Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... #8767973 03/30/13 03:41 AM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R

If you take two flies, with at least one of which is smaller than an 18, tie them together with 5x tippet, add some split shot, and an indicator and what do you get?

You get a method of rigging and fishing that I have avoided using like the plague.

I don't particularly like dealing with minature flies - they are hard to see and hold. I just plain hate tying knots with 5x. When you put it all together these tandem rigs are a nightmare to cast. They tangle easily and are guaranteed to find every tree limb within a 5 mile radius...

I finally broke down and spent today fishing this type of setup, at least I fished it when I wasn't untangling it. laugh

All I can say is WOW!! It may be painful to rig up and use, but it WORKS for trout! All the fish today took the tiny little midge dropper fly and the split shot really helped get the flies down so that you got a longer and better drift with each cast.

So, pass the Kool-Aid, I'm now a believer.

I still don't like dealing with it, but I will be using this style of tandem rig.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8768496 03/30/13 11:33 AM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Welcome to the club, Rex. That's been my go-to trout setup ever since I first fished the San Juan back in the mid 1990s. It's a versatile and highly effective tactic. Next time we are together I'll show you some tricks to make the rigging easier.

Mickfly
Fish Friendly -- Life's too short to do it any other way
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8768658 03/30/13 12:58 PM
P
pearow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I tried it once and got a painful #18 in the meat on the side of my hand; I never fish with two flies; I'm a scardy kat!!!!!-p-

Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8768687 03/30/13 01:13 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Sounds wunderbar Rex! So how was it rigged? Where'd you place the split shot etc.?
I've been a hopper/dropper guy for a long time in my bluegill pursuits. I've been less successful as a trout angler. This might be my ticket.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8768835 03/30/13 02:19 PM
T
tly Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
You really want to get excited try Czech nymphing using 3 flys.Only saving grace to this is its all fairly short line.

Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8769165 03/30/13 04:21 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Robin, the basic setup is not very complicated. But I'm sure there a better/more effective way to do this.

The dropper was just a small brassie style fly (since they were the smallest thing I had with me) tied 12 to 18 inches below the first fly. The distance between the two flies was determined by how many times I broke the tippet trying to tie both of the knots.

A couple of split shots were placed 9 to 12 inches above the first fly. That distance was determined by how much they slipped down the leader while fishing with them. How much weight to use? I don't have a clue. The target is to use enough to get the flies down to the bottom without using too much to sink the indicator or get stuck to the bottom. The faster the water, the more weight is needed.

The theory with the indicator is to adjust it to match the depth of the water for the run you're fishing. Your guess is as good as mine as to how to determine how deep the water is??? I just tried to set it so that I bumped a rock ever so often. By the way, I tried one of the new style Thingamabobbers with the attached plug, I liked it a whole lot. Easier to use than other indicators I've used before.

Robin, you do of course realize that taking trout fishing advise from me is basically a blind leading the blind situation???

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8769185 03/30/13 04:27 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
There's a new fly fishing show on World Fishing Network called "In the Loop," featuring a kid who was recently the US Junior Fly Fishing Champion. In a recent show, he fished with a fellow competitor on several different kinds of streams near Jackson Hole. The setup his companion used with great success was a double nymph rig (two size 18 pheasant tails) and weight, but instead of a strike indicator, he had a long leader set up like this:

12 feet of 20 lb. Stren
4 feet of 15 lb Chameleon
2 foot sections of 10, 8 and 6 lb Amnesia in different colors
5x tippet

He used the Amnesia sections as his strike indicator, high-sticking so that the Amnesia sections were at or slightly above the surface of the water. He'd cast upstream, then follow the line down with the rod at a speed that allowed a slight bow to form in the Amnesia. When the bow straightened, he set the hook. He claims it is much more sensitive than a strike indicator, and picks up strikes more rapidly.

Mickfly
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8769194 03/30/13 04:28 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Mick, I would welcome some rigging tips. I just don't use these lighter tippit sizes very often.

I notice that may tippet collection consists of 12 lb, 10 lb, and 5X...

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8769207 03/30/13 04:31 PM
S
swellcat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

Rex, what kinds of casts worked for you when "throwing junk"?

Can you see softer rods being any more or less useful in this fishing?

The Belgian Cast

Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8769215 03/30/13 04:34 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Let's do it, Rex. I've got lots of old tippet material in a range of sizes you can experiment with.

Mickfly
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8769238 03/30/13 04:43 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
The less casting you do the better with this setup.

I was fishing Spillway Creek which is not very wide. So, distance is not an issue.

80+% of the casts were basically just roll casts. Let it drift down stream and then use a modified roll cast to flip it back up stream. Then I could immediately use another roll cast if needed to adjust where the fly landed to get the drift I wanted. Since the extra roll cast happened upstream it didn't seem to affect the fish.

When I did need to use a false cast, opening your loops up is necessary. A super tight loop that you need use when going for distance in the wind will just result in a really nasty knot when using wieghts and multiple flies.

And yes, the Belgian style cast works wonderfully with multiple fly rigs. I just didn't have room most of the time yesterday to use it.

The biggest casting challenge was keeping the flies out of the trees. So, the less casting the better.

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8769247 03/30/13 04:49 PM
K
kaboboom Offline
Angler
Angler
K
I've posted this before, but midge droppers catch lots of trout if you can keep them in the water rather than trying to thread tippet through their size 24 eyelet. I finally worked something out for this situation. I tied the tippet in on the bench, and thread these through a card of corrugated cardboard about 4" x 10". I call these my midge cards, and I actually had my wife sew a pocket down the front middle of a couple of tee-shirts to hold these. When I want o tie a midge onto a larger nymph or hopper/stimulator, I just draw out a pre-tippeted midge with my hemostats. Then I tie this with a Davy knot into the bend of the lead fly. If you ignore most of what I posted as goofy, that's fine, but you really need to check out the Davy knot...a simple little figure eight thingy that is easy to tie compared to an improved clinch when adding midges.

Last edited by kaboboom; 03/30/13 04:50 PM.
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8769253 03/30/13 04:51 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Yes, I like the softer action rods for this style of fishing. I also like a little longer rod. My primary creek/stream rod is a 8'9" ft TFO 3 wt Finesse.

Several folks have mentioned high stick nymphing and Chec nymphing style. Both of these techniques basically involve keeping as little fly line as possible on the water during the drift. (Actually, this is an over simplification, but close enough.) I was using something similar to this and a longer rod just makes this technique easier.

I know, I'll get some disagreement from the crowd that loves short rods in small waters, but I've found a little bit longer rod to be more versitile.

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8769260 03/30/13 04:53 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Kaboboom, I was wondering if pre-tying the tippets would work. It would sure save time on the river.

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid; I'm a convert... [Re: RexW] #8769264 03/30/13 04:54 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Another technical solution to the tiny fly challenge is to thread them onto threaders in a C&F Midge Threader box. Then all you need to do is to insert your tippet in the threader and slip the fly down over the threader onto the tippet.

Mickfly
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide