Pro Angler
R

Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: rowlettfisherman] #9008186 06/06/13 10:41 AM
I
IrishTR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Still think its BS that even if the Charter stays within State waters, they have to adhere to Federal Bag Limits! Sorry but that's horseshite Feds overbearing State Laws!

Sadly no one in the State Representatives are gonna balk or fight the issue, so we as the recreational fishermen in TX get shafted to just 2 daily bag limit as apposed to the 4 allowed by State!

Now makes me want to purchase a boat and go every single weekend all year long and catch my daily limits within State Waters!

Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: IrishTR] #9008462 06/06/13 01:18 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
Originally Posted By: IrishTR
Sadly no one in the State Representatives are gonna balk or fight the issue, so we as the recreational fishermen in TX get shafted to just 2 daily bag limit as apposed to the 4 allowed by State!!

Incorrect, sir.
It is because of the Tx congress, & Tx a.g. filing the suit on behalf of rec's & TPWD that got us this far, & made NMFS play fair.
Tx state lawmakers are not the enemy, the fed is.

a small win, but a win nonetheless!

[Linked Image]
Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: lite-liner] #9011583 06/07/13 12:30 PM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: lite-liner

True Brian .... I'm not really expecting much from this so I will continue to fish "STATE WATERS". wink

I just did a 12 hr trip Wednesday out of DSH. the snaps were so thick and so hungry you couldn't get a bare jig down more than 15'. You could see 5 - 7 fish swarming the jig. It took about 20 minutes for the boat of 35 people to limit out.

All of which makes me wonder what all of these snaps are eating when we are not out there feeding them. Poor snappers frown.

"still" awesum
Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: tunatamer] #9012151 06/07/13 03:00 PM
T
Tuna Texas Offline
Angler
Angler
T
tunatamer.... After you limited out on snapper, what else did the DSH trip catch?

Tuna Texas
Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: Tuna Texas] #9012467 06/07/13 04:25 PM
D
ditkarulz Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Tuna Texas
tunatamer.... After you limited out on snapper, what else did the DSH trip catch?

X2
I'm going on that trip next Wednesday.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: tunatamer] #9012667 06/07/13 05:41 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted By: tunatamer

True Brian .... I'm not really expecting much from this so I will continue to fish "STATE WATERS". wink

I just did a 12 hr trip Wednesday out of DSH. the snaps were so thick and so hungry you couldn't get a bare jig down more than 15'. You could see 5 - 7 fish swarming the jig. It took about 20 minutes for the boat of 35 people to limit out.

All of which makes me wonder what all of these snaps are eating when we are not out there feeding them. Poor snappers frown.

They are eating the triggers and each other. We went out before the season started and there were tons of snapper. I dropped a line hooked abt a 3 pounder set it in the water to find the dehooker and had something cut it in two. As i was trying to get it out of the watr another snapper grabbed what was left. The way things are going there will be only big snapper until they are gone and no new ones to keep the circle going.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 06/07/13 05:42 PM.
Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: Tuna Texas] #9013168 06/07/13 07:56 PM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Tuna Texas

Mike .... After we limited out on Red Snappers we moved to a Beeliner spot. I got about 10 - 12 Beeliners. BTW if you don't like using those messy pieces of squid I was using "Fishbites" and was getting more bites and catching more fish than the others. While we were Beeliner fishing there were some folks flatlining for Kings off the back of the boat. My friend that was with me caught a 31" AJ while we were Beeliner fishing. I assume he had hooked a small one that the AJ ate.

There were also two Ling caught. A huge Ling was lost at the gaff. I also caught two Kings and handed some off to other folks. The boat had about 40 Kings. Also a 7'+ Scalloped hammer.

When we pulled up to the spot where we were going to Red Snapper fish the Capt. announced that we were not going to anchor because the fish were on top. It was so fast and furious you really couldn't cull a lot because it was going to be over in a few minutes. In the 20 or so minutes I caught 8 Snapper, two of which I handed off to folks that were not catching any because they were dropping to the bottom or didn't know how to use circle hooks.

Here's my two ....

"still" awesum
Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: tunatamer] #9022458 06/11/13 03:19 AM
F
fishead Offline
Angler
Angler
F
You going to be going out next week, Bobby? I might be able to get down and fish next week, probably on the 12 hour and an 8 hour. I hate only being able to keep 2 snapper but it's too far to drive for just one trip.

Well, you lose one, you rig one.
Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: lite-liner] #9022707 06/11/13 05:18 AM
I
IrishTR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Sadly no one in the State Representatives are gonna balk or fight the issue, so we as the recreational fishermen in TX get shafted to just 2 daily bag limit as apposed to the 4 allowed by State!!

Incorrect, sir.
It is because of the Tx congress, & Tx a.g. filing the suit on behalf of rec's & TPWD that got us this far, & made NMFS play fair.
Tx state lawmakers are not the enemy, the fed is.

Wasn't saying TX Lawmakers were the problem, I was just stating that our representatives are allowing the Feds to hand down orders that override the State Regulations, which blows frown

Oh well not like we're gonna get to make any changes to it now... I went out on 2 charters and came back with 4 Fat Red Snapper so I'm content I guess.

Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: fishead] #9023133 06/11/13 01:26 PM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: fishead
You going to be going out next week, Bobby? I might be able to get down and fish next week, probably on the 12 hour and an 8 hour. I hate only being able to keep 2 snapper but it's too far to drive for just one trip.

Yeah I can go. There really isn't any reason to do a 12 hour because it takes a few minutes to limit out on snaps. And they fish for sharks, kings and sometimes Beeliners afterwards.

Shoot me an email if you still have my addy and let me know if you are coming down.

"still" awesum
Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: IrishTR] #9081136 06/29/13 04:39 AM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Still think its BS that even if the Charter stays within State waters, they have to adhere to Federal Bag Limits! Sorry but that's horseshite Feds overbearing State Laws!

Sadly no one in the State Representatives are gonna balk or fight the issue, so we as the recreational fishermen in TX get shafted to just 2 daily bag limit as apposed to the 4 allowed by State!

Now makes me want to purchase a boat and go every single weekend all year long and catch my daily limits within State Waters!

Someone clarify this for me - a private boat that is NOT for hire, or a for-hire boat that does not have Federal permits (i.e. State waters guide license only), may still retain the state limit of 4 red snapper in State waters year-round, right?

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: red snapper fed waters [Re: Uncle Zeek] #9081199 06/29/13 05:25 AM
D
Day0ne Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Zeek the Greek

Someone clarify this for me - a private boat that is NOT for hire, or a for-hire boat that does not have Federal permits (i.e. State waters guide license only), may still retain the state limit of 4 red snapper in State waters year-round, right?

Yes

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide