Texas Fishing Forum

Ramp Question

Posted By: Fishbonz

Ramp Question - 11/21/17 06:07 PM

My home lake is a small lake with three Ramps.With the lack of rains, this fall,the lake has come down about 2-3ft and exposed a lot more of the ramps.With more ramp exposed how do you know when the ramp is unsafe to launch an 18ft fiberglass bass boat. Is there a big drop off at the end of the Ramp that will cause the trailer to be compromised?
Posted By: Timberking

Re: Ramp Question - 11/21/17 06:35 PM

Find a duck hunter coming in with some waders. The end of the ramp is probably a big drop. Enough to hang an axle.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Ramp Question - 11/21/17 06:36 PM

go wading?
Posted By: Mo

Re: Ramp Question - 11/21/17 08:04 PM

a lot of ramps do have drop offs , only one way to find out

Mo
Posted By: BODA

Re: Ramp Question - 11/22/17 03:31 PM

watch your sonar as youre backing down,
poke around with a fishing rod,
2-3 ft low shouldnt be an issue, not for a little boat (no offense)
Posted By: RandyK

Re: Ramp Question - 11/22/17 06:49 PM

one of those lure retrievers that are the extendable type. or bring a piece of pvc.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Ramp Question - 11/23/17 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
My home lake is a small lake with three Ramps.With the lack of rains, this fall,the lake has come down about 2-3ft and exposed a lot more of the ramps.With more ramp exposed how do you know when the ramp is unsafe to launch an 18ft fiberglass bass boat. Is there a big drop off at the end of the Ramp that will cause the trailer to be compromised?

Is this Waxahachie or bardwell?
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Ramp Question - 11/23/17 12:48 PM

Time to check the ramps for catfish holes up under the edges. Make a note of any holes you find and then go back and noodle the holes for big cats when the water level comes up next May and early June. I used to know about every ramp hole on the OK side of Texoma.

Re: Ramp Question - 11/23/17 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: steveiam

Waxahachie

Re: Ramp Question - 11/23/17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: BODA
watch your sonar as youre backing down,
poke around with a fishing rod,
2-3 ft low shouldnt be an issue, not for a little boat (no offense)
None Taken
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Ramp Question - 11/23/17 02:28 PM

Can’t you wait until someone else in front of you launches their boat to see if they drop off?

Re: Ramp Question - 11/23/17 02:50 PM

I`ve constructed a few BamBoo condos that I want to drop in the lake but I don`t think my boat has a shallow enough draft to pull it off with the lake being 3ft low and all that ramp being exposed(lol) and It does`nt look like we are getting any of mother nature`s H2O any time soon to bring the lake up so If there is anyone who would volunteer their shallow draft rig you would have the coordinates to these Crappie condos first hand on Lake Waxahachie.Just shoot me a PM.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Ramp Question - 11/23/17 06:47 PM

Pm sent sir but for anyone else when that lake is low i launch my toon just east of the middle ramp about 10 feet or so, it has rock bottom and no sudden drop off-
I’ve done this for many years and never had a problem -
Just remember there is no light there if you are there in the dark-

Re: Ramp Question - 11/23/17 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Can’t you wait until someone else in front of you launches their boat to see if they drop off?
roflmao roflmaoCmon now!
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Ramp Question - 11/24/17 05:16 AM

1 inch pvc is still flexible enough to let you bend it into the bed of a truck.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Ramp Question - 11/24/17 12:00 PM

Skid plates on each side of the trailer cure this problem. I would not have a trailer without them.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ramp Question - 11/26/17 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: steveiam

Waxahachie
the middle ramp at Waxahachie is good to go as of last Wednesday. Plenty of ramp. ....and when that ramp gets too dry, just move over about 20 ft to the right and back on down the rocks. Been there and done it a lot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum