Print Thread
Devils River Questions #9925804 04/22/14 01:50 AM
T
Tristin Riddle Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I am starting to plan a trip on the devils in a couple of weeks and I have a few questions that I need answering that a search didnt make clear. Is bakers crossing still open? If not can you put in anywere else? If we cannot put in anywere else than we will put in at rough canyon and have my dad drive us up to the shoals in a bass boat and we will try to paddle up a full day then just float back down the next and have him meet us at the shoals where amistad starts that next evening. I have lots of experience on amistad and the devils river arm but not past the first set of shoals where a bass boat cannot go. Also will there be anywere to camp on a days paddle upstream? Thanks guys.

-2X Texas bass fishing youth state champion in FLW and B.A.S.S
-Owner at 3R Guide Service, LLC
https://m.facebook.com/3RGuideServiceLLC/
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vd0vSRh-8d0
Re: Devils River Questions [Re: Tristin Riddle] #9926231 04/22/14 04:44 AM
D
Dale Griffin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Bakers is still accessible to the public.

Re: Devils River Questions [Re: Dale Griffin] #9926410 04/22/14 11:57 AM
T
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: Dale Griffin
Bakers is still accessible to the public.

Thank for the reply. Would a 5 day trip be enough time to fish the whole way back to rough canyon ramp from bakers?

Re: Devils River Questions [Re: Tristin Riddle] #9926993 04/22/14 03:56 PM
D
Dale Griffin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I'm not sure about that part. I think so as it's roughly 47 or something miles. Issue is I know the last bit is not a fun paddle as it feels more like a lake than a river. And that would take an extremely long time compared to what you're used to. Along with that wind could pick up and really put a damper on covering any ground. Hopefully some other people will chime in with their experience. Also you can call the Devils River TPWD and they are usually helpful themselves.

Re: Devils River Questions [Re: Tristin Riddle] #9927586 04/22/14 07:40 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
We did 24 miles in 5 days and felt rushed as far as fishing goes. I wouldn't want to do double that. You'd be paddling WAYYYYY more than you'd be fishing. The rapids make those miles go pretty slow with how low the water is. There's a lot of stop, get out, drag, get in, stop, get out, drag, get in, rinse and repeat.

Definitely doable, but if fishing is your priority, I think there are better alternatives.

You could talk to our outfitter, Amistad Expeditions. He can put you in and take you out on the stretch we did for a very reasonable price.

Here's a video of our trip if you're interested in seeing how it went:

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Devils River Questions [Re: Tristin Riddle] #9929086 04/23/14 04:22 AM
B
burton1795 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Just got back. Call brent at reel fly. Camping places are not that easy to come by. I have only done from state park to state park though. The comment about the wind is dead on. it sucks. We did 15 in 2 and a half days and felt pretty rushed.

Re: Devils River Questions [Re: YakFishField] #9931295 04/23/14 10:21 PM
T
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by YAK'N AGGIE
We did 24 miles in 5 days and felt rushed as far as fishing goes. I wouldn't want to do double that. You'd be paddling WAYYYYY more than you'd be fishing. The rapids make those miles go pretty slow with how low the water is. There's a lot of stop, get out, drag, get in, stop, get out, drag, get in, rinse and repeat.

Definitely doable, but if fishing is your priority, I think there are better alternatives.

You could talk to our outfitter, Amistad Expeditions. He can put you in and take you out on the stretch we did for a very reasonable price.

Here's a video of our trip if you're interested in seeing how it went:

Anyone ever done the 47 mile trip? Does 10 days sound better for it? With lots of fishing?

Last edited by TristinRiddleFishing; 04/23/14 10:23 PM.

Re: Devils River Questions [Re: Tristin Riddle] #9931352 04/23/14 10:49 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
With any river trip plan on only covering 6-7 miles in a day if you want spend any time fishing.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Devils River Questions [Re: Tristin Riddle] #9933946 04/24/14 07:04 PM
P
Puddler Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
Be careful about following everything yaknaggie suggests- it looks like he trespassed every night and that's not cool on any river. I know a few landowners out there and they get pissed finding firerings and trampled vegetation. Most folks dont realize (and I didnt until recently)that the gradient boundary determines the navigable stream edge, not dry land. Growing up paddling I can tell you that most folks dont have a clue-it's not the high water mark, or the vegetation line, or as Robert Field says "10 inches up and over". The new outfitters on the Devils need a refresher if that's what they are telling clients.
Best bet is to camp on rock islands and pack your fuel in and out. Usually there's a burn ban out there but nonetheless, I wouldnt count on finding enough firewood on islands anyway. "Leave no trace" ethics are especially important on this little river. Catch and release, [censored] in a wag bag, dont build fires, and maybe our grandkids can experience something special.
Keep in mind also that's it's dang low these days- but you will probably survive those "rapids", just stand up and walk out. wink

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide