Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and new to Texas as well! I just accepted my first job at Lamar University and will be moving to Port Arthur in the next few weeks. Born and raised in Southern Indiana (Go Hoosiers!) I've grown up fishing small private lakes for largemouth, bluegill, crappie, and love to river fish for some nice flathead or blue cats.
I'm looking for some tips for fishing in the Port Arthur for pretty much any and everything. I visited back in June and went with some buddies to pleasure island (I believe it was) and we caught a sheepshead, couple specks, couple reds, and got some really nice runs from some gator gar I believe.
I have no clue what the name of the place was we fished but a guy at a local bait shop told us to go over some huge bridge and from there we took a right and basically followed it until it ended. We fished some on a really skinny road with a small canal on one side and lake on the other. We got some good gar action close to a boat ramp where a big concrete divider separated the lake from some boat docks.
I'm looking for any advice(tackle, bait, location, species, etc..) somebody could give me so I could show a couple buddies visiting with me a good time. We're gonna be there this thursday-Monday.
Thank you in advance for any help, and I look forward to sharing my future fishing adventures with you all!
Tight lines!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I've ended up where I needed to be"