Print Thread
Pines again...9/28/13, Hwy 155 area #9354829 09/28/13 08:27 PM
C
Chuck Goodson Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Hit the water early this morning at first light. Saw a few duck hunters trailered and a handful of bass trailers. Conditions were nearly identical to Friday evening. A touch more wind, some cloud cover until 10am or so, and surface water temps dropped from 80 to 76 overnight.

We didn't manage any decent size this morning, but had very good numbers. Tossed mostly plastics and mixed in the occasional chatter, spinner, or buzz bait. Dad kept tossing the same 4" watermelon senko but didn't manage the same success today. I finally down sized and tossed a texas rigged blue tube with great success early. Once dad switched to a black/blue senko he picked up a few. We were working several ledges along the creek and just slowly dragging from the pads to the ledge. When there was timber, hydrilla, or some other debris right on the ledge, we found fish. The bite was super subtle and very difficult to distinguish from the old submerged pad remnants. You had to let the hold it for a bit before hammering the hook home.

As the sun got up and we moved up lake more, we found lots of hydrilla in very shallow pockets off the creek. I tossed a paddle footed frog over the hydrilla and picked up a half dozen more smaller fish. Nothing on plastics up there.

As the sun got up and the clouds burned off the bite slowed down a bunch for us. Unfortunately I had to be back home by 2pm, so we didn't get to stay out as the clouds built in during the early afternoon. Would have loved to hang around until 4-5 as the front gets close...but not to be.

No pictures today. Nothing put in the boat over 2-1/2 lbs. Did lose one bigger than that, but only one. Big change from Friday night. We had all 3-4+ lb fish Friday...well, dad had all the fish, I had 2.

Main thing was that I finally managed to put more in the boat than him...was starting to get old getting whacked by him every time!

Also. Be aware of a stump right inside the drop of the creek edge at Hijack point. The pads have grown over into the channel and if you slide over to avoid pads, it will put you very close to the creek edge and the stump. Best bet is to slow down, trim up, and idle through the pads, then pop back up when clear of them. Mentioning it because I saw some tournament guys get awfully close to where it is at. Ball park coords for the location 32.857513,-94.698495.

Last edited by Chuck Goodson; 09/28/13 08:32 PM.

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. -John Steinbeck

Re: Pines again...9/28/13, Hwy 155 area [Re: Chuck Goodson] #9354939 09/28/13 09:10 PM
C
Chuck Goodson Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Oh yeah, left out that we damaged the prop coupling as well. Was getting the big motor fired to move and we rolled right onto a stump as I put it into gear and moved us forward. Its a stump right in the what appears to be open section water above the 1st pump station. We don't have it marked, but know it is there. Unfortunately the wind swung the back of the boat over more than I realized...

Didn't notice any issue straight away. Later in the morning we went to put the power down to come up on plane and the RPMs came up but the boat didn't! I trimmed it, went again, no issues. End of the day, we got ready to move a little faster and head in. When I trimmed it up to go a bit quicker, the boat felt unstable and the engine note changed a couple times. So we slowed down and rode it on on a moderate plane.

At the ramp, put it in gear and tried to turn the prop with my hand...yep it would move if I put enough on it.

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. -John Steinbeck

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide