Texas Fishing Forum

Tips on River Fishing?

Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Tips on River Fishing? - 11/22/17 07:19 AM

I've never had any luck fishing in the river. It seems like I can hardly ever even get bluegill/sunfish to bite, much less anything bigger. I catch fish fine in ponds, but am having trouble moving to larger water. Any advice for a novice bank fisherman?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Tips on River Fishing? - 11/22/17 02:22 PM

"The river"? Be more spacific.

Re: Tips on River Fishing? - 11/22/17 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
"The river"? Be more spacific.

The Trinity River in the DFW area. Targeting any and all species from the bank. As of this moment I'm currently after some blue and flathead catfish,freshwater drum, and the three buffalo species.
Posted By: Monkeypuncher

Re: Tips on River Fishing? - 11/24/17 06:05 PM

In lakes and ponds, wind moves the bait, in rivers, current moves the bait. The outside bends of rivers are usually were you will find fish. Also any structure that shields the fish from the current. They like to ambush bait coming around the structure. Logs, rocks, etc.

Re: Tips on River Fishing? - 11/25/17 07:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Monkeypuncher
In lakes and ponds, wind moves the bait, in rivers, current moves the bait. The outside bends of rivers are usually were you will find fish. Also any structure that shields the fish from the current. They like to ambush bait coming around the structure. Logs, rocks, etc.

Thanks for the tips!
Posted By: tuglyfe

Re: Tips on River Fishing? - 11/28/17 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Monkeypuncher
Also any structure that shields the fish from the current. They like to ambush bait coming around the structure. Logs, rocks, etc.

Can't emphasize this enough. Fish features in the water and you will find fish. Depending on water temp and the species they can also lurk in different depths. Try mixing up your retrieval or drift. But as @Monkeypuncher pointed out, following the current will give the best presentation. Dead drift can be extremely lethal as well as swinging. Just depends on the fish. Good luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum