Print Thread
Battery and Electrical issues. Help needed #9573373 12/17/13 11:12 PM
S
senko_kid Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
I have a 2004 Nitro NX750 with a Mercury 115hp motor. I have been having issues with the electrical system in my boat and need some advice. I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to. My troubles began with after a day of fishing and running the electronics and live well when I would start the boat the HDS would turn off. After awhile it began to do it when the livewell pump would turn on. A little while later the boat wouldn't start. I bought a brand new battery and that help but only for a short time. I replaced the starter and that seemed to take care of the issue. I fished for 14 hours with the livewell and structure scan on with no problems. Boat fired right up and electronics stayed on. Towards the end of the day I noticed the HDS was off. Apparently when the livewell kicked on it shut it off. I turned it on and went to start the boat to head to weigh in and the boat fired right up, but the HDS shut off again. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue.

Re: Battery and Electrical issues. Help needed [Re: senko_kid] #9573879 12/18/13 02:17 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
turn you voltage screen on, or put up a voltage reading on one of your screens on your sonar unit. , and see how much the voltage drops when you turn on the pump or crank the motor. . the sonar unit will shut off if the voltage drops below a pre determined voltage.
does your sonar wiring, come DIRECTLY off of the cranking battery. NOT thru a fuse panel , not thru a main assessory switch, Either directly from the battery with a fused positive side, or if you take the head unit off alot, from the battery, thru a single switch in a independant circuit.
Also is your livewell set to run in cycles, and not continuously. if its running for 14 hours straight, and your not running the main motor much, it will drag the battery down.

Last edited by leanin post; 12/18/13 02:21 AM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Battery and Electrical issues. Help needed [Re: senko_kid] #9574658 12/18/13 01:48 PM
gary purdy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
No less that a 1000 cranking amp battery. Check the amp draw on livewell pumps, could be drawing to much amps. Had a customer that he said one of his aerator pumps would blow a 3 amp fuse so he put a 10 amp in it. Kept having battery problems. Daa

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything. Remember what He has done and remember that He is not done yet!-- GOD IS GOOD
Re: Battery and Electrical issues. Help needed [Re: senko_kid] #9578449 12/19/13 07:50 PM
Nic Jones Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
It sounds like your livewell pumps and aerators and graphs are tied to your cranking battery, and while this is pretty normal you either are using too much of your cranking battery between running your engine to recharge it, or your battery as a diminished capacity from being "Deep Cycled" or drained below it's reserve capacity or with the latest cold snap that we have had tends to be hard on automotive/boat batteries.

First I would charge it on a low amperage overnight and then take it to an auto parts store to have it load tested. This will tell you if the battery has the capacity it is rated for. If it is below it's designed capacity it needs to be replaced.

If your battery is still within it's capacity, then you could get an ammeter capable of reading 10 Amps minimum and testing your aerators and other marine electronics to see if they are pulling more than just a few amps. A 10,15,20 amp draw over several hours could be draining your battery.

Re: Battery and Electrical issues. Help needed [Re: senko_kid] #9582327 12/21/13 02:43 AM
D
Duke 59 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I had the same problem with my HDS8 and LSS1. The HDS would shut down whenever I had been sitting in one spot for a while and then starting the motor. The screen would flicker or shut down when the livewell pump went on.

The solution was to wire the HDS and LSS1 directly to the crank battery instead of running thru the accessory panel. Once the direct line was in place the problem went away.

Re: Battery and Electrical issues. Help needed [Re: senko_kid] #9583124 12/21/13 03:43 PM
texcajun Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
This is a fairly common problem. Happened to me as well. I went straight to the charging battery with an inline fuse and no problems anymore.

2002 Scandy White, 2002 Yamaha 90
Point me towards the water!
Re: Battery and Electrical issues. Help needed [Re: senko_kid] #9583788 12/21/13 09:18 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I once had the same year model boat but with a 90 Merc. I had the same problem. As I recall, it was the alternator that had to be changed. I replaced the battery or swapped to a newer deep cycle (don't remember which) and it did solve the problem for awhile just like you stated. But after a short time later, the symptoms appeared again until the alternator was repaired/fixed/replaced. It was recharging the battery inefficiently when on the go.

I cannot recall if electronics were direct connected to the battery or thru the master switch but if it is the alternator, I don't think it would matter. I also was running an HDS 8/LSS-1 on the console and LMS 522c on the bow.

Last edited by UJC; 12/21/13 09:19 PM.
Re: Battery and Electrical issues. Help needed [Re: senko_kid] #9588235 12/23/13 06:13 PM
Nic Jones Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
You can test your alternator as well with a voltage meter. Take a reading of your battery voltage with no load (everything turned off/disconnected) then when you crank your motor (be sure to put the motor on the muffs at least) you should see a rise in voltage. 13.8 Volts is optimum but as long as it is more than 12 volts, you're headed in the right direction.

Now with that voltage start turning your electronics on, along with your running lights, etc. The voltage may drop initially but should still stay above 12 volts and/or go back up to where it was. If the voltage continues to drop, you likely have a problem with your alternator/stator or voltage regulator.

Re: Battery and Electrical issues. Help needed [Re: Nic Jones] #9589343 12/24/13 01:45 AM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
I have actually fought this problem more than once and what it wound up being each time was the battery connections being corroded even though on the surface they looked fine. It was an easy fix. Remove all of the connections from the battery and get a wire brush. Brush the tops of the battery post up against the wing nut studs until it shines. Take the spades from each system and brush them until they shine and make "SURE" you do both sides of each spade reconnect everything and put a light coat of grease on everything at both post. This will stop the oxidation process.
Its not so much you haven't cleaned them but you just haven't cleaned the right spots more than likely. Any corrosion is going to create resistance and resistance creates heat which in turn heat creates more resistance; a vicious cycle. That's probably why you were able to run it a while before the problem showed back up. Another factor that points toward this area is the fact the problem has to be located in a common area that all the systems have in common and the battery and connections is this point. If this doesn't fix it let me know and I can tell you some other things to look at, but this should do it.......

Last edited by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50); 12/24/13 04:34 AM.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide