Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
PPF: Pedal vs Paddle #9830462 03/17/14 01:31 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
The great debate of pedal vs paddle. Or is it?

America, and most of the world, craves polarization. Whether it's subconscious or completely knowing, people want to know where you stand on certain things.

Are you Republican or Democrat?
Are you Pro Choice or Pro Life?
Are you pro carbs or anti-carbs?
Are you Baptist, Aetheist or Catholic?
Are you a pedal or paddle kayaker?

As you can see, while we want everyone to be one or the other, if we are answering for ourselves, you might be a third or fourth option which isn't given. I know Libertarians, moderates, Methodists and folks who can enjoy both sides of the pedal vs paddle showdown.

Having a bit of research scientist in me, I did a little experiment over at yakangler.com a few weeks back to see if my hypothesis was correct. I set up a poll and asked if money were no object and you could have any one kayak which one would you choose.

With all the us vs them, pedal vs paddle rhetoric that floats around, I was expecting the paddlers to step up and stay firm. If they truly felt paddle kayaks were "truer to the sport" and pedal yaks were "not even a real kayak" as I had heard, the polls should be widely distributed among Wilderness Systems, Ocean Kayaks and others. I expected the pedal guys with Hobies and Natives to of course choose those. I expected about 15% to be Native and Hobie combined if the rhetoric were to hold true.

It didn't.

See the rest at : http://www.paynespaddlefish.com/2014/03/pedal-vs-paddle.html

Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9830508 03/17/14 01:47 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Great write-up Chris Payne. It makes me so disappointed to see people "looking" for something to divide kayakers. A couple times a week I have someone come in that says (With his head hung low) I only could afford brand-X kayak. I tell them to paddle what they can afford long as it's a safe unit, and that they have the ability to catch most the same fish then anyone else. Also I believe it's important to realize not all act this way and we have some excellent mentors helping newbie kayak fisherpeople get in to kayak out there. I don't care what brand kayak you have, or how much it cost. I just want another kayaker beside me to share the day,and the experience on the water.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9830556 03/17/14 02:00 PM
P
Patriot7Six Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Good stuff Payne I think you're onto something, for me I would really like to have a pedal yak but doing so would probably mean waiting another 6 months. So for me right now the question is do I want to wait for the Cadillac or have the budget car right now to drive the same roads with. Or maybe even take it a step further how many would even stay in a kayak when given the option between a yak and a fancy glitter boat? Like you said remove the money from the equation.
popcorn

Fight the good fight - 1 Tim. 6:12 flag
Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9830597 03/17/14 02:11 PM
B
Blakehock Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Really really enjoyed this one. Thank you for laying it out this way. I am pretty new to the kayak scene and didn't realize that until recently that there even was a rift between the two. I totally agree with your points as well. It can always be intimidating to try and talk to someone new. One of the reasons I got into kayak fishing was the community and how different it can be from the bass boat community. I hope that this topic which can divide that community will soon become a thing of the past. I think break downs like this help.

Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9830884 03/17/14 03:38 PM
Robbie Milam Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
My first kayak was much cheaper than what I own now. Get what you can afford and if you can test drive (demo)as many as you can. There are a bunch of good yaks out there.

Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9830902 03/17/14 03:44 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
The thing is, it's not everyone making the fuss. The old 80/20 rule.

80% of the problems are created by 20% of the people. Two of the guys that have been really nice and shared spots with me are the same guys that win a lot of tourneys. I was in my Coosa the first time I met both of them, they were in PAs. They didn't care what I was paddling and really didn't know me from Adam at that point. That taught me quickly to approach everyone as friendly until they prove otherwise. Some folks don't want to be bothered but that's usually more of a personality thing than a biproduct of the kayak they bought.

Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9830907 03/17/14 03:45 PM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
My first boat was an old town guide. It was cheep 14ft canoe. The stories that boat could tell. I still have it and will never sell it. Fishing should be happy. Not sad because you cant afford a fancy rig.

Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: christian myrick] #9830923 03/17/14 03:51 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by christian myrick
My first boat was an old town guide. It was cheep 14ft canoe. The stories that boat could tell. I still have it and will never sell it. Fishing should be happy. Not sad because you cant afford a fancy rig.

Now I have that song stuck in my head!

Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9830945 03/17/14 03:57 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Good post Chris, I started with a paddle kayak and only recently I'm considering a peddle drive. If I go with a peddle drive I'll keep my paddle yak as I feel they both have their place. I agree that $$ plays a big part of our kayak decisions for most of us but not everyone. I know people that have one or the other or both and they all have been very friendly and helpful to me.
I wonder what kind of response you'd get if you kept track of people who are serious fisherman or want to be serious fisherman vs the ones that only fish now and then or use their yaks just for sight seeing, or when they go camping.
I've really not seen much paddle vs peddle rivalry although I know it's out there.
The kayaking community seems to have a different type of people for the most part that are helpful and friendly. I think $ will always be a partial deciding factor in kayak choices but the yak you drive matters nothing to me, I'm just glad to see you on the water.

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: pelican] #9831082 03/17/14 04:43 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I've read your article three times Chris! cheers Couldn't decide whether to enter the discussion or just let sleeping dog in me just lie. rolfmao As you have stated you have some research scientist in you, I have to admit I have a lot of political incorrectness in me. argue

Taken from your report:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all the us vs them, pedal vs paddle rhetoric that floats around, I was expecting the paddlers to step up and stay firm. If they truly felt paddle kayaks were "truer to the sport" and pedal yaks were "not even a real kayak" as I had heard, the polls should be widely distributed among Wilderness Systems, Ocean Kayaks and others. I expected the pedal guys with Hobies and Natives to of course choose those. I expected about 15% to be Native and Hobie combined if the rhetoric were to hold true.

It didn't.

41% of the people participating in the poll chose a Hobie with a Mirage drive. Another 16% chose a Native with a propel drive. The comments were valuable as well. So many of them talked about money. "Well, if you're giving me $3,000, I'll take a PA," (Hobie Pro Angler).

57% of the people participating chose to get a kayak with pedals. Interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess its how you interpret the results but to me it says you couldn't GIVE a pedal boat to 43% of the folks responding. rolfmao

Of course it comes down to money, what and how you choose to spend it is always a choice between wants and needs. Ask those same folks if they would rather have pedal boat x or $3000 cash and see if the numbers change. rolfmao

Bang for the buck would be a better way to take the poll in my mind...If you were given $3000 to spend on any kayak or kayaks which one or ones would you choose. It still comes down to money but I don't think 57 percent of the folks would choose one pedal boat, especially if you stipulated you had to use it for the rest of your life on all type waters.

Any way I just wanted to liven up the debate. My own belief is that pedal boat have a big advantage in kayak tournament fishing and the reason so many folks are using them. rolfmao flame

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rabi...lectedIndex=113

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9831159 03/17/14 05:10 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Good thoughts Louis. I might go try that poll and see how it goes. Also, folks are welcome to chime in here if you want to. Tell you what, I'll start a new thread. You've got me curious now. It's all in the wording isn't it?. smile

Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9831203 03/17/14 05:24 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Let's say you can have any kayak on the market for free or a 2014 Ranger Z521 Comanche for free. You can use either one for a year but that is all you can fish out of. You don't have to pay for fuel or any maintenance for the boat. Anybody still taking the kayak?

Last edited by N.Tex_paddler; 03/17/14 05:28 PM.
Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: H.Town_paddler] #9831228 03/17/14 05:31 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I'll still take door #3. rolfmao

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9831267 03/17/14 05:42 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Dan,

I'd take the kayak. The only reason is in a power boat I couldn't fish a majority of the water I love to fish. Don't know if I could go a year without fishing LBL. A powerboat is tm only there. If I were in the metro mess, that question would be a lot harder.

Re: PPF: Pedal vs Paddle [Re: PayneFish] #9831351 03/17/14 06:15 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I'd take the Ranger for a year, only because it would be easier to get my dad out fishing. It's getting harder and harder for him to get in and out of the yak and he needs to move a round some.

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide