Print Thread
Handling Trout #9538161 12/05/13 07:31 PM
T
Turf Dawg Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
They are slick and strong so can you just "lip" them with your thumb like bass or crappie? I have never seen it done and do not want to loose a finger

Turf Dawg Landscaping
Texas Licensed Irrigator
LI 0020041
Commercial Pesticide Applicator for Turf and Ornamental, Pasture & Rangelands and Right-of-Way
Texas Dept of Agriculture license #0525163
Re: Handling Trout [Re: Turf Dawg] #9538557 12/05/13 09:04 PM
T
tmds3 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
If they are keepers I just grab them best I can and get the hook out,I usually have a pair of gloves in my tackle bag, If they are being released I use my net to hold them.

Common Sense has become so rare that it should be considered a super power

Re: Handling Trout [Re: Turf Dawg] #9538561 12/05/13 09:06 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Ideally, if you aren't planning to keep the fish, it's best to try to keep them in the water and unhook the fly with fingers or forceps. To learn more about catch and release, see the note below from Trout magazine:

http://online.qmags.com/TU0913S#pg3&mode2

No thumbing -- small, sharp teeth and jaws not meant for supporting the weight of the fish. Rubberized nets help. If the fish is small or no net, just slide your hand under the fish and lift. Turning them over on their back limits their tendency to fight. Whatever you do, don't squeeze them -- their internal organs are easily bruised.

Mickfly
Fish Friendly -- Life's too short to do it any other way
Re: Handling Trout [Re: Turf Dawg] #9543318 12/07/13 03:04 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Also wet hands if you are going to touch them this helps reduce removing protective slime I know it sucks when it's cold. Heck in tailwaters though catch enough fish and keep hands warm if its really cold air temps. Seeing as the water should be way warmer than the air lol.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Handling Trout [Re: mickfly] #9681267 01/27/14 02:19 PM
split cane rod Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: mickfly
Ideally, if you aren't planning to keep the fish, it's best to try to keep them in the water and unhook the fly with fingers or forceps. To learn more about catch and release, see the note below from Trout magazine:

No thumbing -- small, sharp teeth and jaws not meant for supporting the weight of the fish. Rubberized nets help. If the fish is small or no net, just slide your hand under the fish and lift. Turning them over on their back limits their tendency to fight. Whatever you do, don't squeeze them -- their internal organs are easily bruised.

This is a great topic to revisit in light of Carey's last fishing report saying that a lot of the brooder fish are getting skin diseases.

I would be right there with you snapping photos of those big girls if it weren't so crowded. I drove by the evening hole on Saturday around noon when I got there (quick trip) and couldn't believe how many people were there!! The generators were not running, so I went to Zone 2. Fish after fish after fish on soft hackles & tiny streamers. The best part? NO combat fishing!

As Carey noted, there were lots of 14" to 18" fish, but the best part? I had it ALL to myself!

Moved later to the swimming & bumper boat area... Same scenario... LOTS of fish & NO PEOPLE!! I love to fish Broken Bow. I love to catch big fish. I'm not into combat fishing.

Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation put over 500 fish over 3 pounds in the river recently. That's the reason you're seeing so many photos of people with monster trout. Big, eager fish that have been fed pellets all their lives. They WILL eat anything.

The more they're caught, the more they're handled and photographed... The more of them are going to become stressed & die from skin diseases.

I'm not bashing anyone. As I said... I would be right there with you if it were not so crowded. Just be mindful of stressing the fish.

You might also stop by Three Rivers Fly Shop & thank Jesse & Linda King or go to the Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation website & thank them for putting over 500 fish over three pounds in the river. I've seen a lot of smiling faces because of those fish lately.

The Lower Mountain River Foundation is holding their One Fly / Mystery Fly tournament on February 22nd. Support this fine organization. They ARE the reason you have such a fine trout fishery at Broken Bow.

Oh, and be mindful of handling the fish too much. They do die from those yucky skin diseases.

JR

Split Cane Rod
Re: Handling Trout [Re: split cane rod] #9681299 01/27/14 02:31 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: split cane rod
Originally Posted By: mickfly

This is a great topic to revisit in light of Carey's last fishing report saying that a lot of the brooder fish are getting skin diseases.

I would be right there with you snapping photos of those big girls if it weren't so crowded. I drove by the evening hole on Saturday around noon when I got there (quick trip) and couldn't believe how many people were there!! The generators were not running, so I went to Zone 2. Fish after fish after fish on soft hackles & tiny streamers. The best part? NO combat fishing!

As Carey noted, there were lots of 14" to 18" fish, but the best part? I had it ALL to myself!

Moved later to the swimming & bumper boat area... Same scenario... LOTS of fish & NO PEOPLE!! I love to fish Broken Bow. I love to catch big fish. I'm not into combat fishing.

Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation put over 500 fish over 3 pounds in the river recently. That's the reason you're seeing so many photos of people with monster trout. Big, eager fish that have been fed pellets all their lives. They WILL eat anything.

The more they're caught, the more they're handled and photographed... The more of them are going to become stressed & die from skin diseases.

I'm not bashing anyone. As I said... I would be right there with you if it were not so crowded. Just be mindful of stressing the fish.

You might also stop by Three Rivers Fly Shop & thank Jesse & Linda King or go to the Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation website & thank them for putting over 500 fish over three pounds in the river. I've seen a lot of smiling faces because of those fish lately.

The Lower Mountain River Foundation is holding their One Fly / Mystery Fly tournament on February 22nd. Support this fine organization. They ARE the reason you have such a fine trout fishery at Broken Bow.

Oh, and be mindful of handling the fish too much. They do die from those yucky skin diseases.

JR

thanks Always good info from our JR on the LMF

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Handling Trout [Re: Turf Dawg] #9684732 01/28/14 03:56 PM
C
chefmike Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Couldn't agree more that the above posts. Less handling the better and if possible no handling. Barbless is the way to go I release the smaller fish without touching them either in the net or at my feet

Mike

".........the wood rod casts beautifully, and through it you can feel the heartbeats of the small trout."
John Gierach.
Re: Handling Trout [Re: Turf Dawg] #9686041 01/28/14 11:11 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
One key to minimizing damage to trout, especially larger trout, is a good net. It also helps to learn to take any pictures you want while the fish is still in the net. I currently have a Brodin Cutthroat net with "ghost" (clear thermoplastic) net bag. It's a great backdrop for a pic and keeps me from handling the fish.

Mickfly
Fish Friendly -- Life's too short to do it any other way
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide