Page 1 of 2 1 2
never have used jigs... want to try them #9732860 02/12/14 10:45 PM
R
rayhoyer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
well title says all. i've got a tackle box with a big jig-head section... now what do i do with them?

what are some basic techniques and different uses for jigs? i hear they are good but just don't know where to start.

if it helps i am on the Guadalupe River between 35 bridge and Lake Dunlap.

any advice helps!

Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: rayhoyer] #9732930 02/12/14 11:11 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Different techniques work different times of the year or even different times of the day. So it is hard to say.

There are some excellent videos on youtube for crappie fishing with jigs. I suggest you look at some of them to learn the basic techniques, as it is easier to learn watching somebody do it than reading about how to do it. Or at least it is for me.

Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: rayhoyer] #9732984 02/12/14 11:33 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Well, I was told once (when I was young) by an older gent...Son, there ain't no bad way to drop a jig, unless you forgot to tie it on your line...Practice is your best teacher...that and go with someone who jig fishes...

Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: rayhoyer] #9733042 02/12/14 11:52 PM
R
rayhoyer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
i hear ya. what about as far as like stuff to add on to my jigs. i have a bunch of round head jigs... plastic worms? night crawlers?

i guess another question would be what do they fish like about jigs? are the eyes and colors an attractant or is it just for looks?

i know my questions probably sound dumb and too generic but just looking for a start. will be investigating youtube though to learn.

Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: rayhoyer] #9733147 02/13/14 12:33 AM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
I use jigs but I have always just used basic jigs and tube bodies or the simple tied jigs. I have never used the exotic jigs that are available.

I don't find any difference between plain unpainted jig heads and painted jig heads with eyes on them.

So my opinion is that they are more to catch the fisherman who buy them than the fish. But it is just my opinion and is not worth that much.

Colors do matter in the jig body, depending on the clarity of the water.

But I would prefer to let the experts explain all this. We have a lot of jig experts in this forum and they can provide better advice than I can.

Last edited by ezgoing; 02/13/14 12:36 AM. Reason: typo
Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: rayhoyer] #9733347 02/13/14 01:52 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: rayhoyer
well title says all. i've got a tackle box with a big jig-head section... now what do i do with them?

what are some basic techniques and different uses for jigs? i hear they are good but just don't know where to start.

any advice helps!
welcometo the TFF rayhoyer! EZ said it best ! get you some plain ole tubes and get after it until you feel like you want to invest in the more fancier one because in Crappie fishing you will lose a lot in the beggining getting hung up in brush.It won`t hurt to look at some of the Utube videos about catching Crappie and the different techniques also. Bankersalwaysfishing is from down your way maybe he can give you some tips if you ask him nicely.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: rayhoyer] #9733366 02/13/14 02:00 AM
R
rayhoyer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
thanks for the welcome.

thanks for all the pointer so far, i have a decent collection just from buying stuff on clearance and such, gonna try and put some stuff together.

you tube will help a bunch, unless some of said experts chime in with color advice dance2

however i will be trial and erroring till i get lucky! thanks for the help so far, this is a great site with lots of great info and advice. thanks everyone!

Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: rayhoyer] #9733391 02/13/14 02:05 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
No real need to spend a bunch of bucks on nibbles/etc. right now...Basic jigs work well most of the time...1 1/2 inch plastic bodies will work on crappie...1/16 or 1/8 jig heads are a good starting point....Here is one technique, drop the jig to the bottom, raise it up one reel crank and hold it still as you can...if you don't get a bite after you count to ten, move it a bit...right, left, up, or down...then hold it still again...repeat...

Fish believe the jigs are something to eat...and the more the jigs look like something they are feeding on, the better your chances. When the spawn is on, fish are protective of their nest areas and will "remove" anything that invades their nest area.

Find someone that jig fishes and take a few fishing trips with them...I feel sure there are several good jig fishermen in your area...just check them out...and study those jig fishing techniques online...the more you can master, the better your odds of becoming a jig fisherman...then you can REALLY begin to spend some money on tackle....Hope this information helps.

Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: rayhoyer] #9733402 02/13/14 02:07 AM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
welcome

"banker always fishing" is down that way ....like he sez ....
I bet he could give you a few tips (possibly in person)
maybe contact him ?
I would suggest keeping them vertical as much as possible at first
till you get the feel for it a bit ....
crappie hang in sum nasty jig eatin stuff ....
thick brush and such ....
straight up straight down at first brother

thumb
best a luck to ya

Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: rayhoyer] #9733410 02/13/14 02:10 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
OH I almost forgot. Once you start down the dark path of jiggin there is no turning back for you are about to embark upon a lifetime addiction of which there is no cure.The THUMP or Thumpitus.Some of the symptoms are, you will find yourself looking daily into the atmosphere in anticipation of the ideal day to get your thump fix on,taking off from work on a regular basis,always checking the weather forcast,spending extreme sums of $$$$ on tiny pieces of colorful plastics and meterials and in severe cases you could even develop ThumpusElbowus or Crappie Wrist.These are just a few that I can think of I am sure there are others but don`t be afraid you wont be alone for you will have a very large support group.I anit sayin i`m jus sayin

Fishbonz

Last edited by Fishbonz; 02/13/14 02:20 AM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: Fishbonz] #9733569 02/13/14 02:47 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Fishbonz is SO right...Keep in mind, I was taking a nap this afternoon...I was dreaming about feeling a tic on my line (from the worlds smallest crappie) and I woke myself up setting the hook!...Liked to have fell off the couch...just saying it gets in your blood... rolfmao

Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: crapicat] #9733635 02/13/14 03:06 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: crapicat
Fishbonz is SO right...Keep in mind, I was taking a nap this afternoon...I was dreaming about feeling a tic on my line (from the worlds smallest crappie) and I woke myself up setting the hook!...Liked to have fell off the couch...just saying it gets in your blood... rolfmao
rolfmao rolfmao rolfmaoI was in bed sleeping with my girl friend and set the hook and accidentally slapped her.I had some splanin to do rolfmao

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: Fishbonz] #9734090 02/13/14 05:10 AM
D
Dak’s Guide Service Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
rolfmao rolfmao rolfmaoI was in bed sleeping with my girl friend and set the hook and accidentally slapped her.I had some splanin to do rolfmao
rolfmao wife

1997 Ranger 392XT "Aggie"
2021 Sportsman Masters 227 “The Office”

Dak’s Guide Service 940-395-7838
daksguideservice.net
Lake Lewisville, Ray Roberts, and Texoma
Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: Fishbonz] #9734115 02/13/14 05:20 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz

rolfmao Stop it...I'm laughing so hard..my sides are hurting...I got to go pee... rolfmao rolfmao

Re: never have used jigs... want to try them [Re: rayhoyer] #9734206 02/13/14 06:27 AM
C
crope1 Offline
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
C
welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted By: rayhoyer

any advice helps!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide