Print Thread
Braid no birds nest?? #8996615 06/02/13 10:33 PM
A
AustinTx87 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Just watched a video that said braided line doesn't backlash and doesn't cause birds nest? True or false? Birds nest is something I hate to deal with while at the lake. It doesn't do it a lot but sometimes when switching between lures it may backlash on me. I've never used braided line before but I have been wanting to try switching to braided line. What are the ups/downs about using braided line?

Show me where the fish are and I'll catch them ;-)
Re: Braid no birds nest?? [Re: AustinTx87] #8996887 06/03/13 12:20 AM
J
Jeremy S. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Oh it will and when it does, it's epic.

It's very soft and if you happen to have a professional over run into the wind or maybe a cast you release too low because you're fishing at night and it hits the water 25 feet from the boat instead of 100 feet from the boat it will make knots that will blow your mind.

I do believe it's less prone to do so but if and when it does, they are worth taking pictures of.

Re: Braid no birds nest?? [Re: Jeremy S.] #8997412 06/03/13 03:20 AM
A
AustinTx87 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: slodsm

It's very soft and if you happen to have a professional over run into the wind or maybe a cast you release too low because you're fishing at night and it hits the water 25 feet from the boat instead of 100 feet from the boat it will make knots that will blow your mind.

I do believe it's less prone to do so but if and when it does, they are worth taking pictures of.

lol That's something I would hate to deal with. Ill have to try it to find out. The regular line gets birds nest but when it does it shows bends and corners in the line after. If braided line doesn't do that I think it will be worth the try.

Re: Braid no birds nest?? [Re: Jeremy S.] #8998921 06/03/13 06:18 PM
P
Paul Johnson Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
it will make knots that will blow your mind.

I had to laugh at this. While in Galveston for spring break, I bought a Daiwa Saltist that I had been eyeballing for a bit. I'm not new to conventional casting, but this reel was a beast of a different feather. My god, the bird nest I produced in the wind were something to be marveled. It kept both my young son & I laughing all week long.

I never thought to snap a quick pic. Possibly I had some sort of record? Maybe I had finally made that Texas state record list? laugh

I did learn one thing, quickly. If the net is that bad, tighten the drag & crank it out. Picking it out will destroy your line in a hurry.

Nooooooo.... (as the big one gets away again)
Re: Braid no birds nest?? [Re: AustinTx87] #9001385 06/04/13 01:36 PM
S
Samarai Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I agree, when it occurs there no way on uncoiling it. I put it asside and deal with it when I get home where I have some sanity. Thats why I always carry a spinner on the boat.

Re: Braid no birds nest?? [Re: AustinTx87] #9001503 06/04/13 02:16 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
You have to keep reel well-tuned, especially when changing lures.
It only takes a minute at most to tune it. Each lure has its own unique weight (even 2 exact copies). If you cast into the wind, tune it harder.

When spooling a reel with braid, you should always also use a mono backing first.

Pros on Braid:
- Is very sensitive
- Little to No Line Memory
- Thin diameter for heavy line compared to mono & flouro
- It cuts through vegetation like a knife on lettuce.

Cons on Braid:
- Some brands still flatten, causing backlash
(IMO, I recommend only Power Pro)

- It buries itself, causing backlash, even when using a mono backing. (Reducing the drag helps prevent this, but check your spool after landing a fish & if you get hung up)

- Its visible to fish. (Yes, I believe in the "fish are less likely bite if they see the line" theory)

Before fluorocarbon was introduced, I used to use braid 100% of the time in all applications.

Now I use braid only when I'm in an area with lots of vegetation and/or Im using top-water lures

(Other than Spiderwire Flourobraid, Braid line floats)

Re: Braid no birds nest?? [Re: AdanV] #9002315 06/04/13 05:49 PM
A
AustinTx87 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: AdanV
You have to keep reel well-tuned, especially when changing lures.
It only takes a minute at most to tune it. Each lure has its own unique weight (even 2 exact copies). If you cast into the wind, tune it harder.

When spooling a reel with braid, you should always also use a mono backing first.

Pros on Braid:
- Is very sensitive
- Little to No Line Memory
- Thin diameter for heavy line compared to mono & flouro
- It cuts through vegetation like a knife on lettuce.

Cons on Braid:
- Some brands still flatten, causing backlash
(IMO, I recommend only Power Pro)

- It buries itself, causing backlash, even when using a mono backing. (Reducing the drag helps prevent this, but check your spool after landing a fish & if you get hung up)

- Its visible to fish. (Yes, I believe in the "fish are less likely bite if they see the line" theory)

Before fluorocarbon was introduced, I used to use braid 100% of the time in all applications.

Now I use braid only when I'm in an area with lots of vegetation and/or Im using top-water lures

(Other than Spiderwire Flourobraid, Braid line floats)

Thanks for the info. This coming Friday Ill put braid line to the test.

Re: Braid no birds nest?? [Re: Paul Johnson] #9002331 06/04/13 05:51 PM
A
AustinTx87 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Paul Johnson
it will make knots that will blow your mind.

I had to laugh at this. While in Galveston for spring break, I bought a Daiwa Saltist that I had been eyeballing for a bit. I'm not new to conventional casting, but this reel was a beast of a different feather. My god, the bird nest I produced in the wind were something to be marveled. It kept both my young son & I laughing all week long.

I never thought to snap a quick pic. Possibly I had some sort of record? Maybe I had finally made that Texas state record list? laugh

I did learn one thing, quickly. If the net is that bad, tighten the drag & crank it out. Picking it out will destroy your line in a hurry.

Yeah, I've had some crazy birds nest with the Abu Garcia blk max and the Shamono. But once I remembered about the brakes it hasn't happened since.

Re: Braid no birds nest?? [Re: Jeremy S.] #9022047 06/11/13 01:47 AM
T
TwoRangers Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T

What he said. I fish Florida a lot and use braid. I carry an extra reel in my carrybag. I have had braid backlashes that I had to take home and pick out. It does not happen often ----- but when it does it can be serious bad. I only use Power Pro and have been using baitcasters since the seventies.....a braid backlash is unreal when it happens.

Last edited by TwoRangers; 06/11/13 01:52 AM.

Fishing Arkansas and Florida. Retired, driving Rangers, catching bass, releasing them live and loving it.

Re: Braid no birds nest?? [Re: AustinTx87] #9023407 06/11/13 02:47 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
If you hang something behind you as you cast, you'll have a Eagles nest! Get the scissors. I have more trouble with it getting wrapped around my rod tip, But I still use and like braid.

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Re: Braid no birds nest?? [Re: AustinTx87] #9028952 06/13/13 02:10 AM
F
Flyer Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I use braid almost exclusively, but i do use leaders. Suffix 832 for me. I tried 2 different flavors of spiderwire and have since pulled all of it off. That stuff is really bad about digging into the spool. Tightening the brake helped a lot at the loss of distance. Suffix 832 is much better.

It does tend to wrap around the tip more but you come accustomed to recognizing it and straightening it out a lot easier.

I dont have to much trouble with backlashes though. One notable thing is how mono bows out when you try and pick it out .. braid doesn't. It bends and conceals into the loosened line and is a lot harder to pull out. The nail file part of finger nail clippers does help with that though.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide