Print Thread
First time boat fishing Port A - please help #9163883 07/25/13 02:50 PM
O
orangelifejacket Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
O
I just got a new to me Fish and Ski Nitro boat. The family and I are headed to Port A in mid August and I have never fished Salt water on my own boat. I will be launching from the ramp right as you exit the ferry. Not being familar with the water and area, in a boat that dosent really get "skinney" I am to say the least a little aprehensive. I dont believe that my "fishing hot spots" chip provides water depths in this area. Also coming from fresh water I have never had to consider tides. I will be purchasing a high quality map to help address this (if you have any suggestions on maps I would be thankful). Are there any areas that are good fishing that are relatively close or easly accessable with all of my concerns in mind? we are mainly looking to target Reds and trout. But mainly just looking to have a good time. Thank you for any and all advice.

Re: First time boat fishing Port A - please help [Re: orangelifejacket] #9164422 07/25/13 05:29 PM
H
Hadacall Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
The Hot Spots Fishing map for Corpus,Port Aransa, and Rockport areas is the one I always use.

I used to take my 18ft. Hydrosport Bass boat down there several times a year. I would launch at the ramps in the park by the ferry landing. When launching be careful of the change in water levels. When the big boats, and ships, move in the channel they suck the water out of the harbor. It all comes rushing back when they pass on. It can make a 3ft difference in water level at the ramp. As you exit the harbor be carful of the wakes generated by the bigger boats and ships. They can be as high as 4ft. It is best to stay behind the dike untill they are way past. Once in the channel you can go in one of four directions.

You can turn right and head tword the Gulf. On a relativ calm day, you can fish the ends of the jetties. Be careful of the strong currents and the rocks. A good anchor with a long rope are a must. I would not recomend going into the Gulf any further than the ends of the jetties. You can follow the ICW toward Corpus Cristi, and Dagger Island area. If you choose that direction, be careful of the big ships.

The safer choices are the go up the smaller Shimper Chanel toward Aransa Pass, or the Lydia Ann Channnel toward Traylor island. Along the Shimper's Channel there are grass lines, and cuts the hold trout and red fish. A mile or two up the channel there are cuts and small channels thay will allow you to move into south bay, and fish the flatts and islands.

Along the Lydia Ann Channel you will see a light house. Just pass it is the Quarantine Shore line of Traylor Island. Stay in about 7ft of water and cast to the deep edges of the grass beds. If you want to encrease your chances of catching more fish. Drop anchor, and get out of the boat, and wade. The Q shoreline is easy wading. Past the Q shore line look for the cuts that drain Estas Flats. The Flats are on the other side of Tralor island. If the tide is outgoing, these cuts can be very productive areas. If you continue down Traylor island, you will reach the entrance to Cove Harbor. I have caught some good size reds, and have hit some schooling trout on both side, of the channel entrance.

Cove Harbor channel will take you back to the Shrimper's channel. Along the way you will pass Estas Flats. Look for the two PVC pipe that mark an access channel into the Flats. If the wind is right and the tide is high, you can run a mile into the Flatts and then pull up the motor, and drift back to the channel. When you hit the Shimper's channel, follow it back to the Port Aransas Ferry Park, and the ramp.

At the end of the day take you boat and trailor to a car wash and wash them thourghly. It is amazing how fast the salt water can corrode metal. Rinse your rods and reels as well. If you can, try and get some fresh water into the outboard motor. On the way back to S.A., I would stop at Lake Corpus, or Choke Canyon, lake and run the boat and motor on the fresh water. Run the bilge, live well pumps, and airiators as well.

Re: First time boat fishing Port A - please help [Re: orangelifejacket] #9177477 07/30/13 01:32 AM
C
ChaserWF Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Good report

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."- John Wooden
Re: First time boat fishing Port A - please help [Re: ChaserWF] #9195166 08/04/13 04:28 PM
KevinStryker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info..I be down labor day...

Thanks, Kevin
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide