Extreme Angler
L
1. I need a bigger boat bolt
2. I need a depth/fish finder splat
3. I need a new back up trolling
motor battery hammer
4. Just because there is trees does not mean there are fish. whip
5. Dont pass up the first lake bang

Living for God, family and the great outdoors.
Re: what I learened today [Re: lookingfor25] #9008102 06/06/13 06:41 AM
F
Flat-Head Red Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Sounds like u need a T.K.O. KETCHN KARD!!!

Re: what I learened today [Re: lookingfor25] #9008111 06/06/13 07:28 AM
L
lookingfor25 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
L
Flat-head red it was very humbling yesterday! The thing is I wanted to fish cedar creek originally bang bang bang
But my step dad who does not get to fish much wanted to fish purtis creek

Last edited by lookingfor25; 06/06/13 07:32 AM.

Re: what I learened today [Re: lookingfor25] #9008147 06/06/13 09:37 AM
P
piscatur non solum piscator Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
I feel your pain (doing my best Arkansas governor impression). Usually I have an intern bring me a cigar after a bad day.

If you are going to fish bigger lakes, like Cedar Creek, yes you might want to get a bigger boat and I have to agree with you about the fish finder making life a whole lot easier. I just bought a new trolling motor battery, you are right about some trees not holding fish and I often chuckle quietly to myself as I drive past a perfectly good fishing lake (usually more than one lake) while I'm on my way to another Ketchn adventure at a "new" lake.

But before you talk yourself into a big yankee style fishing boat, a $2500 fish finder and a multiplicity of blue top AGM batteries stop and think about the real reason you weren't catching any fish. Purtis Creek has plenty of crappie in it as do most of our area lakes. You weren't catching because you weren't fishing where the fish were.

Most of the guys who catch crappie regularly don't even need a fish finder anymore. They just go out to the same few spots they know are holding fish at this time of year and they do it every year. I've only fished Purtis Creek a half dozen times and it took some searching to figure out where the fish were. Thankfully it is a small body of water and the best part about it is that the entire thing is no wake. Even so, the last time I was there it was tough going and we only caught a few. But other times it was a Ketchn frenzy.

If you don't know someone willing to tell you where they are, what you need is time on the water. Heck, even if someone tells you that they caught them at the big stump off the point on lake x yesterday you can still go out the next day and not find them. So spending time on the water and learning the body of water you are fishing is very important.

By all means, get yourself the equipment your heart desires, because life is short and we don't get to fish as often as we like. Just be careful not to become one of those guys with more boat and electronics than sense. Otherwise you'll have great equipment and still not be catching fish. Although, being very comfortable on the water makes it much more tolerable.

Re: what I learened today [Re: lookingfor25] #9008180 06/06/13 10:34 AM
P
plateboater Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I am one of the yank's with gear. Get sidescan if you can.....helps eliminate water in a hurry!

Everyone needs a hobby!
Re: what I learened today [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #9008188 06/06/13 10:43 AM
F
Flat-Head Red Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: piscatur non solum piscator
I feel your pain (doing my best Arkansas governor impression). Usually I have an intern bring me a cigar after a bad day.

If you are going to fish bigger lakes, like Cedar Creek, yes you might want to get a bigger boat and I have to agree with you about the fish finder making life a whole lot easier. I just bought a new trolling motor battery, you are right about some trees not holding fish and I often chuckle quietly to myself as I drive past a perfectly good fishing lake (usually more than one lake) while I'm on my way to another Ketchn adventure at a "new" lake.

But before you talk yourself into a big yankee style fishing boat, a $2500 fish finder and a multiplicity of blue top AGM batteries stop and think about the real reason you weren't catching any fish. Purtis Creek has plenty of crappie in it as do most of our area lakes. You weren't catching because you weren't fishing where the fish were.

Most of the guys who catch crappie regularly don't even need a fish finder anymore. They just go out to the same few spots they know are holding fish at this time of year and they do it every year. I've only fished Purtis Creek a half dozen times and it took some searching to figure out where the fish were. Thankfully it is a small body of water and the best part about it is that the entire thing is no wake. Even so, the last time I was there it was tough going and we only caught a few. But other times it was a Ketchn frenzy.

If you don't know someone willing to tell you where they are, what you need is time on the water. Heck, even if someone tells you that they caught them at the big stump off the point on lake x yesterday you can still go out the next day and not find them. So spending time on the water and learning the body of water you are fishing is very important.

By all means, get yourself the equipment your heart desires, because life is short and we don't get to fish as often as we like. Just be careful not to become one of those guys with more boat and electronics than sense. Otherwise you'll have great equipment and still not be catching fish. Although, being very comfortable on the water makes it much more tolerable.

Shhhhh!!!! Ur makin it sound waaaaaay too easy P.N.S.P.
There might be other people listening.

Re: what I learened today [Re: plateboater] #9008190 06/06/13 10:44 AM
F
Flat-Head Red Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: plateboater
I am one of the yank's with gear. Get sidescan if you can.....helps eliminate water in a hurry!

Illinoise???? Just kiddin man. Welcome.

Last edited by Flat-Head Red; 06/06/13 10:46 AM.
Re: what I learened today [Re: lookingfor25] #9008200 06/06/13 10:57 AM
L
lookingfor25 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
L
P. N. S. P. I agree 100%

And welcome plateboater to the
forum

Re: what I learened today [Re: lookingfor25] #9008416 06/06/13 01:01 PM
SLABmeSILLY Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Nothing wrong with having best electronics as long as:
1) Your pocket book allowed
2) Learn how to utilize it, maximize it once have it/them
3) Expensive electronics are not for looks, but for looking down under what can not be seen!!!

Nothing wrong with having a nicer bigger boat as long as:
1) Your pocket book allowed
2) Too nice of a boat to be afraid of getting a scratch here and there while nosing in the timbers is not necessarily the best bang for your bucks
3) Always work HARD on your boat while on land to prepare for NOT having to work on your boat at all on water!!! (Regular maintenance is critical)

But more importantly, having a bad trip is never a total waste, it is "the time on the water experience" you have earned to put it in your library for self correction of future trips!!! Understanding and remembering your own Personal bad trips is worth more than someone else's bad trips by a mile

Re: what I learened today [Re: lookingfor25] #9008499 06/06/13 01:31 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: lookingfor25
1. I need a bigger boat bolt
2. I need a depth/fish finder splat
3. I need a new back up trolling
motor battery hammer
4. Just because there is trees does not mean there are fish. whip
5. Dont pass up the first lake bang

1....maybe not .....wish i had a lil 2 man rite now myself ...
2....a cheapo 100 dollar dual beam is fine ....
3....if its the only propulsion device yes ....
4....trees in the water are like trees in woods ....
not every tree has a deer behind it either ya know rolfmao
5....i think i have past alot a fish on the way to not so many a few times myself bang
dont beat yourself up to much sir ....
them purtis kreek fish was a bit tuff on us last month ...
that post spawn thang ya know
we all have them trips that dont end up with a full livewell
btw ...what about the brim ??

Re: what I learened today [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #9008555 06/06/13 01:52 PM
F
Flat-Head Red Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: piscatur non solum piscator

rolfmao How often u get ta smoke them Cuban Seegars there P.N.S.P.? J.K.

Re: what I learened today [Re: lookingfor25] #9008611 06/06/13 02:06 PM
P
piscatur non solum piscator Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
25 you reminded me of my frustration when I was getting a handle on this crappie fishing thing. Still don't have it all figured out yet and if go back to Grapevine and refuse to fish the docks, there's a good chance I'll get skunked again. Ketchn and I have strategized, philosophized, organized and actionized many plans on how to make them fish bite. Where to fish, why the fish were there and what bait to use. But it all boils down to fishing where the fish are. And it ain't always easy to figure out where that is.

I've been fishing with sidescan and I'm pretty sure those little white dots were fish but they weren't crappie. We didn't catch any. I've also fished with someone who was using a St Croix rod and while I caught a couple of two or three crappie, he didn't catch even one.

I agree wholeheartedly with SLABmeSILLY. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting the best equipment your pocketbook will allow. If I live long enough I'll have the new wireless thermal scan imaging with DNA recognition on the Nova Scotia design inspired boat.

It's not the equipment that catches the fish, it's the fisherman. And like SLABmeSILLY said, you just got a valuable lesson in what not to do or what didn't work. Man I dislike those lesson days and dread knowing that there are so many more to come for me. That's what gives the old guys a good laugh (in a good way) when they see or read about our rookie misadventures.

Re: what I learened today [Re: lookingfor25] #9009313 06/06/13 05:40 PM
F
fishing_ken Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Certain tools put you ahead of the game in my opinion.... and sometimes those tools may cost more. NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT. Down and side imaging is a very valuable tool. Bigger is better when your talking about si/di but my 798 has improved my catch alot. And those have been found for under $900 on the forum. Fishing big water in a little boat can also be a hassle in the wind. My 17ft bassboat is enough in winds under 15mph, but thats my limit. I get a good 6 hours on a full charge from my trolling motor battery after continuous use. While being taught to fish trees, Im learning not to stay at one spot too long. Fish long enough to fish the back and front sides of the tree at different depths. Then move on. When they are there, the message is clear.

Re: what I learened today [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #9009319 06/06/13 05:42 PM
S
SlabWhisperer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
All good advice above!
Just remember what B-O-A-T stands for...
Bust Out Another Thousand!

Re: what I learened today [Re: lookingfor25] #9009383 06/06/13 06:11 PM
J
jiggin el Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
B-O-A-T ......bahahahahahahah
Great advice guys

Quit Wishin Go Fishin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread