Print Thread
Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced #9731179 02/12/14 02:43 PM
S
SleepingTiger Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Subject is misleading since i only been fishing for 2yrs now. LOL. Anyhoo, this weather sucks. I spend about $300 in cold weather gear and can't use it.

So stopped by cabellas last night and picked up a pair of artic mittens/gloves for $40, on sale from $100. Man those things are warm. But those gloves are clumsy and big. Wore it driving home last night, every time i make a turn, i hit the signal and wiper switch stick. LOL, car next to me thought i was crazy cuz the signal light switched back and forth while the wipers were going full speed.

Anyways, since the forum is almost dead, i was going to take some pics of my kayak and how I rigged my trolling motor. Dang it was cold last night so i will wait til this weekend. Some of you might appreciate how i rigged my TM.

Talk to my wife about how i hate car topping my PA, so we agreed i need a new vehicle. Not sure what I want, but it will be a pick up truck. So i work for a company that has deals with Ford and you can get the x-plan. I have purchased 4 new cars in my life and have never paid more than invoice. with the x-plan, the price is slightly above invoice. I am wondering if this is a good deal on F150's since the demand is high or should i just negotiate a deal myself. if you're not familiar with the x-plan, there is no negotiations, u just go in and tell them you are qualified for the xplan and they give u a price.

Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: SleepingTiger] #9731252 02/12/14 02:58 PM
K
Kayak_and_Crossbones Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K

Tiger,
I've bought several cars on the X-plan. I've tried to negotiate the price before telling them about the X-plan and it always beat my negotiated price. Just keep it simple and take the Xplan deal. smile

I'm in the same situation as you...terrible winter fishing. Really makes you start to doubt your skill as an angler.

I'll be putting a TM on my yak in the next few months, so I'm very interested in seeing your set up. I'm researching that topic as much as I can over the next few weeks.

Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: SleepingTiger] #9731278 02/12/14 03:03 PM
M
mjmfc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I'm not exactly sure where you intended to go with this post but I agree with the title.... I'm in the HVAC business so I get to fish a lot from October through March every year of my adult life. This year has been the toughest by far for me to catch fish. I've caught them in 40 something degree water in the past but I never remember fishing in sub 40 water and I can't recall the water temp being in the low to mid 40's for so long..... Good luck with your truck purchase

Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: SleepingTiger] #9731318 02/12/14 03:13 PM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I used x-plan on my last 2 trucks - a F150 and my current F250. Possibly could have negotiated a better deal but was happy with the deal and ease of dealing. They also added a $500 discount for my AQHA membership on the F250 which I have since been told they should not have allowed so it never hurts to present other discounts/etc that you may have access to. So, yes you can likely negotiate to X-plan pricing if you test a few dealerships and work for it......but that is the advantage of the X-plan - you don't have to. If you plan to stay in the DFW area for years to come, establish a relationship with a dealer and keep giving them first shot at both purchases and service....but negotiate when you need to.

As for the fishing - it's guaranteed you won't catch fish in this weather if you don't fish in this weather.

Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: SleepingTiger] #9731388 02/12/14 03:32 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Don't forget to go by TPWD and spend a bunch more of that BIG MONEY and get your TX numbers.
Otherwise you'll be giving them even more to pay the ticket!!!

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: RogerB] #9731476 02/12/14 03:52 PM
F
FishDragon Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Gah, I've got to buy a new car within the next 10 days or so...the wife totaled hers last week in the snow and we only get a week of rental coverage after the check is delivered.

Fishing's been bad for me too...but I still can't wait to get out again. I'm off on monday for president's day, and the wife isn't...so I really hope the weather's nice! Anybody else off that wants to fish let me know!

Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: SleepingTiger] #9731569 02/12/14 04:17 PM
S
SleepingTiger Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
ahhh, the temps are rising and hopefully the temp rises enough to get the water around 50 this weekend. maybe that is wishful thinking... but i have a feeling if the forecast is correct, the fishing should be great Sunday.

i needed to take a break from work so i jump on and rant.. so i have no idea where i am going with this thread.

yeah, i gotta get my registration. the good part is Mariner already paid the title fee so i only gotta pay the registration fee.

on the truck, that is what i was thinking.. im just not used to paying anything above invoice when it comes to cars. are trucks different?? So what i was wanting was a F150 Lariot supercrew with the V6 ecotech. Think i might stop by a dealer Saturday and check out some prices and options. Might stop by Toyota and check out the Tacoma. Toyota thinks their [censored] don't stink so I'm sure im fighting an uphill battle with them.

For you guys who have the F150, do you even bother to park it in the garage? I like to keep my cars in the garage, but its huge and i might have to clean it out to fit the truck.

oh yeah, i bought about $200 worth of slabs, jigs and swim baits for cold weather fishing... damn the drought and weather.

Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: FishDragon] #9731639 02/12/14 04:38 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: FishDragon
Gah, I've got to buy a new car within the next 10 days or so...the wife totaled hers last week in the snow and we only get a week of rental coverage after the check is delivered.

Fishing's been bad for me too...but I still can't wait to get out again. I'm off on monday for president's day, and the wife isn't...so I really hope the weather's nice! Anybody else off that wants to fish let me know!

Oh yeah!! I'm off for President's day too! Hmmmm what to do, what to do...

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: SleepingTiger] #9731661 02/12/14 04:50 PM
RedShadWorm Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I've got a 2010 Lariat SuperCrew with the V8. It's been an outstanding truck. I've had 0 problems. My buddy has the V6 and raves about it.

Won't fit in my garage and I park it on the street and leave the kayaks in the garage next to my wife's car.

I would think there may be a possibility you could do better than the X-plan right now because they have the redesign coming out soon, but I don't know.

Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: SleepingTiger] #9732162 02/12/14 07:12 PM
S
Striper Lifer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Haven't looked at trucks much, but need a replacement myself. I like that built in toolbox on the Ram truck ...

Jonah 4:2
I knew that You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, and one who relents concerning calamity.
Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: SleepingTiger] #9734944 02/13/14 04:32 PM
S
SleepingTiger Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
holy smokes, through usaa, i can get nearly 8000 off the Dodge Ram

Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: SleepingTiger] #9735166 02/13/14 05:54 PM
S
SleepingTiger Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
i swear, i will never use edmunds again to get a baseline for my negotiations. the exact same car from edmunds vs. usaa is $36,700 and $30,400. Are you kidding me? I swear edmunds used to be good, now they are so in bed with the dealers its crazy. They don't list most of the incentives and of course usaa has incentives of their own, but not a $6000 difference. i bet i can go to the dealer, tell them what i want and their best price without any haggling, i can get a better price than edmunds.

Re: Worst winter fishing in DFW i've experienced [Re: SleepingTiger] #9737094 02/14/14 04:12 AM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted By: SleepingTiger
Subject is misleading since i only been fishing for 2yrs now. LOL. Anyhoo, this weather sucks. I spend about $300 in cold weather gear and can't use it.

So stopped by cabellas last night and picked up a pair of artic mittens/gloves for $40, on sale from $100. Man those things are warm. But those gloves are clumsy and big. Wore it driving home last night, every time i make a turn, i hit the signal and wiper switch stick. LOL, car next to me thought i was crazy cuz the signal light switched back and forth while the wipers were going full speed.

Anyways, since the forum is almost dead, i was going to take some pics of my kayak and how I rigged my trolling motor. Dang it was cold last night so i will wait til this weekend. Some of you might appreciate how i rigged my TM.

Talk to my wife about how i hate car topping my PA, so we agreed i need a new vehicle. Not sure what I want, but it will be a pick up truck. So i work for a company that has deals with Ford and you can get the x-plan. I have purchased 4 new cars in my life and have never paid more than invoice. with the x-plan, the price is slightly above invoice. I am wondering if this is a good deal on F150's since the demand is high or should i just negotiate a deal myself. if you're not familiar with the x-plan, there is no negotiations, u just go in and tell them you are qualified for the xplan and they give u a price.

I bought a new Ford today. The x plan price was more than their Internet price.
Just have to look at both.

Also if you get GM supplier pricing too their's was a better deal. I just liked the Ford better.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide