Texas Fishing Forum

Ruidoso Fishing

Posted By: Wes H

Ruidoso Fishing - 12/31/17 05:14 PM

We are heading up to Ruidoso next week for some skiing, but I would like to sneak some fishing in as well. Anyone know if any nice spots in the area?

My searches online have lead to not much. In fact, it's a little disappointing with this being the headline pic for the visit ruidoso website

Posted By: balata9999

Re: Ruidoso Fishing - 12/31/17 05:28 PM

Grindstone lake is the only place I have ever caught anything. You can catch a lot of 10-12in trout on salmon eggs, use as light of line as possible, 2 or 4lb test and a split shot about 12-18 inches above the hook. I prefer to walk around the lke to the opposite end from the parking. I dont know how feasible any of this will be in the winter or if it is fishing good in the winter and how long ago it was stocked.. In the fall it is usually pretty good for small fish.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Ruidoso Fishing - 12/31/17 05:35 PM

You can get a "Tribal" permit from the Inn of the Mountain Gods and fish the lake located on site. Has some nice trout. You can also fish the "holes" on the river that goes through the town. Was there during Thanksgiving and caught some nice small ones on flies while the wife fed the machines.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Ruidoso Fishing - 12/31/17 11:23 PM

The only place I’ve seen that looked fishable was at the Mtn Gods, beautiful place...The rest of Ruidoso, not so much. But Cattle Barons restaurant is good.
Posted By: jfe

Re: Ruidoso Fishing - 01/01/18 08:08 PM

Silver Lake on 244 between Cloudcroft and Ruidoso. My grandson caught several there.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Ruidoso Fishing - 01/01/18 09:04 PM

Had a couple of good days on that lake^
Posted By: Dabaker421

Re: Ruidoso Fishing - 01/02/18 06:48 PM

http://www.ruidoso.net/visitor-information/outdoors/fishing

Fished all of these and have caught plenty at most. The rivers are hit and miss, but better chance for big ones.
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Ruidoso Fishing - 01/02/18 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Wes H
We are heading up to Ruidoso next week for some skiing, but I would like to sneak some fishing in as well. Anyone know if any nice spots in the area?

My searches online have lead to not much. In fact, it's a little disappointing with this being the headline pic for the visit ruidoso website

don't be too disappointed with the pic, he doesn't even know how to use a spinning reel.
Posted By: Wes H

Re: Ruidoso Fishing - 01/03/18 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
Originally Posted By: Wes H

don't be too disappointed with the pic, he doesn't even know how to use a spinning reel.

Yeah, that's what I was meaning. They choose this picture to represent their cities fishing lol

Thank you for the responses everyone
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum