Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
What is the difference between #8877377 04/29/13 02:41 PM
H
Hoss Holding Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Every weekend, there are tournaments all over this state and really all over the country for the most part. Just looking at our state and when you go and read the results you will usually see the same guys either winning or in the money in the events they fish. What is the difference between those guys and the guys who are good but just seem not to be able to take that next step. With all the information we have availible to us on almost any body of water, what sets apart a guy who consisitly cashes checks or a guy who is close but just misses by a few pounds. Is it equipment? Is it time management on tournament day? Is it fish found pre fishing? I mean for the most part, all are pretty good fishermen who study and prepare properly for a event so it just had me cwondering what is that little extra that some have?

I am blessed to have a opportunity to live a childhood dream as a professional wrestler

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8877389 04/29/13 02:45 PM
bigcat85 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
time on water

Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8877401 04/29/13 02:47 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/8862868/Re_WARNING#Post8862868

Watch the videos. G-Man talks about KVD and his mental "game".

We all have a rod, a reel and a lure....they all catch fish the same from one person to the next. It's simple....you cast and reel, fish bites, you reel in the fish. Repeat. It's what you have going on "upstair" that makes the difference.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8877566 04/29/13 03:31 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
I think a lot of it is confidence and simply outworking everyone else. I know I have the work ethic and I spend a ton of time on the water but I lack the confidence part. Its frustrating as hell not to have better results than I do. My hat is off to those that are consistently winning and it gives me something to strive for.

Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8877584 04/29/13 03:36 PM
B
basspastor (retired) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I know at times I am my worst enemy by trying to hard....learn to relax and go fishing......

Gerald

Blessings
Lake O' the Pines
Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8877633 04/29/13 03:52 PM
C
Cloud Dancer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
In order to excel you need to be determined, stay focused, AND be obsessed. Acquire this mindset, and proceed to fish for many years, and at some point you will either begin to outperform the competition, or go back to hobby fishing.
I did it in auto racing (dirt track wingless sprint cars). Then, I turned it into a business.
I also did it in flying certain missions, in a certain type of jet aircraft.
Fishing? I insist on keeping it at the hobby stage.

Need to improve my LMB fishing, running out of time.
Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8877634 04/29/13 03:52 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
This has been my life question also and from my experience on Falcon, Amistad and Ivie it comes down to the locals doing the best in the tournaments that count. They seem to have a network of friends that also fish these tournaments. They work together as a click to get the job done. Shareing information and fishing holes to win first, second and third in the tournaments.
Three, four and more guys on the water daily will just about shut the weekend angler out of the paycheck everytime. Sure I got down there several times and worked my tail off for a week and was able to compete but not on a regular basis. It was always the the same group of guys taking the top three paychecks with the hard working guy like myself coming in there somewhere once in a while.
Don't we just love donating to these fisherman. This is a big reason that I wish I had invested all that money into Mexico trips on a regular basis. Those frequent trips was not able to happen because of work, which caused me to donate more than I won. Tournaments were just to keep up the habbit; but not anymore. I am happy now to go to Mexico ever chance I get. It seems that 3 or 4 trips down South is enough to keep up the habbit as I have wised up. It just took me 30 years to get it through this thick head.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: What is the difference between [Re: Mark Perry] #8878087 04/29/13 05:57 PM
H
Hoss Holding Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I think a lot of it is confidence and simply outworking everyone else. I know I have the work ethic and I spend a ton of time on the water but I lack the confidence part. Its frustrating as hell not to have better results than I do. My hat is off to those that are consistently winning and it gives me something to strive for.

I think confidence has so much to do with it also, when you are riding high and cofident it just seems like its golden but when you lose that confidence, that edge is maybe when you start slipping and then you start pressing and then pressing to hard equals mistakes and you just cant afford those with the great group that fishes against you week in and week out. Now how do you restore that confidence, what steps?

I am blessed to have a opportunity to live a childhood dream as a professional wrestler

Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8878140 04/29/13 06:11 PM
F
Fork Fanatic Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I think it comes down to 3 things. One is time on the water, being mentally tough, and the main thing is decisions on tournament day. It's all about making the right decisions that day.

Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8878174 04/29/13 06:19 PM
C
Charley David Offline
Angler
Angler
C
90% mental think about how much of your day you are completely focused. We all miss a lot of bites but the best miss less.

Equipment is also important as is finding fish.

John 14:23 Anyone!! who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love him. We will come to him & make our home with him.
Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8878186 04/29/13 06:22 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
My biggest issues is that i can find them but it seems in bigger tournaments the wheels just fall off. Had two BWs events one last year and then Tawakoni a few weeks ago where I had the fish for a win or Top 3 finish and could not keep them buttoned up. Just flukey stuff happens in those events for me. At this point its gotta be mental. I do just fine in Media. BLT etc with the same if not more boats in them but its like I am cursed in the BWS. Its weird but again its got to be mental.

Re: What is the difference between [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #8878191 04/29/13 06:24 PM
O
onthebank Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/8862868/Re_WARNING#Post8862868

Watch the videos. G-Man talks about KVD and his mental "game".

We all have a rod, a reel and a lure....they all catch fish the same from one person to the next. It's simple....you cast and reel, fish bites, you reel in the fish. Repeat. It's what you have going on "upstair" that makes the difference.

+1. The guy cashing the check is more mentally aware and knows exactly what happened at the time he caught a fish and can repeat it. That mental edge helps them hone in on a pattern a little faster than the competition which in turn leads to more wins. Focus goes a long way.

"That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten".~Winston Wolf
Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8878274 04/29/13 06:53 PM
TBT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
DHolding,

I think in addition to time on the water and a focused mindset to win, there are a lot of other little things that also make a big difference:

* Changing your line frequently...How many times do you lose the big one due to the line breaking?

* Having sharp hooks...How many times have you noticed your hooks had a bent point after your fish is lost due to the barb not penatrating properly?

* Being quite...How many times do we spook fish with unnecessary noise: banging into stumps, dropping the trolling motor into the water, creating a major wake by stopping the boat 10 feet from where we intend to fish, casting the lure 30' in the air to splash down instead of easing it into the water, etc.?

* Getting too close to the fish...How many times, in clear water, do you see the fish swim away just under the boat?

* Improper lure presentation...How many times do we cast in areas that we could not possibly retrieve the fish when he bites only to say "she wrapped me around a limb, the pier, the grass, etc. and I lost her"?

* Leaving an area holding fish...How many times did we leave an area holding fish to try the "greener pasture" when we might could have just changed lures or the presentation to improve the bite?

* Using the right equipment...How many times were the rods too limber for worm hook sets or reel retreive ratios to high for slow presentation baits because we did not want to take the time to put the right bait on the right rod with the right reel.

After talking with many many anglers who weigh their fish in at our tournaments, these are the little things that most all the consistant money winning anglers do that keep the fish on and get them into the live well. Having the ability to be versatile in their bait selections while trying to locate the fish instead of trying to force feed the fish what they believe the fish want to eat is also one of their key strengths.

Food for thought,
BLT staff

Last edited by TBT; 04/29/13 06:54 PM.

Re: What is the difference between [Re: Donald Harper] #8880077 04/30/13 02:49 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
This has been my life question also and from my experience on Falcon, Amistad and Ivie it comes down to the locals doing the best in the tournaments that count. They seem to have a network of friends that also fish these tournaments. They work together as a click to get the job done. Shareing information and fishing holes to win first, second and third in the tournaments.
Three, four and more guys on the water daily will just about shut the weekend angler out of the paycheck everytime. Sure I got down there several times and worked my tail off for a week and was able to compete but not on a regular basis. It was always the the same group of guys taking the top three paychecks with the hard working guy like myself coming in there somewhere once in a while.
Don't we just love donating to these fisherman. This is a big reason that I wish I had invested all that money into Mexico trips on a regular basis. Those frequent trips was not able to happen because of work, which caused me to donate more than I won. Tournaments were just to keep up the habbit; but not anymore. I am happy now to go to Mexico ever chance I get. It seems that 3 or 4 trips down South is enough to keep up the habbit as I have wised up. It just took me 30 years to get it through this thick head.

Boy, that sounds just like rayburn tourneys. I think it depends on what trail you fish also. If you fish a local trail that are all on the same lake or same few lakes theres a different key to success i think. The local ringers are a tight knit group that all share info to stay on top. They drop brush or other fish holding things and keep them up yearly. They put in hard work but typically when put on a different lake, cant perform as well as at home. Then there are trails that are different lakes each year. I believe this is where better anglers shine. Not that there isnt info sharing or guys with friends pre fishing for them during off limits, but they have to be more well rounded as an angler. They have to be able to catch fish in any water color under any condition. Lets just say rayburn for example, its basically the same baits every year winning. You get stuck in that same lake patterns as a local guy and thats hard to shake.

Re: What is the difference between [Re: Hoss Holding] #8880158 04/30/13 03:08 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Confidence in your ability to catch the fish you know are in an area and also 100% confidence in your ability to adapt on the water on any given day. IMO, you have to be committed to your decisions, most good anglers have the ability to find fish, the better ones seem to have the confidence that they can catch those fish when it matters.

I have been fortunate to have gotten to pick the brains of some very good anglers and a common theme from all is that when they know the winning fish are in an area, they have the confidence and patients to spend the time catch them...

#MFGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide