Print Thread
Cancun Charter advice #8858567 04/23/13 04:31 PM
S
Sooner in TX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I hate to make my first post a request for free advice, so let me introduce myself first.

I spend most my time over on THF, but I poke around here every now and then. I like to fish, but not real serious with time and equipment being in short supply. I don't know enough to give anyone else advice and most questions I have are asked by others. So I haven't needed to get a log in. I normally bank fish for crappie or catfish, but have taken an inshore trip for shark and a deep-sea trip for amberjack, both out of FL.

I am taking a trip down to Cancun with some non-fishing friends in October. My wife has agreed to go on a 6 hour max fishing trip with me. (The others will go SCUBA diving without us). Funds are still a little tight, so she has suggested some of these "Shared Boat" trips. They are running around $125-$200/person, but you share the boat with some strangers. They max out at 6/boat. This drops the price for me and my wife from $550+ for a private boat to around $400.

I have also looked at the inshore/light tackle trips. Those also look like fun, but then she has to sit outside without shade the whole time.

Any advice? Has anyone had any experience with the shared trips or can anyone recommend a fishing charter to go with? What fish should I target in October? (None of the Fishing Calendars that supposedly show what are biting when agree with each other.)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8858591 04/23/13 04:39 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Advice... if some are going fishing and others are going scuba... pay the little extra per person and get 2 boats to do what you want...

if not... the ones fishing will not be happy ...and they'll probably snag the scuba divers...which might be fun at first..but someone will sleep in the doghouse. All kidding aside... it would be tough to mix the 2 trips unless everyone fishes the first couple hours and then everyone goes scuba diving...yeah, there might be a couple people each period that just sit and chill... but if you're going to go all that far and it's just $150/ ea. more to get what you want... it'll be well worth it.

Where are you thinking of going out of?

Maybe some of the others know this.. but i'm not sure of much reef diving in LA near shore waters... might be scuba around an oil platform..

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8858598 04/23/13 04:40 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Fish to target in La that time of year will be REDFISH...big ones in the passes or trout, reds, and flounder inshore. Great time of year to do either of those.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8858693 04/23/13 05:09 PM
S
Sooner in TX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Sorry, I must have buried the lead. The SCUBA Divers are going on their own boat separately, so it is just me and my wife fishing. Also, we are going out of Cancun, Mexico. We are staying in the Hotel Zone, so transport should be easy.

Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8869498 04/26/13 04:21 PM
S
Sooner in TX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
So no one here has chartered a boat out of Cancun? No one has experiance fishing down there in October?

Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8878381 04/29/13 07:26 PM
B
beerfishin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
SOONER IN TX

I fished in Cancun three times. The first time we chartered a boat for a half day trip and caught nothing but Barracuda. The boat had some cheap 75 dollar fish finder on it. The last two times we chartered 8 hour trips from Aqua World. They are on the lagoon side and across from the resorts. The first trip, we had a marlin tailing the bait but just couldnt hook him. I dont remember the name of the fish that we caught but they are similar to tuna and produce a good fight. The Captain and crew were very good. The first time, the crew saw that I had some american made snuff and each bummed a pinch. The second time, I came armed with a few extra cans and you would think I was giving away gold. Google 'cancun fishing charters'. I would recommend Aqua World, nice clean well equipped boats aand they have a sizable fleet. In Cancun, you dont have to go out too far to hit deep water

Last edited by beerfishin; 04/29/13 07:31 PM.
Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8878396 04/29/13 07:30 PM
B
beerfishin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Bonito-thats the majority of the fish we caught.

Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8882194 04/30/13 06:12 PM
S
Sooner in TX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks for the help. I'm worried about what I would find. I've have also heard rumors about boats holding a mile offshore waiting for tips before bringing you to the docks. I have seen Aqua World, but wondered if it was over priced or a "you get what you pay for" kinda thing.

Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8882428 04/30/13 07:08 PM
B
Bullet20XrD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Check with Capt Ricks. My wife and I went on a charter last May and went 4 for 4 on Marlin, 6 mahi, and 2 blackfin. Very good captain and mate. It's also worth it to sample the bonefish in Ascension bay.

Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8896578 05/04/13 05:26 AM
B
basspromaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I'll say this much about deep sea fishing in Cancun, it's no Cabo San Lucas or even Port Aransas. You will here of a few good trips here and there but my experience there and a friends who frequented Cancun for business and vacation is that the fishing was always so so. There were two trips where we found a real captain and offshore charter that didn't take you out and just drive you around. Personally I would much rather do scuba and or save the money for a very big special lobster and steak dinner with a great bottle of wine after and after dinner scotch and a Cuban!!!

Politicians, baseball players, high-powered corporate CEO's they all seem to eventually let us down. Nature, however, does not. Look to her for inspiration and you will learn the secrets to living a good life. The most Important lesson it would seem is to make sure you spend as much time fishing as anything else.
Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8933703 05/15/13 05:00 AM
K
Kris_tx Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
I wouldn't do a shared trip again. 6 hours is a long time to be stuck with strangers you dont know. Much more enjoyable by yourself.

Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8938429 05/16/13 02:34 PM
M
Mo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
M
Not to brag , but I have fished offshore in Costa Rica , Belize,
Texas ,Louisiana , Florida , Cancun and Puerto Vallarta .
I would rate Cancun at the bottom of the list.

If I were committed to fishing there , I would ride the
Ferry to Cosumel or Isla Mujeres and charter from one of
those Islands.

It is hard to find hard good , hard working guide in
tourist destinations where fishing in not the #1 activity.

good luck

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8940681 05/17/13 12:14 AM
S
SDhookem Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I was in Cancun last Aug and also wanted a trip. Most of the charters wanted $600+ to take me out. Or you could do the share trip for around $200. I had my hotel find me a private guide for a bay trip. Cost me about $300 if I remember right, but it was just me and I caught plenty of fish. Mostly barracuda. But I also got a few jacks, and some baby tarpon. Real fun on light tackle. There was another guy at my hotel that paid about $900 for a 6hr charter for him and his wife. Came back and said they did not catch one single fish.

Gone fishin', be back at dark-thirty!
Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8941406 05/17/13 03:24 AM
T
TxRedbone Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
If you have never been to cancan you wouldn't know but it is a money pit. I thought it would be a little cheaper to fish than it was but the people down there love their American dollars. I can't remember the name of the guide my wife and I used but we went on a shared trip. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. First of all they tell you if you don't catch a fish then they will take you again or you can get your money back. Your normally going with people who never fish so how they get you there is the first few hours of the trip we were trolling with sabeekey rigs catching Bonita (for bait). Which made the non fishers happy. It got old real fast. Then we trolled with the Bonita for the bigger fish. You got to take turns reeling the fish in. The water was really rough prob somewhere between 8-12' waves and we were trolling in open water the whole time. Take that into account if you get sea sick they normally don't drop fish down there. The guides were nice the boat was not to bad. We went in October also. I caught about a 45 lb amberjack one other guy caught one a little bigger and everything else that was caught were barracuda. It's just a matter of luck down there. You gotta be in the right place right time. You might get to hook into 1-3 fish on a shared trip. I wish I could be more help to you. Just my experience but I know it cost more but a private charter you would prob do better. They will work harder to put you on fish and bigger fish. The shared trips are just after your money most of the time. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did. Oh yeah they will give you some of the meat and you can take it to the restaurants to have them cook it if you want. I had to ask and they were hesitant about giving it to me. I was looking forward to eating some tasty amberjack but when they cut into it it was full of worms. Don't know if it's seasonal or not but that is about the same time y'all are going

Re: Cancun Charter advice [Re: Sooner in TX] #8943112 05/17/13 06:19 PM
J
JBaranzyk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I just fished in Cancun on 4-20 with Captain Ricks. I think we paid like 550+tip for 6 hours or so. However, we got sea sick. I never get sea sick, but it happened and we had to come back early, since it was not just me. We weren't catching much either but thats fishing. BUT I did manage to land a sailfish, which was awesome. The crew was good the boat was fine, but it was just a little rough in my opinion. Glenna (I think the owner) arranged transportation from our hotel in Riveira Maya for $15 each and we were about 45 min away. We fished out of Puerto Morelos. The other boats were having a slow day too I guess, they caught cuda, sailfish, and a few other things. I also went fishing in Cabo the following week, which I liked better. Overall, I felt Capt Ricks was good. But if you're actually in Cancun it may be worth it to check out Isla Mujeres.

Last edited by JBaranzyk; 05/17/13 06:20 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide