Print Thread
Another Raptor Voyage #9818068 03/12/14 05:27 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
I went to my favorite pond last night for a little windy fishing. Every time out is a new adventure since I am so new to this. My first challenge was that I couldn't get to the shallow water side to launch, so I had to improvise. There really is only 1 spot in this pond that stepping off the shore into the water is a good idea. The rest of the pond gets deep quickly. I found a spot that was flat enough to hold the kayak in place while I climbed aboard, which I did successfully without even getting my shoes wet. I decided that upwind would be the best way to go, that way I could drift with the wind. The only problem is that I left my wind sock in the front hatch. I called along the boat to the front hatch and returned to my seat successfully--again without getting my shoes wet (the water is still cold, and I hate cold feet).

I finally got the wind sock deployed and now I'm fishing. The sock did a very nice job of slowing my pace. I was able to fish each spot effectively. What I need to learn is how to position the wind sock on the anchor trolley (gonna have to install another one on the left side) to give me the boat position that I want.

The wind died, and the lake became glass. I hoisted up the sock an started paddling into the sunset. It really was beautiful. I can get the Raptor moving through the water too. I had a gopro, but since I can't tell if it is recording or not, I didn't get this. I also need to figure out a better place to put it than on my head. I saw a few fish hitting close to shore, so I grabbed my favorite bait (it's a secret) and went after them. I'm pretty sure they were mostly crappie and bluegill, but there was a bass or 2 mixed in. I had 3 or 4 solid hits, that I consequently missed. I was using a cheaper hook than usual, so I'm not sure if my misses were due to the hook or that I need to set hook differently from the kayak.

It got dark enough that I knew I needed to get off the water so there would still be just enough light for me to get everything back to the truck safely. Getting out of the kayak without shallow water is a whole other experience, but thanks to the stability of the Raptor, I was able to crawl on hands and knees to the very front of the boat to step off. Again, I successfully dismounted without even getting my shoes wet. Packed up, strapped on my new light bar, and called it another successful trip.

Re: Another Raptor Voyage [Re: swalker9513] #9818276 03/12/14 06:31 PM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
Where i locate my sock totally depends on the amount of wind. If its real windy i put one each side in the rear. Keeps the wind at my back. Mild days i keep one on my right side about the center of yak. In this case i usually sit side saddle dangling my legs over the side in the water.

Re: Another Raptor Voyage [Re: swalker9513] #9818781 03/12/14 08:59 PM
D
Dougy Offline
Angler
Angler
D
cool report!! cool

Re: Another Raptor Voyage [Re: swalker9513] #9818802 03/12/14 09:07 PM
S
SleepingTiger Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: swalker9513
I went to my favorite pond last night for a little windy fishing. Every time out is a new adventure since I am so new to this. My first challenge was that I couldn't get to the shallow water side to launch, so I had to improvise. There really is only 1 spot in this pond that stepping off the shore into the water is a good idea. The rest of the pond gets deep quickly. I found a spot that was flat enough to hold the kayak in place while I climbed aboard, which I did successfully without even getting my shoes wet. I decided that upwind would be the best way to go, that way I could drift with the wind. The only problem is that I left my wind sock in the front hatch. I called along the boat to the front hatch and returned to my seat successfully--again without getting my shoes wet (the water is still cold, and I hate cold feet).

I finally got the wind sock deployed and now I'm fishing. The sock did a very nice job of slowing my pace. I was able to fish each spot effectively. What I need to learn is how to position the wind sock on the anchor trolley (gonna have to install another one on the left side) to give me the boat position that I want.

The wind died, and the lake became glass. I hoisted up the sock an started paddling into the sunset. It really was beautiful. I can get the Raptor moving through the water too. I had a gopro, but since I can't tell if it is recording or not, I didn't get this. I also need to figure out a better place to put it than on my head. I saw a few fish hitting close to shore, so I grabbed my favorite bait (it's a secret) and went after them. I'm pretty sure they were mostly crappie and bluegill, but there was a bass or 2 mixed in. I had 3 or 4 solid hits, that I consequently missed. I was using a cheaper hook than usual, so I'm not sure if my misses were due to the hook or that I need to set hook differently from the kayak.

It got dark enough that I knew I needed to get off the water so there would still be just enough light for me to get everything back to the truck safely. Getting out of the kayak without shallow water is a whole other experience, but thanks to the stability of the Raptor, I was able to crawl on hands and knees to the very front of the boat to step off. Again, I successfully dismounted without even getting my shoes wet. Packed up, strapped on my new light bar, and called it another successful trip.

reading this, i kept on waiting on the part where you fall in the water and get completely wet. lol, i guess u stayed dry. so did u catch anything?

Re: Another Raptor Voyage [Re: swalker9513] #9818848 03/12/14 09:20 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
No fish were caught. The fish are starting to move around a little, but I missed on everything. I had a couple of what I am certain were crappie bites on my bass jig. Had a few bass hit, but I didn't stick them. I'm pretty sure it was the cheap hook. I don't normally lose fish on a hookset.

Re: Another Raptor Voyage [Re: swalker9513] #9818912 03/12/14 09:43 PM
C
Cudadude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Good to hear you had a good time sean taking the raptor out. I told ya it wouldnt disappoint ya..lol
If you need help doing the rigging or need ideas you have my Cell#

Re: Another Raptor Voyage [Re: Cudadude] #9819141 03/12/14 11:12 PM
C
CanadiYak Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Sounds like you tested and are getting a handle on the new ride

[Linked Image]

Tight-Lines Mike aka "Playing Hooky"
Previous Thread
Index