texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,008
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,878
Posts13,954,690
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath #8850603 04/21/13 12:12 PM
P
piscatur non solum piscator Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
Met up with Grease Bath on Friday on Benbrook. It was one of the most memorable fishing trips ever. It started with the weatherman getting it all wrong. There were supposed to be light winds early and not pick up until midday. Not wanting to disappoint a fellow TFF member I decided to get an early start and find the fish before meeting Grease Bath in the afternoon.

Launched at Holiday Park and picked up Ketchn at the dam (crossing 1). Headed to the south end of the lake to fish a location that I now refer to as the "parking lot." Wind came up immediately. We managed to catch a couple and my plan was to wrap it up, grab some lunch and get back in time for the afternoon fishing. Back to the dam was a wet ride (crossing 2). I checked the updated weather and the winds were supposed to die down a little around noon. So instead of fighting the wind I hit some coves on the east side and hid out searching for crappie. Couldn't find a crappie to save my life.

The wind was worsening so I decided to pull out, try the "parking lot" again and get lunch (crossing 3). Picked up three more but I hadn't found any areas holding good numbers. Not wanting to disappoint, forget lunch, I decided to check the east side of the lake starting in the northeast corner (crossing 4). Made it back to the south end of the lake again without a crappie (crossing 5).

Time to meet Grease Bath and I hadn't eaten. Thanks for the food Grease Bath! So we smooth out a hiccup with the gate attendant (they thought he looked dangerous and I had to vouch for his character) and get to fishing. We started at the "parking lot", he fished while I ate. Now I had to break the bad news to him, although I had ten crappie in the live well it wasn't going to be a big numbers day.

We worked our way back up the lake from south to north with the wind finally lessening as we went along (crossing 5). One black bass, one white bass and two catfish later still no crappie. I decided to work the dam and met some bass fishermen who were accidentally catching crappie. After they told us they were suspended six feet down we managed to catch three before we ran into Sac-lait-Pat. He was negotiating with a hostile native. Way to keep your cool and walk in faith Pat. He (Pat) donated some fish to our cause as did the bass guys.

So with 21 crappie in the livewell I attempted my sixth crossing of the lake. Half way back the outboard died and I knew exactly why. I hadn't put gas since adding four gallons on Cedar Creek a couple of weeks ago. Grease Bath you are one fine fisherman and a great sport. He cheerfully says "No problem, we still have the trolling motor!" He doesn't know what I know, that battery is five or six years old, been shorted out, ran dry twice and worked hard all day.

I raise the outboard and give it a good try. We cover half the distance to the boat ramp before coming to a snails pace. I call Ketchn to give him the heads up on a possible water taxi run. While Grease Bath is the ever cheerful type and is making jokes about Venetian gondoliers I unhook the cranking battery and use it to get back to the ramp.

Multiple trips across the lake in whitecap conditions and the embarrassment of running out of gas and draining the trolling motor battery make that one of the most memorable trips ever. Thank you Grease Bath for putting up with the nonsense. Hope to fish with you again sometime, next time I'll have a new battery and a full tank of gas. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman and one of the finest fishermen I've had the pleasure to meet. Spirit, tenacity and love of the sport are strikingly evident in your fishing style. Men like you are the experts and gurus of the future.

Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #8850622 04/21/13 12:21 PM
P
papamark Offline
Mini Tractor
Mini Tractor
P
Make Note to myself

If invited to go fishing with:

piscatur non solum piscator

Bring extra GAS and a Trolling Motor Battery - lol

Sounded like a fun day

Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #8850646 04/21/13 12:36 PM
T
tomasc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
fish
sounds like it was a fun day!

\
Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #8850651 04/21/13 12:39 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
so are you trollin around the lake ?
or the forum ?
hehehe and yes the wind was ugly bro ....
nevermind the weather guys iz what i say .....
i know that was a epic journey ....
i almost cried when you hollared at me and explained the situation ....
we have a way to find dilemas dont we ....LOL
but it sounds like a true ADVENTURE of epic proportions to me

Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #8850652 04/21/13 12:40 PM
Flipp Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Ah...boys you know ya gotta get her "ship-shape" for company scared

"Crappie It's The Other White Meat"
Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #8850679 04/21/13 12:55 PM
P
piscatur non solum piscator Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
Flipp, you got that right. Really wouldn't have had any problem if I just stopped to put gas. I've got an 18 gallon tank and the motor sips gas so I just don't get fuel all that often. Skipping the preflight check is a recipe for disaster.

This is a good reminder for me to go down for maintenance for the next few days.

Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #8850711 04/21/13 01:09 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: piscatur non solum piscator
Met up with Grease Bath on Friday on Benbrook. It was one of the most memorable fishing trips ever. It started with the weatherman getting it all wrong. There were supposed to be light winds early and not pick up until midday. Not wanting to disappoint a fellow TFF member I decided to get an early start and find the fish before meeting Grease Bath in the afternoon.

Launched at Holiday Park and picked up Ketchn at the dam (crossing 1). Headed to the south end of the lake to fish a location that I now refer to as the "parking lot." Wind came up immediately. We managed to catch a couple and my plan was to wrap it up, grab some lunch and get back in time for the afternoon fishing. Back to the dam was a wet ride (crossing 2). I checked the updated weather and the winds were supposed to die down a little around noon. So instead of fighting the wind I hit some coves on the east side and hid out searching for crappie. Couldn't find a crappie to save my life.

The wind was worsening so I decided to pull out, try the "parking lot" again and get lunch (crossing 3). Picked up three more but I hadn't found any areas holding good numbers. Not wanting to disappoint, forget lunch, I decided to check the east side of the lake starting in the northeast corner (crossing 4). Made it back to the south end of the lake again without a crappie (crossing 5).

Time to meet Grease Bath and I hadn't eaten. Thanks for the food Grease Bath! So we smooth out a hiccup with the gate attendant (they thought he looked dangerous and I had to vouch for his character) and get to fishing. We started at the "parking lot", he fished while I ate. Now I had to break the bad news to him, although I had ten crappie in the live well it wasn't going to be a big numbers day.

We worked our way back up the lake from south to north with the wind finally lessening as we went along (crossing 5). One black bass, one white bass and two catfish later still no crappie. I decided to work the dam and met some bass fishermen who were accidentally catching crappie. After they told us they were suspended six feet down we managed to catch three before we ran into Sac-lait-Pat. He was negotiating with a hostile native. Way to keep your cool and walk in faith Pat. He (Pat) donated some fish to our cause as did the bass guys.

So with 21 crappie in the livewell I attempted my sixth crossing of the lake. Half way back the outboard died and I knew exactly why. I hadn't put gas since adding four gallons on Cedar Creek a couple of weeks ago. Grease Bath you are one fine fisherman and a great sport. He cheerfully says "No problem, we still have the trolling motor!" He doesn't know what I know, that battery is five or six years old, been shorted out, ran dry twice and worked hard all day.

I raise the outboard and give it a good try. We cover half the distance to the boat ramp before coming to a snails pace. I call Ketchn to give him the heads up on a possible water taxi run. While Grease Bath is the ever cheerful type and is making jokes about Venetian gondoliers I unhook the cranking battery and use it to get back to the ramp.

Multiple trips across the lake in whitecap conditions and the embarrassment of running out of gas and draining the trolling motor battery make that one of the most memorable trips ever. Thank you Grease Bath for putting up with the nonsense. Hope to fish with you again sometime, next time I'll have a new battery and a full tank of gas. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman and one of the finest fishermen I've had the pleasure to meet. Spirit, tenacity and love of the sport are strikingly evident in your fishing style. Men like you are the experts and gurus of the future.

MMHMMM, told ya his dad raised a GOOD kid...that CAN fish...and just FYI, that gate attendant is correct Greasebath IS dangerous...to the FISH...AND his midiclorian levels are astronomically high...WE just have to get him to come over from the dark side....Eloquently put, Piscatur.

So guys, nothing like an ADVENTUROUS day on the water....hey, did either of you get any pics?...I was wanting to check out the fishing attire today...SAY PISCATUR, where can I find one of those Lavender type fishing shirts...I'm thinking I need to get one...see how it goes with pin-striped bib overalls and straw brimmed fishing hat...don't cha know!!!! ...hehehehehehe

Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #8850729 04/21/13 01:18 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: piscatur non solum piscator
Flipp, you got that right. Really wouldn't have had any problem if I just stopped to put gas. I've got an 18 gallon tank and the motor sips gas so I just don't get fuel all that often. Skipping the preflight check is a recipe for disaster.

This is a good reminder for me to go down for maintenance for the next few days.

Ketchn remembers the fuel stop, the snacks, the water, pre-flight plan, etc. BUT HE CAN hit the only underwater hump within a MILE...with his prop....as he is flooring the SS Minnow...SO it takes LOTS of moving and scurrying around to get us off the hump sitting right out in the middle of the boat lane...man, I WISH I had some CHEESE to go with THAT WINE!!!!

Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #8850877 04/21/13 02:22 PM
G
Grease Bath Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Thanks for the kind words and great time on Friday PSNP. I had a lot of fun and learned quite a bit about Benbrook from our outing. I think I will be checking out that area you showed me around Rocky Creek for my upcoming bass tournaments. Sorry Crapicat for not getting any pics. I was in my "serious" mode trying to get my first crappie in the boat and there just wasn't any time to get the phone out and take pictures, next time I will though! Thanks to everyone who donated their fish to my non crappie catching cause! I have never gone fishing not caught a fish and ended up with a whole ice chest full! I will give those fish the proper hot grease treatment and post the pics up when I do. PSNP trips can only go up from here so just imagine what lays ahead. Thanks again for taking me out and showing me around the lake, I had a GREAT time on Friday!

Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: Grease Bath] #8851001 04/21/13 03:15 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Hey Greasebath, glad you liked the Piscatur adventure...My ONLY question..what color shirt did he have on? its a LIVELY discussion subject... rolfmao

Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #8851028 04/21/13 03:26 PM
G
Grease Bath Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
My memory is a little hazy but I believe it was blue...

Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: Grease Bath] #8851080 04/21/13 03:56 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Well, in case you ever need folks to render aid....you GOT to tell them what color shirt he is wearing so folks can find you on the water....cause his boat blends in with the background so well.

Re: Unforgettable Fishing Trip With Grease Bath [Re: Grease Bath] #8851153 04/21/13 04:25 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Grease Bath
My memory is a little hazy but I believe it was blue...

Besides, we are gonna have a fishing shirt competition this year...don't you know, so I got to keep up with those different color schemes...I got him on ugly hats...not sure if I got him on shirts though...Probably lose it on the Lavender shirt though....Of course, look at my pic on Ketchn's latest thread...had a "Real Sky" super stealth fishing shirt on...so I could sneak up on them from the bank. Worked too.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide