texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,008
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek ðŸ 68,321
JDavis7873® 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,878
Posts13,954,670
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Filming a TV Fishing Show #9639205 01/12/14 12:21 AM
S
Stan Wright Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
The other day someone posted on the Texas Fishing Forum about how "fake" most fishing shows were… LOL Well this is what happened to us this week… It was fun, and I hope you mainland guys recognize the name of the show and get to see it. We didn't "fake" anything… what your see is what you get. LOL

Filming a TV Fishing Show.

Ever since my son, Chris Wright, appeared on the Animal Planets reality fishing show, "Top Hooker", he has been getting calls from mainland TV fishing show asking him to take them fishing.

This week we had the pleasure of fishing with Carlton Wing, from Little Rock, AR, host of American Fly Guides which airs on the World Fishing Network.
I wish the mainland folks could visit us in the spring when the big peacock bass are spawning, or in the summer and fall when the schooling fish provide non stop action. But it's alway during the snow covered winter months when mainland TV shows are seeking warm climates that they visit us here in Hawaii.

I just thought this was a pretty shot...

Peacock bass like warm water and sunshine. When water temperatures drop below 78 degrees the tropical fish shut down and go into hibernation. Yes, they still have to eat, but not in the wild surface action where 4 or 5 fish are fighting over your lures like in the summer. A week before we were scheduled to fish, a cold front came through dumping rain, changing wind directions, and dropping the water temperature down to 62 degrees. I had a bad feeling that we would be lucky to catch a few small ones… if anything at all.

Working the shoreline looking for the fish.

Doing the filming for the show was Ben Wong, Let's Go Fishing, our local fishing show. After the "launching the boat" and talking about "what are we going to do today" shots, we headed out to the area Chris figured the fish were going to be found. Chris had done some scouting the day before and had an idea where the fish might be... but he too was concerned about the cold water temperature.

The action could best be described as "very slow". Carlton and Chris selected 5wt fly rods to launch small gold streamer flys against the shoreline. The gold flash-a-boo pulsated in the water as they used long fast strips to retrieve the line, then cast again to within inches of the shore. Peacock bass cruise the shoreline looking for small fish to ambush… these little baitfish hang close to the shallow shoreline, hiding in grass and downed trees to keep from being dinner for the larger predator fish. You just have to keep moving till you locate the fish , or the bite suddenly turns on as though someone flipped a switch.

Occasionally the boredom was broken when one of the "baitfish", in this case the 5-bar general, made savage attacks on the little flys. It was a good sign… where there is bait, the peacock bass should not be far away. It also gave Carlton a chance to see what the peacock bass feed on and explain how alien species of fish get established when people dump their unwanted aquariums into streams and lakes.

A 5-bar genreral. They make great live bait for peacock bass.

As the water temperature crept higher with the heat of the day, we started catching some small peacock bass… the 5 to 6 inch size. (What I call fish under 10 pounds) Then Carlton tied into a nice 2 pound peacock. Things were looking up.

Swing the fish back around by the camera please.

Now talk about how pretty the fish is and be sure to hold it sideways to the cameras.

When fishing for the TV camera, you take your time. Let the fish run. Give the camera guys time to move around so the light is better. Allow the camera boat to move in. Reposition the anglers boat so the sun is not behind them. Don't lift the fish out of the water till we are able to get the underwater camera ready… now lead the fish past the underwater camera again. OK, grab the fish by the lip and wait for me to move to your other side. Did you guys get that shot. No? OK put the fish back in the water and lift it out again. Now talk about how pretty the fish is…. turn it sideways to the camera. LOL Fishing for the camera is not anything like fishing when no camera is around. LOL But if you want a good TV show, you have to slow down and take your time to make sure the camera crew has plenty of time to get all those good shots. Ben really knows what he's doing and it's always a pleasure working with him.

Geting that underwater shot with the GoPro camera on a stick.

Chris Wright with a little peacock bass.

Chris figured with the climbing water temperature the peacock bass would be moving into their regular hunting grounds. He positioned the boat and told Carlton to cast accoss the point just ahead. The fly landed with a splat and… BAM, instant hookup. A nice 1 ½ pound peacock went airborne.
Chris hit the electric trawling motor turning the boat to allow the camera boat a better shot and also get the anglers away from the point where the fish were staged. After getting video of landing the fish and underwater shots of Carlton releasing the fish, Chris re-positioned the bass boat and both anglers cast their flys to the point…. Double hookup. Now we're cooking.

I don't know how a person can fish... and at the same time use their foot to control the boat with an electric trawling motor. I can't. Chris can. In the next half hour Chris and Carlton hooked fish after fish from that point. Nothing big, all about 1 to 1 ½ pounds… but more than enough to make a fun filled fly fishing show catching exotic peacock bass in beautiful sunny Hawaii. Those snowbound mainland guys are going to be so jealous.

Chris, show me the type fly we'll be using today.

Another double.

Carlton and Chris release fish for the underwater camera.

Last edited by Stan Wright; 01/12/14 12:26 AM.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"
Re: Filming a TV Fishing Show [Re: Stan Wright] #9639588 01/12/14 02:14 AM
C
Crazy4oldcars Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Looks like a good time was had. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for the show!

Kirk

"The cheese in the mousetrap is ALWAYS free"
Re: Filming a TV Fishing Show [Re: Stan Wright] #9643476 01/13/14 05:32 PM
A
Aggroman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
That's really cool, thanks for sharing. thumb

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread