Print Thread
Murky as heck water #9663351 01/20/14 06:08 PM
F
Fishing Fester Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Im looking a purchasing some land for an eventual homestead. Has a gorgeous 2 acre pond on it that has some great potential. The problem is that it looks like chocolate milk. Sandy loam soil. Is there anyway to clean it up? Cost, procedures etc?

Re: Murky as heck water [Re: Fishing Fester] #9666013 01/21/14 02:54 PM
T
Texas Pro Lake Management Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Fester,

Water color and clarity go hand and hand and give you an idea of what is causing the clarity issue. I recommend you need to post a picture of the lake water to get the best help. In the mean time the clarity issue may be from soil sediments, minerals in the water, or phytoplankton. If it is a muddy or dirt color in most cases clarity issues are due to soil sediment displacement caused by either mechanical or chemical disturbances. Mechanical disturbances are basically something physically moving the soil sediment around. This could be trash fish, wind, livestock, or runoff. Chemical disturbances are due to the charge of the soil particles and the charge of the water.

You can test to determine if it is mechanical or chemical by doing the bucket test. Take a white 5 gallon bucket of lake water and set it in a barn for a week. Make sure the bucket cant be disturbed in any way and gets no sunlight. I always tell my customers to take pictures daily of the bucket. If the bucket shows no change within a week it is fairly safe to assume the soil disturbance is due to chemical reasons. If the sediment settles within the week you can assume that their is a mechanical disturbance. Then we can go through and determine the best solution. I can also send a water sample to a sediment lab to get a better idea of the types of particles suspended in the lake if we need to (but rarely is this ever done.

Here is a clay turbidity article if you would like further reading
https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/event/getFactSheet/whichfactsheet/108/

I am sorry for the length of the message.

Happy Fishing!

Re: Murky as heck water [Re: Texas Pro Lake Management] #9666127 01/21/14 03:28 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Texas Pro Lake Management
Fester,

Water color and clarity go hand and hand and give you an idea of what is causing the clarity issue. I recommend you need to post a picture of the lake water to get the best help. In the mean time the clarity issue may be from soil sediments, minerals in the water, or phytoplankton. If it is a muddy or dirt color in most cases clarity issues are due to soil sediment displacement caused by either mechanical or chemical disturbances. Mechanical disturbances are basically something physically moving the soil sediment around. This could be trash fish, wind, livestock, or runoff. Chemical disturbances are due to the charge of the soil particles and the charge of the water.

You can test to determine if it is mechanical or chemical by doing the bucket test. Take a white 5 gallon bucket of lake water and set it in a barn for a week. Make sure the bucket cant be disturbed in any way and gets no sunlight. I always tell my customers to take pictures daily of the bucket. If the bucket shows no change within a week it is fairly safe to assume the soil disturbance is due to chemical reasons. If the sediment settles within the week you can assume that their is a mechanical disturbance. Then we can go through and determine the best solution. I can also send a water sample to a sediment lab to get a better idea of the types of particles suspended in the lake if we need to (but rarely is this ever done.

Here is a clay turbidity article if you would like further reading
https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/event/getFactSheet/whichfactsheet/108/

I am sorry for the length of the message.

^ Nailed it.

There are a few ways to clear up muddy ponds. But, you have to find the cause first. The bucket test is a great start.

Scott Jones
Re: Murky as heck water [Re: Texas Pro Lake Management] #9666312 01/21/14 04:17 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Basically, and most easily, hire somebody like this guy to do an assessment to find out both why the lake is turbid and how to fix it. Perhaps even before you try and buy the place. If the problem is a severe one, it may cost a lot to fix, up to draining and rebuilding the pond. If a simple one, it may be cheap and easy. Either way, somebody familiar with the area and having the ability to diagnose and fix the problem, even though you will have to pay them, is going to save you time and money in the long run.

The bucket test will help narrow down the possibilities, but you may still need professional help to identify and address specific issues.

This is not in my neighborhood, but around here with typically shallow, windblown ponds, turbidity issues need addressed from a multiplicity of angles. Semi aquatic plants need planted around shorelines, windbreaks planted, fish types stocked or removed or managed, watershed stabilization, etc. etc.

Rarely have I seen a situation that could not be fixed.

Fishbreeder

Re: Murky as heck water [Re: Fishbreeder] #9666490 01/21/14 05:12 PM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
great info guys and i appreciate the quick response. Ill ask the land owner if he is opposed to me doingthe bucket test. Ill update with my findings. Thanks again.

Re: Murky as heck water [Re: Fishing Fester] #9669735 01/22/14 04:40 PM
B
blooper961 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Lake Tawakoni looks like that because of all the monster cats stirring up the bottom.

Re: Murky as heck water [Re: blooper961] #9671185 01/23/14 01:11 AM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
i have seen some of the pictures of his grandkids with their catches in his office. they are definately big. I highly doubt that there are many, if any bass in there, but if there is they are as white as the day is long!

Re: Murky as heck water [Re: Fishing Fester] #9675946 01/24/14 07:21 PM
S
scott01 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I hear if you put zebra mussels in there the water will really clear up...

Not that I would condone or recommend it

Re: Murky as heck water [Re: scott01] #9685688 01/28/14 09:09 PM
F
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Yeah i thought about putting 4 bales of hay, and a bucketfull of zebras in there. Hopefully that will clear it up! lol

Re: Murky as heck water [Re: Fishing Fester] #9802467 03/07/14 04:29 AM
B
Bass Junkie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Had a very muddy one acre pond. Put some used Sheetrock in and it kept it quite clear for over ten years. However, with the draught and recent rains it is very muddy again. Going to give it a couple of weeks before doing it again. When it was lower hogs were stirring up the mud also.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide