Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink #9938748 04/26/14 08:54 PM
Champion1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I have never been in the boat with a elite guy so was really looking forward to it when I found out on Thursday I was going with him. Been in the boat with a lot of really good fishermen but somehow I knew this would be a little different. I know you can go out with some of the elites because they do some guiding but this would be in a competition environment at the Red River Open with money and a Classic invite on the line. As for me I was way behind as I only weighed in a 1.8 pounder the day before and needed about 9 pounds I figured to get a check and about 12 to get into the top 12 and fish Saturday. I knew we would be around fish though so I was pumped. Kevin was staying at the marina so it was really easy to launch, his wife backed us down and we were ready. He gave me a compartment to put my stuff in which my partner the day before didn't, so I thought that was really nice. His 2014 Basscat Cougar is wrapped in predominantly pink which is his trademark. He was very cordial to me right off but I could tell a bit stand offish I guess these guys never know what they are getting with co anglers so they are cautious. I told him that I fish a lot of tourneys and was used to it so whatever he needed to do I was ready. That seemed to put him at ease immediately. We were going to pool 3 which is about 61 miles and 2 locks to get there. About 1.5 hours of boat driving time one way.
When describing my day the only 2 words I can come up with are smart and efficient. Time is never wasted with him. Everything he does is to maximize the amount of casting time in prime water. It was simply amazing to watch. We would fish outside of every lock for as long as possible to maximize fishing time. When we came out of the first lock there were 70 boats in there. We were boat #12 leaving the lock, I counted. We passed 5 the first mile and the rest within 2 miles. Pink Basscat Cougars freakin fly! There was no staying in the middle of the river he would go from point to point because it is less distance again smart and efficient. No one ever caught us or even came close! We stopped in a little cove next to the second lock, to make a few casts before time to lock down again. It was a full 6 minutes before the next boat went by, again smart and efficient. We got to our spot in pool 3 and he started catching them pretty quickly, but they were small. He caught 3 and I caught one keepers. He would rifle threw several baits picking apart everything. Texas rig, buzzbait, crankbait, jig. He hit them about every way you can in rapidfire succession. He was making 2 casts to my one. Flips with his left hand so he doesn't have to change hands, smart, efficient.
We move to another area we both catch another one flipping into heavy brush. He is every bit as happy when I catch one as when he does. I thought that was awesome! He says we gotta go it aint happening down here like he thought it would. Hes adjusting to the conditions on the fly. We lock up to 4. In the lock we have about 20 minutes to sit and eat sandwiches and just talk. Something that almost never happens on a tournament day. I will cover some of our conversation later and the questions I asked and he answered. I ask how far we are running when we get out of the lock and he tells me exactly 2.8 miles and it will take us 4 minutes to get there exactly. Smart and efficient. He knows exactly how far and how long it takes to get virtually everywhere we go all day. Amazing! In pool 4 he is firing a crankbait, and moving faster than I have ever seen anyone do it. He catches a 3.5 pounder. Talks to a couple of guys he knows in there who have been in there all day and only have 5 small ones, they are all drowning worms. He aint picking up a worm. Continues to fire and is counting down the minutes to when we have to leave. Every second counts. With 3 minutes to go he catches a 4.5 pounder, he is happy but no time to celebrate gotta make a few more casts. Time to go, he cranks up and we are running 70 mph between massive stumps, makes a hard U turn and back up the river. We are the last boat in the lock before it closes. Smart and efficient.
We finish the day in pool 5, he is still cranking and moving. Our check in time is at 3, we check in at 2:59:50. That's called maximizing your fishing time!
OBSERVATIONS:
-We are good fishermen, he is better. We may be really good at a few things, flipping, worming, cranking whatever. He is great at everything. Its how he makes his living.
-He never stops til the tournament is over. We have all been in the boat with a guy having a bad day or are having one ourselves and just quits or gets mad and stops fishing. He accepts sometimes things aren't always gonna go the way you planned, but adjusts and keeps going anyway, always thinking I am one cast from a big one.
-He is 52 years old and is in really good condition. He has quite a bounce to his step for someone his age. I never saw him drink anything but water all day. No gatorade or sodas, I guess he understands this is a marathon not a sprint.
-We do not use our electronics anywhere near its capability. He can make his do just about anything it was designed to do. I was truly amazed at how he had everything in his graph working. I know guys that spend $5000 on graphs and all they do is turn it on and change screens every once in awhile.
QUESTIONS I ASKED: Some questions I asked and he declined to answer. I wont tell you all we discussed some of it I will keep to myself, but these are the basics:
-What do weekend anglers do wrong that you see?
Kevin: Lose focus too easily, don't change baits enough, and don't change locations enough.
-Whats the hardest part of your job?
Kevin: Making a living at it.
-Do sponsors approach you or do you have to seek them out?
Kevin: In all the years I have been doing this I have had exactly 2 call me up.
-How much time do you spend on the water a year?
Kevin: About 150 days.
-Whats your worst co angler story?
Kevin: I aint going there! (Laughs)
MY GENERAL VIEWS OF THE DAY:
It was better than I ever could have dreamed it could be. He is a genuinely polite and intelligent guy but wants to win and will do everything he can to do it. He truly loves what he does even after doing it for so long. His wife is his support group and gives him a hug and kiss when he leaves and the same when he gets back. They are truly a team. They were going in to have ice cream with Don Barone when I left. Don was nice enough to take a pic with us standing by his boat, but its upside down cause Don is electronically challenged he told me.LOL Kevin gave me 2 expensive crankbaits still in the box before I left. The same ones he was throwing. One for dirty water and one for clear. Don't make colors complicated he said, it aint rocket science! They will never see water, I have them on my desk to remind me of the day. Oh, I will order some just like them believe me, but I aint telling you guys what they are, they are my new secret weapon!

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9938792 04/26/14 09:20 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Really cool story. Thank you for sharing.

Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9938811 04/26/14 09:27 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Enjoyed the read; thanks.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9938858 04/26/14 09:53 PM
L
LunkerXpress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
There isn't an education like spending a day watching these guys compete. I judge the TTBC every year and get to go out for full days with 2 of the best pros from either tour for a full day of fishing. It has made me so much better when I am fishing. Excellent write up.

Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9938884 04/26/14 10:11 PM
Rob Lay Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Great read.

Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Rob Lay] #9939069 04/26/14 11:51 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Great read.

+1 Yes it was.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9939120 04/27/14 12:13 AM
B
Bass-N-Buck Master Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Sometimes even when u don't catch fish or a check the entry and opportunity are what makes it worth it!

Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9939208 04/27/14 12:50 AM
B
basseditor Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Great story.

I only fished one bassmaster tournament in the 1980s but what I learned helped me win money in other circuits ever since.

My friends who judge the TTBC have also said they learn so much. It definitely is worth it.

Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9939222 04/27/14 12:58 AM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Dang it, now I'm going to have to do the marshal thing or something. I would love the opportunity to learn from one of the good guys. Good write up.

Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9939360 04/27/14 01:50 AM
Debra Hengst Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Great read so glad you enjoyed the day with my friend KS.....was running in front of the Kitty Cat out of the lock yesterday until I needed to stop on another place since my weigh in was after yours. It was a pleasure to meet you and again really enjoyed your write up and hope you will join us again smile

Debra smile

Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9939424 04/27/14 02:19 AM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
That surprises me after the way he treated a 66 year old friend of mine in 2008. When he fished with him on Falcon as co-angler. That was the year before the elites did away with the co-anglers and he was one of the ring leaders of getting rid of them.
Great story.

Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9939567 04/27/14 03:28 AM
S
SoCal Tom Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Great read. Thanks

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9939785 04/27/14 09:51 AM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Great read, and I don't know if you got a check but it sounds like you probably got your money's worth seeing how he fishes!

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9940114 04/27/14 02:26 PM
Champion1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I definitely got my moneys worth.

One more question that I asked him was: Does the factory do anything different to Elite boats than to regular ones?
Kevin: No not at all, mine came straight off the line. The same with motors. Except Iaconelli's. The factory has to double glass the hull on his cause he tears them up so badly. We have to sell them at the end of the year so that wouldn't really be a good thing to do.

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Re: A Day Fishing with Elite Angler Kevin Short, K-Pink [Re: Champion1] #9940480 04/27/14 05:32 PM
L
LunkerXpress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
He may have been one of the ring leaders getting rid of the co anglers, but there wasnt one who wasnt on that train. Every pro I have been on the water with from BASS and FLW do not like having a co angler in the boat with them when fishing for money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide