our neighbor was a commercial fisherman...they took the carp, gutted them, cut their heads off, put them in a pressure cooker, and canned them in pint jars...made salmon croquettes out of them...better than salmon croquettes made from salmon. Carp are excellent table fare prepared this way. Buffalo rib meat is fantastic eating, as well....

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/22/18 09:45 PM

Almost forgot to give my opinion on bowfishing...with the demise of commercial fishing on most, if not all of the fresh water lakes, it seems bow fishing fulfills a need to reduce the number of roughfish in a given body of water. If you have ever spent any time speaking with a commercial fisherman, you will understand that over regulation by the TPW was a primary element in the demise of commercial fishing. Therefore, I could not in good conscience support more restrictive regulations on the sport of bow fishing, lest I would partly to blame for destroying a needed service of reducing the rough fish population within our lakes. I do however believe that those who engage in the practice should learn to utilize the resources they have taken, even if they give them to a soup kitchen...

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Almost forgot to give my opinion on bowfishing...with the demise of commercial fishing on most, if not all of the fresh water lakes, it seems bow fishing fulfills a need to reduce the number of roughfish in a given body of water. If you have ever spent any time speaking with a commercial fisherman, you will understand that over regulation by the TPW was a primary element in the demise of commercial fishing. Therefore, I could not in good conscience support more restrictive regulations on the sport of bow fishing, lest I would partly to blame for destroying a needed service of reducing the rough fish population within our lakes. I do however believe that those who engage in the practice should learn to utilize the resources they have taken, even if they give them to a soup kitchen...

Rough fish are a necessary part of the ecosystem. Baby carp provide excellent forage for bass, and studies have shown that the bass are better off with carp than without. Of course, that's just one example, though there are plenty.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 01:55 AM

Kill all the grass carp you can

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Notaguide
Kill all the grass carp you can

You have to be careful about that, some of those fish are privately owned. If you're not sure, it's best to release them.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 04:32 AM

Rough fish are a necessary part of the ecosystem. Baby carp provide excellent forage for bass, and studies have shown that the bass are better off with carp than without. Of course, that's just one example, though there are plenty.

Yes, rough fish in balance are a necessary part of the ecosystem, but I was specifically addressing the relative over abundance of them.

Since I focus on crappie fishing, the relative forage consumption of Bass is not high on my list...other than, I do keep/consume all the legal bass I catch to get their relative numbers down, to limit their predation on crappie.

I still don’t believe that adding a new set of regulations is warranted based on any facts I have seen herein.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 05:09 AM

Yes, rough fish in balance are a necessary part of the ecosystem, but I was specifically addressing the relative over abundance of them.

Since I focus on crappie fishing, the relative forage consumption of Bass is not high on my list...other than, I do keep/consume all the legal bass I catch to get their relative numbers down, to limit their predation on crappie.

I still don’t believe that adding a new set of regulations is warranted based on any facts I have seen herein.

The primary factor affecting the quality of any fishery is human interaction, whether it be pollution, overharvest, etc. Any body of water can only support so many fish, and there is a delicate balance at play. We should all take a lesson from Mao Zedong's Four Pests Campaign. Impacting any species, no matter how "undesirable," has severe ecological consequences.

TL;DR on the Four Pests Campaign: China thought it'd be a great idea to get rid of mosquitos and flies because they spread disease, and rats and sparrows because they ate crops. They killed a ton of these animals, ignoring that rats and sparrows ate more than just crops. In just two years it led to an explosion in the locust population, which worsened an already existing famine that killed 20-45 million people.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 05:54 AM

I bowfish and am fairly serious about it. I have a bass boat, then I have a fan boat set up specifically for bowfishing. It's set up with a fan and 6 big 400HPS lights run of a generator. I have been checked by TPWD many times with 2 full 55 gallon drums on board and overflowing into the floor at the ramp. Never had an issue from them and more than a few of them tell me I'm doing the lake a favor.....

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 05:59 AM

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 06:44 AM

Originally Posted By: ToasterWEyes
I bowfish and am fairly serious about it. I have a bass boat, then I have a fan boat set up specifically for bowfishing. It's set up with a fan and 6 big 400HPS lights run of a generator. I have been checked by TPWD many times with 2 full 55 gallon drums on board and overflowing into the floor at the ramp. Never had an issue from them and more than a few of them tell me I'm doing the lake a favor.....

That's an obscene amount of fish. Game wardens aren't biologists, many are anglers/hunters themselves, and are subject to the same biases and misinformation. As stated previously, carp have a positive effect on bass populations, and have been in this country for ~150 years. Buffalo are a native fish. Not to insinuate that we're only talking about carp and buffalo here, but that is what bowfishermen primarily target. In all that time, we've caught numerous record fish, and giant bass, buffalo, and carp all reside side by side in quality waters such as Lake Fork. Boats muddy the water far more than carp do. Millions upon millions of carp minnows provide excellent forage for all predator species. Common Carp and Buffalo don't eat up all the vegetation in the water, the invasive (or stocked) Grass Carp do. If a fishery isn't producing as it once was, human interaction is the first and final stop you'll need to make. People make fun of Alex Jones, but pollution does quite literally turn the freaking frogs (and fish) gay. http://www.independent.co.uk/environment...s-a7821086.html

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 07:26 AM

The point of mentioning the game warden encounters wasn't to justify what I do or try to paint them as experts....
It was to show that what I am doing is 100% legal.
I can tell you this. I see enough carp under those lights in a 8-10 hr night of bowfishing to know that if you're worried about the extinction of the common carp, rest easy. Bowfisherman won't even make a dent.
I can also say that I get as excited about killing a big carp or gar as I do landing a trophy bass. And frankly, as long as it's legal, I have no plans to stop.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 08:03 AM

Originally Posted By: ToasterWEyes
The point of mentioning the game warden encounters wasn't to justify what I do or try to paint them as experts....
It was to show that what I am doing is 100% legal.
I can tell you this. I see enough carp under those lights in a 8-10 hr night of bowfishing to know that if you're worried about the extinction of the common carp, rest easy. Bowfisherman won't even make a dent.
I can also say that I get as excited about killing a big carp or gar as I do landing a trophy bass. And frankly, as long as it's legal, I have no plans to stop.

All waters will support a certain biomass of fish. Remove a 30lb specimen, and 10x 3 lbers will replace it. Killing the big fish will do nothing but make the fish smaller over time, and give the illusion of "overcrowding," thus leading to more killing and perhaps complete removal. It's not about legality, it's about ethics and morality. You wouldn't want people taking two 55 gallon drums of big bass, crappie, or catfish, as that would leave nothing but the small ones. Why no one can extend that same logic to other species baffles me. It is infinitely more rewarding and challenging to land the fish on a rod and reel than spotlighting it from above. It's interesting to note that spotlighting deer and other game is illegal for the very reason that it makes it so easy. And if it's so easy, can you really even call it a sport?

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 08:42 AM

You ever tried bowfishing? If not you should....
Then you might know what you're talking about. I have caught plenty of fish on rod and reel as well as taking them with a bow. You are right, it's easy to shoot a few fish. But to hunt down the big ones (and hit the quick smaller ones) takes skill and a knowledge of what they are doing during that particular time of year to locate them. And I promise they don't freeze up when the light hits them...
At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter if we agree or not. The law is on my side. Therefore, I will continue to enjoy my "sport" along with angling in the traditional sense.
If you ever want to give it a try, PM me. It'll change your life. Just leave your Hillary Clinton T shirt at home. (I know, I shouldn't have. But I couldn't resist.)
Good luck in your fishing.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/23/18 12:25 PM

[quote=ToasterWEyes]I bowfish and am fairly serious about it. I have a bass boat, then I have a fan boat set up specifically for bowfishing. It's set up with a fan and 6 big 400HPS lights run of a generator. I have been checked by TPWD many times with 2 full 55 gallon drums on board and overflowing into the floor at the ramp. Never had an issue from them and more than a few of them tell me I'm doing the lake a favor.....

That's an obscene amount of fish. Game wardens aren't biologists, many are anglers/hunters themselves, and are subject to the same biases and misinformation. As stated previously, carp have a positive effect on bass populations, and have been in this country for ~150 years. Buffalo are a native fish. Not to insinuate that we're only talking about carp and buffalo here, but that is what bowfishermen primarily target.

soap Not to be rude, but man, you need to get over yourself. It is highly apparent, you are not a fisheries biologist either, rather it seems that you are a well intentioned fisherman, trying to stop what you perceive as abuses against your ablility to catch a “record fish of every species”, as you have more or less stated in other posts. More regulations, just to help you fulfill your crusade, will not happen. Basically, the GW’s routinely visit with their in house biologists regularly, and do tend to keep up with what is happening on lakes they are responsible for...in fact, whenever, I need to talk to a biologist, I call my local GW for a name/number.

In theory, your bandwagon is correct, you have to maintain a balance. In practice is where it falls short, in fact our lakes are over run with rough fish these days, and need to be removed to get the lakes back in balance. Since you have a keen interest, I would suggest you work towards a degree in fisheries biology, maybe the truth of the matter and the truth of your perception will meet somewhere along the way, and quite possibly an answer might be found on how to best maintain lakes in equilibrium...hint, human interaction is the key, as is wide open regulations on rough fish harvest. While, I do personally appreciate your sense of right/wrong, and your desire for a better planet/lakes/fisheries...this very reason, is why the lawmakers have fisheries biologists...to make decisions based on fact rather than emotion, with a strong emphasis on theory, prior practices, as well as best practices. Good post though, kind of a fun rant (I do appreciate your concern), points out to me what a commendable job the state is doing in the area of rough fish administration.
Posted By: richg

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/27/18 04:45 PM

At one time, long ago, and in another State, I took my camera and joined a bow fisherman. I was into shooting tons of pictures back then.

In an hour or so, he shot two large garbage cans full of carp. I asked what he did with them. He said he had a neighbor who owned a pig farm. Pigs, apparently, will eat anything.

At least the dead fish were used for some purpose, as opposed to being left to rot by the launch.
Posted By: bowhuntfisher

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/27/18 09:03 PM

I'm not a biologist, and I don't need to be to know there are no shortage of carp out there in Texas. I'm sure that any type of legal harvest, including bowfishing does NOT make a dent in the population. I live in the RGV and and more than once, I have called Game Wardens on illegal aliens using GIL NETS and they have always been full of carp. Now we all can agree that GIL NETS can hurt populations. Well not on carp down here anywways, still plenty of them down here too.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/27/18 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Blood

These people have been dumping rough fish at the Lake Worth ramp for probably 5 or 6 years. Game Wardens say they are "watching" for them but every other week theres another batch of em tossed out on the ramp. Its happening frequently enough that a bunch of buzzards have decided to make Arrow S Park (820 Bridge) their home. Wait till summer gets here, 110 degree heat indexes and rotting fish make for a rather unpleasant experience. Whoever is doing it also reads these threads, last time we called them out on it on the forum the next Wed night we showed up to an actual pile, probably 15-20 fish, right in the middle of the boat ramp.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/27/18 09:55 PM

That is sad... like I said, I don't get into discussions about what people do with their fish, and didn't know it was illegal to just dump fish like this... But was upset that they do it like this, where it affects other fisherman. The same guys you would need to flag down on the water if your rig died. have a little respect at least...
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/27/18 10:44 PM

Many of you would change your mind and support bowfishing if you had seen as many gar as I have seen with crappie and bass in their stomachs. I am no biologist, but it does not take a science degree to make personal observation. I can tell you the fact is that gar prefer to eat game fish over carp, buffalo, or drum. It makes me sick to think about how many game fish the big gar are eating every day. Most of the fish I see in gar stomachs are smaller game fish under 4 inches, but those are fish that could have grown into trophies. Anybody who tells you that gar do not have a negative impact on the game fish population just doesn't know what they are talking about.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/27/18 11:19 PM

I wish it was legal to gil net carp on certain lakes! Joe Poole and Lake Whitney come to mind. Carp do directly affect gamefish populations by eating their eggs and muddying up the water where non rough fish spawn. What is odd is that the sheer number of carp in certain lakes and that the carpers are so selfish they won't manage them or let anyone else manage them. Every time I see carp spawning I get my spear out and kill as many as possible. I give them away or use them to make cut and punch bait for catfish. Carp is not even an especially good cut bait unless salted.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/28/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: rickt300
I give them away or use them to make cut and punch bait for catfish.

Speaking only for myself rick, but you stated what I think is the fundamental difference between what I posted and what you do..... no waste.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 02/28/18 04:08 PM

Wow, sounds like I need to head to Lake PooLe with my Bow during the carp spawn!
Lol, JK, I have plenty of targets down here when they (carp) spawn.
But most waters are murky down here and if the carp are not spawning on top, you cant see them to shoot them, so for the rest of the year, they flurish, unfortantely. Same with Gar, and Gar do love to eat Bass for sure, but I'm glad TPWD put a limit on Alligator Gar for 1 a day. Manage the resource, Hmmm think that has been said before on here.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/01/18 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: bluesea112
Many of you would change your mind and support bowfishing if you had seen as many gar as I have seen with crappie and bass in their stomachs. I am no biologist, but it does not take a science degree to make personal observation. I can tell you the fact is that gar prefer to eat game fish over carp, buffalo, or drum. It makes me sick to think about how many game fish the big gar are eating every day. Most of the fish I see in gar stomachs are smaller game fish under 4 inches, but those are fish that could have grown into trophies. Anybody who tells you that gar do not have a negative impact on the game fish population just doesn't know what they are talking about.

If that's what we're going by, then we'd have to kill other bass, catfish, and essentially all predatory species. It's a fish eat fish world down there, and it's better for them to die small than big, as it allows those that survive to get bigger simply by virtue of there being less competition. To be honest, I don't like the concept of bowfishing whatsoever, but what really bothers me is the killing of large fish that maintain population through breeding, pass on their "trophy genes," and keep all the small ones from taking over.
Posted By: redace1

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/01/18 04:30 AM

I'm no expert on the topic. But I see more carp and gar on a regular basis than most other fish because of their top water feeding habits.
I can't imagine bow fishing could ever have an impact on their numbers so go for it.
But leaving any wildlife killed on the ramp or dumping them is irresponsible. Be it deer, dove, quail, squirrel, etc.
If you are going to take the life do it for a purpose.
JMHO.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/01/18 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: redace1
I'm no expert on the topic. But I see more carp and gar on a regular basis than most other fish because of their top water feeding habits.
I can't imagine bow fishing could ever have an impact on their numbers so go for it.
But leaving any wildlife killed on the ramp or dumping them is irresponsible. Be it deer, dove, quail, squirrel, etc.
JMHO.

Gar breathe air, so you're going to see quite a bit of them if they're around.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/01/18 01:49 PM

JMHO.

Yea, there are so many gar in one lake I fish, I am going to have to buy a bow fishing outfit and walk the bank to knock them down a bit, then maybe I can successfully wade fish for crappie....of course, it would be much faster and easier, if I could legally just take a .22 and a few boxes of shells...If there are ANY TPW biologists in the House, please send me a PM, we seriously need to open up the regulations a bit to rid some of our lakes of all these rough fish...particularly since they are taking over our lakes...

soap de violin taz
Posted By: skeeterzx202

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/06/18 04:45 PM

cannot bowfish for game fish such as bass- it is illegal. only carp and gar- rough fish.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/07/18 02:40 AM

JMHO.

Gar actually can use Gil’s to filter o2 or gulp air. They spend over 90% of their lives using gills.
You really should learn about the subject you are talking about.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/07/18 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: 9094
JMHO.

Gar actually can use Gil’s to filter o2 or gulp air. They spend over 90% of their lives using gills.

Just because gar spend most of their time breathing with their gills doesn't mean they don't breathe air.
Of course I'm anti-bowfishing, you'd be too if the roles were reversed and carp were prized while bass (or whatever your favorite fish happens to be) were bowfished.
It's unwise and immature to throw out accusations.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/09/18 03:32 AM

Posted By: BMART

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/09/18 12:46 PM

Unfortunate when a subject about fishing turns into political name calling, I see this in other fishing forums too

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/09/18 02:36 PM

Nice Buffalo carp there ToasterWEyes.

Are Buffalo good to eat, do they have the same amount of bones in the meat? I have noticed their meat is whiter than the common and grass carp meat is. I have only noticed when I cut them up to use for cut bait.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/09/18 02:59 PM

I would disagree with you, I doubt Gar is even close to the top predator of bass. I support bowfishing. But this is not a reason to support it.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/09/18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: 9094
JMHO.

Just because gar spend most of their time breathing with their gills doesn't mean they don't breathe air.
Of course I'm anti-bowfishing, you'd be too if the roles were reversed and carp were prized while bass (or whatever your favorite fish happens to be) were bowfished.
It's unwise and immature to throw out accusations.

Odd can you say why Carp are not "prized"? Has it occurred to you there is a reason Carp are not "prized"? Or why they are called "rough" fish? Could be a very good reason they are legal to bowfish, has that come to mind for you? It is guys like you that refuse to manage the resource that are the reason carp are legal to bowfish along with their other not so "prized" traits.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/09/18 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD

I would disagree with you, I doubt Gar is even close to the top predator of bass. I support bowfishing. But this is a reason to support it.

I would say that the various species of gar are at least equal to the Bass in terms of predators of smaller fish. One time I made the long walk to the Trinity under a bridge in east Texas to find two gar that had been caught and their large "backstraps" removed to eat. These fish were close to 100 pounds in weight and through their ribs I could see at least 20 1 pound sand bass in each one of them. Not many Bass could have that many fish in them of that size.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/09/18 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bowhuntfisher
Nice Buffalo carp there ToasterWEyes.

Are Buffalo good to eat, do they have the same amount of bones in the meat? I have noticed their meat is whiter than the common and grass carp meat is. I have only noticed when I cut them up to use for cut bait.

Buffalo are good to eat and do not have the bony curse of carp. They also fight very hard, are prettier than carp, get over 40 pounds and there would be far more of them if there were fewer Carp. I would support the near extinction of Carp and stocking Buffalo in their place. Buffalo are actually useful fish.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/09/18 09:55 PM

rickt300,

Thanks for the info.
Every once in a while, I shoot a Buffalo along with the common grass carp, I will now be intrigued to eat that one and not use it for cut bait.
I too would rather have Buffalo over common carp if they are good to eat. I also notice fewer of Buffalo in my area, that does not mean there not a lot fo them, cause there are a lot, it's just most lakes and canals down here are infested with the common grass carp, some of the illegal gil netters down here keep them in check, but even thats not enough to hurt the population.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/10/18 02:48 AM

I think Buffalo inhabit deeper water on average than the common carp. I used to fish from the boat slips on Eagle mountain lake near the dam and caught many Buffalo in 20 plus feet of water.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/10/18 07:33 AM

Guys I shot those buffalo on Lake Whitney. One thing that I have noticed is that all the larger than average buffalo that I have shot have come on points and banks with deep water very near. And when they get spooked they run deep as fast as they can get there. So I do believe you're right Rick. I use a lot of the same knowledge that I use to find big bass to locate big carp, buffalo, and gar when bowfishing. You have to understand what those fish are needing at that time of year.
Bowhuntfisher, I'm not going to bs you, I don't eat buffalo or carp. But I do give them to people that will and they are a lot more excited about buffalo than carp. 3-4' gar are what they really want though.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? - 03/10/18 02:14 PM

JMHO.

I agree with your perspective...unfortunately, sometimes the purpose is simply to reduce the population...carp and gar are a lot like wild hogs...numbers are out of control...maybe if some of those carpers would practice “catch and grease”, the problem would not be so out of control on most of our lakes...I, for one, would support Gil netting on the most problem lakes...or shooting them with .22 on the more rural lakes...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum