Texas Fishing Forum

new to the central texas area ( Round Rock )

Posted By: striperdave

new to the central texas area ( Round Rock ) - 01/16/18 12:10 PM

Hi,
I'm new to the Round Rock area and looking for the right forum to start learning about local fishing. This is really the only forum I could find that had active fishing reports etc.
I need to be sure I'm on the right forum for new guys and want to learn about the type of fresh water fishing I can expect in my area. I've been a salt water offshore fisherman for years. I guess its time to learn how to bass fish!
Thanks in advance.
Dave
Posted By: sae

Re: new to the central texas area ( Round Rock ) - 01/16/18 12:44 PM

Good people and good info here. Welcome!
Posted By: SlabSeeker

Re: new to the central texas area ( Round Rock ) - 01/16/18 01:22 PM

striperdave,

Welcome to the forum. What type of fish are you looking to target? There are several great lakes around your area.
Posted By: boocat

Re: new to the central texas area ( Round Rock ) - 01/16/18 03:05 PM

You found the right place.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: new to the central texas area ( Round Rock ) - 01/16/18 06:24 PM

Your in a great central location. Lots of different waters to fish with-in 30 min.-1 hr. of R/R.
Posted By: ClarkBird

Re: new to the central texas area ( Round Rock ) - 01/16/18 06:29 PM

If you're on Facebook, look up "Keep Austin Fishing" You'll have to be approved to join but there is a wealth of information in that group.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: new to the central texas area ( Round Rock ) - 01/21/18 05:13 PM

Welcome to the Centex! smile

I live on Lake Travis in the Spicewood area. Really, only a few years back we had a great community of guys, and some serious sticks, on AustinBassFishing.com. Sadly, lots of the main guys moved on and the forum was sold. Now there's a few of us left there but the uninvited and unwanted spam invasion is so discouraging that a bunch of us are moving here to TFF. Including me.

On TFF I look for topics related to our area, using the Search function and entering keywords like "Travis," "Austin," "LBJ," "Buchanan," "Georgetown," "Stillhouse," "Fayette," et al. I don't enter the word "lake" because that will pull up every topic that has that word in its title and there are many. wink

One of our guys has suggested to TFF that an area-specific set of topics/threads be created. Big job, prob'ly; but it would aid many of us who mostly fish our locales, like the large community of Fork fishermen up here in TFF Land do.

Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: new to the central texas area ( Round Rock ) - 01/22/18 12:15 AM

If you're interested in some really pretty moving water fishing you might look into the light tackle -- especially fly and tenkara -- fishing in the local rivers. Rio Grande Perch, largemouth and Guadalupe bass, bream, catfish, carp, and more, all abound in the San Gabriel River and Brushy Creek. I too am a salt water guy, but I have had some awesome trips in that area with the two weight and the half weight. It's a great area if you like that kind of fishing; clear moving water in pastoral setting. Talk to the guys at Living Waters fly shop there.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: new to the central texas area ( Round Rock ) - 01/22/18 04:42 PM

welcome To the TFF! Lots of good water bodies to fish in your area! The Colorado River,Llano River,and the Guadalupe River are all super good. Not to mention the lakes on those rivers. There are also a lot more places to fish. Plenty of LMB,Striped Bass,White Bass,etc. The more you fish an area and water body the better you will get in learning the patterns of the fish. Good luck. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum