Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,947
Posts13,956,234
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Catching them: Middle of the day, clear skies, busy lake #9045253 06/18/13 02:12 PM
H
Holzer Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
H
I don’t' post many fishing reports these days - just so many that do so no need to be the repeat. But I haven't seen anything posted recently about catching them during the "tough conditions": Middle of the day, clear skies, HOT, boats/jet ski's everywhere & fishing with the family. Speaking to what I have seen - It may be different elsewhere or for another person.

The lake is busy, busy, busy and there is a lot of light beaming down through the water. Don't burn lots of gas looking for your graph to light up - because it's not going to happen. And, if your family wants to get out of the boat and swim while you fish - that's just fine. If they are in the water splashing around it still doesn't make as much noise as the water hitting your hull from all the traffic on the lake or the traffic itself.

(Remember: talking about the middle of the day, not early or late) Fish are laying close the bottom, and spread out over an area (not piled up). Mark a couple of lumps and stop to fish it. Keeping your bait close to the bottom but not on is where you want to be. Look to the “backside” of points, humps and timber where a shadow maybe formed from the bright sun. Catch a small one – lower it back down and hold for a little. His friends will think there is a party going on under your boat.

Sunday on Lewisville: (10a-3p) water temp was 84 everywhere I went, marked fish anywhere from 20 – 40ft, school is out so sneaky petes is getting a little lively, caught gizzards in 12ft, marked bait on the lake 10ft – 15ft, caught all my fish @ 20fow while family was swimming beside the boat. My 2 year old did not want to let go of the camera, so these were the only pics of the day:

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Catching them: Middle of the day, clear skies, busy lake [Re: Holzer] #9045276 06/18/13 02:20 PM
G
GoFishNow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Way to report!

Re: Catching them: Middle of the day, clear skies, busy lake [Re: Holzer] #9045280 06/18/13 02:21 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
So you actually do catch fish every know and again? good job big guy.

Re: Catching them: Middle of the day, clear skies, busy lake [Re: BrandoA] #9045295 06/18/13 02:26 PM
H
Holzer Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: BrandoA
So you actually do catch fish every know and again? good job big guy.

I have a reputation of breaking trolling motors, killing bait, having dead batteries, etc. I don't want to ruin that you know wink

Usually can catch fish. Just haven't placed my thumb on catching fish that will win me a trophy at a TSA tourney yet frown

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Catching them: Middle of the day, clear skies, busy lake [Re: Holzer] #9045528 06/18/13 03:36 PM
C
Chuck7700 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
WTG

Re: Catching them: Middle of the day, clear skies, busy lake [Re: Holzer] #9045588 06/18/13 03:54 PM
W
White Ranger CC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Nice report. It's nice to see some tips that aren't commonly posted.

I normally let my 2 girls swim behind the boat, if there aren't any other boats around and since we fish Bridgeport there rarely are. Sunday, we were trying new humps around the lake and the girls were begging to swim. I told them if either caught a hybrid they could swim until we moved to a new hump. I have never seen them so focused on fishing. It was amazing and sure enough, they caught the first hybrid each time 3 stops in a row.

Re: Catching them: Middle of the day, clear skies, busy lake [Re: Holzer] #9045897 06/18/13 05:52 PM
Oldtrackster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A couple of things. First that is a great looking family you have there, you are a blessed man.

Second "Fish are laying close the bottom, and spread out over an area (not piled up). Mark a couple of lumps and stop to fish it. Keeping your bait close to the bottom but not on is where you want to be. Look to the “backside” of points, humps and timber where a shadow maybe formed from the bright sun. Catch a small one – lower it back down and hold for a little. His friends will think there is a party going on under your boat." is the best knowledge I have learned in a while or rather confirmation of what I was thinking. I have always fished for whites by chasing schooling fish and trolling, but jigging is new to me. I was thinking I just wasnt looking in the right places to find big schools and had to "step down" to trolling again to catch fish. However, if fish are scattered over an area as I find them, trolling is a bit more palatable and a good method in that situation. Thanks for that.

Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey
Re: Catching them: Middle of the day, clear skies, busy lake [Re: Holzer] #9046050 06/18/13 06:50 PM
Adam H Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
That's usually the time I can get away to the lake at Whitney and I have a terrible time finding fish. Maybe I can break the drought.

Re: Catching them: Middle of the day, clear skies, busy lake [Re: Oldtrackster] #9046783 06/18/13 10:52 PM
H
Holzer Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Oldtrackster
However, if fish are scattered over an area as I find them, trolling is a bit more palatable and a good method in that situation.

True.

If you are looking for a few other "gas saving" options, here is one:

If you are using lures, cast out and work the bait back. (several ways of doing that) You could probably cover a 60 or so yard radius around your boat doing this. More if you are on a drift. Using a slab is a great way of covering a lot of ground because of the weight you can cast further. (Tighten that drag. Between the stretch of the mono and the flexibility in the rod, you want a good hook set.)

A heavier jig head on your sassy will help to keep it closer to the bottom in scenarios like this as well.

Thanks for the kind words on the family :thumb

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide