Forums59
Topics1,038,957
Posts13,956,435
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: SnakeEyes] #8886243 05/01/13 06:01 PM
D
dbullmoose Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I am truly astonished that people are still arguing the point of the original post. Its not that you shouldnt keep fish you intend to eat or that you cant hold them by the lip.

The Point is: You can cut their F&$king head off if youre going to eat them, who cares, but why break their jaw by holding them with their mouth 90 degrees to the ground if you plan on releasing them. Hold them like KickerFish29 is in his signature for instance. This is perfectly Okay.

There is really nothing to argue about in this post. When the debate points get as clever as I can injure and then release an animal because its a free country all I can say is.... WOW!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: dbullmoose] #8886366 05/01/13 06:37 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: dbullmoose
I am truly astonished that people are still arguing the point of the original post. Its not that you shouldnt keep fish you intend to eat or that you cant hold them by the lip.

So if we go back to the OP, it was about Bill Dance and how he holds his bass.....It would seem as though he would have a private lake full of bass that have broken jaws. Sorry we got off track.... smile

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: SnakeEyes] #8886369 05/01/13 06:38 PM
R
RJF1423 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
This why I filet all my big bass.. I don't have to worry about them starving because their jaw is broken and boy they are TASTY!

Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: Eric Gandy] #8886391 05/01/13 06:43 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Eric Gandy
Where's the guy that said he hits bass in the head with a rock so they don't make a bunch of noise in the cooler? I'd like his opinion on the matter.

Was that Mr. Qwong? He really brought great rhythm to the forum! His succunlent baby bass recipes were really great!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #8886465 05/01/13 07:01 PM
D
dbullmoose Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
WOW! You must be posting from the Short Bus.

The OP is not really about Bill Dance or his private lake. Its about good practice for handling fish you intend to release.... Hey, why not just poke their eyes out too? It's a free country right?...

Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: dbullmoose] #8886476 05/01/13 07:03 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
WOW! You must be posting from the Short Bus.

The OP is not really about Bill Dance or his private lake. Its about good practice for handling fish you intend to release.... Hey, why not just poke their eyes out too? It's a free country right?...

Don't talk bad about people who ride the short bus! That's not nice! They have to get to school too!

Actually, since you bring it up..... I bet you have had a hook poke an eye out on a bass? Am I right?

Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: SnakeEyes] #8886489 05/01/13 07:06 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Would you rather have a broken jaw or missing an eyeball if you were a fish?

I'd take a broken jaw anyday! Bass don't chew! They swallow! eeks

They use their eyes to locate food.

I have caught more bass with one eye than I have with "broken" jaws. Makes you wonder where we put our emphases? (Glad the fish was facing towards my bait...since he only had one eye)

Wonder why we don't see complete blind fish? Cause they ain't gonna live long....that's a fact.

Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #8886527 05/01/13 07:14 PM
D
dbullmoose Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Of course I have, but thats not the point. The point is why not handle them the best you can if you intend on releasing them? If you plan on putting them in the skillet, who cares what you do to them.

Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: dbullmoose] #8886584 05/01/13 07:29 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Of course I have, but thats not the point. The point is why not handle them the best you can if you intend on releasing them? If you plan on putting them in the skillet, who cares what you do to them.

Do you use single barbless hooks when you fish? When you plan on releasing them?

What if they get a hook in the eye? What do you do? Cull him to the fryer?

I'm simply making discussion. Look up Catch and Release methods and you will see there is much more than holding up a fish.....we can't pretend we are taking care of our resources, but the truth is.....holding a bass by his lip is only one aspect of the C & R.

If we really want to look at good C & R practices look at the fly fishing guys...they use wet nets, keeping fish in the water throughout the unhooking process, they actually revive their fish by swooshing water in their gills, using barbless hooks, light line and light rods to not danger or over work the fish. ON and on and on.....

BUT all that would put a damper on our fun! Right?

About all you can throw on a circle barbless hook is a wacky worm. smile

Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #8886635 05/01/13 07:42 PM
D
dbullmoose Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Arguing over an internet forum is really not my bag. Also, I am no saint when it comes to fish care, but I honestly do try. If you are merely playing devils advocate and Im misreading you, I apologize.

Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: SnakeEyes] #8886662 05/01/13 07:50 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Just making people use their brain and make their own decisions ....also trying to provide a little humor along the way.

smile

What else is there to do today? I'm trying not to work.

Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #8887140 05/01/13 10:12 PM
210amatuerangler Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Would you rather have a broken jaw or missing an eyeball if you were a fish?

I'd take a broken jaw anyday! Bass don't chew! They swallow! eeks

They use their eyes to locate food.

I have caught more bass with one eye than I have with "broken" jaws. Makes you wonder where we put our emphases? (Glad the fish was facing towards my bait...since he only had one eye)

Wonder why we don't see complete blind fish? Cause they ain't gonna live long....that's a fact.

Are you serious? Fish have to open their mouth to swallow... Which uses the JAW. And lol at bass being blind equalling death. What do you think they can "see" in 30 fow? I'd take the missing eye over the jaw anyway if I had receptors on my body that help me locate food. At least I would still be able to eat.

Originally Posted By: Scott N
You know the old saying

If it floats, flys, or f___s it is always cheaper to rent!

You have to decide which is more important.
Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: SnakeEyes] #8887161 05/01/13 10:19 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Yes, fish can see in 30' of water. Ever been to Amistad?

How about 2 missing eyes? smile

Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: SnakeEyes] #8887167 05/01/13 10:21 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
Can we weigh in on bowfishing?

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Why you shouldnt hold bass like Bill Dance.... [Re: John175☮] #8887174 05/01/13 10:26 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: John175
Can we weigh in on bowfishing?

Always is a great topic to stay entertained. smile

I know where the tilapia are thick! Carp already did their thing....tearing up bass beds! bolt

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide