Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) #7788073 07/21/12 07:30 AM
S
SnK1993 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I see lots of saltwater newcomers asking for basic advice on what to take with them down to the coast. I love this question so I figured I post this for you newcomers to read over and get a good idea. I'm not avid saltwater angler but I do go down to Galveston during the summer and sometimes make a few weekend trips to Sargent/Matagorda.

Okay so first lets talk rod and reels. One of the first things we like to think is that we need to go buy a few of those cheapie surf rods at academy..No! Your freshwater gear can do just fine. Just make sure you rinse them down with freshwater after you use them even if you don't plan on wade fishing. My rod and reels I take are ones that I use on a regular basis at home in the lake for big cats, hybrids and sand bass.

These are the two I'll take with me for a weeks worth of fishing in the bay or surf. I like to have a fairly stiff 6 1/2' baitcaster setup for throwing different kinds of artificials and popping corks. the rod and reel I use here is a custom Allstar graphite rod with an Ambassador 5000 by Abu Garcia. All in all it makes for an easy to use workhorse setup and its really light witch makes all the difference when wading for long hours like I tend to do. Next is the spinning reel setup. In my book this is the best option to have for fishing live/natural bait on a multitude of bottom rigs (My favorite being the Carolina rig) The setup I use here is a 7 foot Ugly stick intercoastal series rod (the only ugly stick I've ever liked) and a Penn fierce series reel. As for line I use mostly 10-12lb mono. Sometimes 14lb on the bait caster. Now if you want to specifically target big sharks then you're opening a whole new can of goodies..I dont fish for big sharks so I cant tell you what you need. These two lighter setups can give you the most fight out of the smaller fish but can handle big ones just fine. You just gotta hold on a little harder sometimes. (: The Red shown in my signature was caught on a smaller spinning combo then the one I showed you.

Now lets talk tackle. Leave the bulky tackle box at home..Get a nice plano box or two (the water proof ones if you can afford it). Here's my little arsenal..

Soo..The top image is obviously just some soft plastics and a few hard baits. If anything just to have some artificial baits on you get a gold spoon, topwater(super spook jr, mirror lure or whatever) in case you have some really calm water. And maybe a few paddle tail soft plastics like a TTF Red killer.

The second little box is for some terminal tackle. I like to have some sort of pyramid/surf sinker, some egg sinkers( 3/4-1 ounce) swivels, coast locks and beads for making my own rigs and jig heads and hooks of course. I use circle and croaker hooks. size 3/0 seems to be my favorite. The bottom picture is just some popping corks and bottom rigs I've made. In the box is stuff I use to make the leaders. 30lb fluro and some Triline big game 60lb mono. I never had a toothy fish bite off my line. Even small sharks though I'm not saying it wont happen because it will. Try and stay away from that ugly wire leader unless your target species requires it.

Yes there's a random bag of fish bites in there..never know if all else is fails. Lol..

Okay last thing..Just some things I'd recommend having.

Defiantly try to get a wading belt..It makes things so much better. Mine was 49.99 at Gander Mtn. This will allow you to keep some handy things on you and secured. Like some extra baits hooks etc..Good pair of pliers a rod holder for when you're trying to safely get your catch off the hook. They come with long stringer but when I'm by myself wading I'm strictly a Catch and release guy. So I like to rig up a floating bait bucket with that stringer rope and float. Now that big blue oval thing is one of the best 60 bucks I've spent at academy. Its a multipurpose aerated bait tank/cooler for fish or drinks. Its great for the pier or bank and it also has a little cutting board with a clip that fits on the top.

Hopefully this can give you a fairly good idea on what to take with you. Theres a few other things I like to have such as a cast net, pinfish trap, and some decent clothing to wade in. As far as shoes aqua socks or the more costly ray guards. Though If you cant get a pair of those just don't forget to shuffle your feet.

This all works great for me wither I'm wading the surf or bay.

Austin~

Last edited by Snook177; 07/21/12 07:40 AM.
Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7788272 07/21/12 12:54 PM
B
bill oxner Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
This thread should be added to your favorites bar. Snook, please don't delete the pictures from your photobucket album.

[Linked Image]

The birds and the guides follow mr out
Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7788684 07/21/12 04:35 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
+1,000

It answers lots of questions that any beginner saltwater angler will have.

This thread should be made into a sticky IMO.

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7788738 07/21/12 04:58 PM
S
SnK1993 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Yeah I don't know whats going on with the pictures. How can I make them to were they open when you click them in the little box?

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7789006 07/21/12 06:46 PM
G
Galveston340 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Snook177
Yeah I don't know whats going on with the pictures. How can I make them to were they open when you click them in the little box?

.....Snook177, shot you a PM.

...so good it tastes like it died screaming!
Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7789038 07/21/12 06:59 PM
24x7Fisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Great, thanks for sharing. Where are the pictures?

I see lots of saltwater newcomers asking for basic advice on what to take with them down to the coast. I love this question so I figured I post this for you newcomers to read over and get a good idea. I'm not avid saltwater angler but I do go down to Galveston during the summer and sometimes make a few weekend trips to Sargent/Matagorda.

Okay so first lets talk rod and reels. One of the first things we like to think is that we need to go buy a few of those cheapie surf rods at academy..No! Your freshwater gear can do just fine. Just make sure you rinse them down with freshwater after you use them even if you don't plan on wade fishing. My rod and reels I take are ones that I use on a regular basis at home in the lake for big cats, hybrids and sand bass.

These are the two I'll take with me for a weeks worth of fishing in the bay or surf. I like to have a fairly stiff 6 1/2' baitcaster setup for throwing different kinds of artificials and popping corks. the rod and reel I use here is a custom Allstar graphite rod with an Ambassador 5000 by Abu Garcia. All in all it makes for an easy to use workhorse setup and its really light witch makes all the difference when wading for long hours like I tend to do. Next is the spinning reel setup. In my book this is the best option to have for fishing live/natural bait on a multitude of bottom rigs (My favorite being the Carolina rig) The setup I use here is a 7 foot Ugly stick intercoastal series rod (the only ugly stick I've ever liked) and a Penn fierce series reel. As for line I use mostly 10-12lb mono. Sometimes 14lb on the bait caster. Now if you want to specifically target big sharks then you're opening a whole new can of goodies..I dont fish for big sharks so I cant tell you what you need. These two lighter setups can give you the most fight out of the smaller fish but can handle big ones just fine. You just gotta hold on a little harder sometimes. (: The Red shown in my signature was caught on a smaller spinning combo then the one I showed you.

Now lets talk tackle. Leave the bulky tackle box at home..Get a nice plano box or two (the water proof ones if you can afford it). Here's my little arsenal..

Soo..The top image is obviously just some soft plastics and a few hard baits. If anything just to have some artificial baits on you get a gold spoon, topwater(super spook jr, mirror lure or whatever) in case you have some really calm water. And maybe a few paddle tail soft plastics like a TTF Red killer.

The second little box is for some terminal tackle. I like to have some sort of pyramid/surf sinker, some egg sinkers( 3/4-1 ounce) swivels, coast locks and beads for making my own rigs and jig heads and hooks of course. I use circle and croaker hooks. size 3/0 seems to be my favorite. The bottom picture is just some popping corks and bottom rigs I've made. In the box is stuff I use to make the leaders. 30lb fluro and some Triline big game 60lb mono. I never had a toothy fish bite off my line. Even small sharks though I'm not saying it wont happen because it will. Try and stay away from that ugly wire leader unless your target species requires it.

Yes there's a random bag of fish bites in there..never know if all else is fails. Lol..

Okay last thing..Just some things I'd recommend having.

Defiantly try to get a wading belt..It makes things so much better. Mine was 49.99 at Gander Mtn. This will allow you to keep some handy things on you and secured. Like some extra baits hooks etc..Good pair of pliers a rod holder for when you're trying to safely get your catch off the hook. They come with long stringer but when I'm by myself wading I'm strictly a Catch and release guy. So I like to rig up a floating bait bucket with that stringer rope and float. Now that big blue oval thing is one of the best 60 bucks I've spent at academy. Its a multipurpose aerated bait tank/cooler for fish or drinks. Its great for the pier or bank and it also has a little cutting board with a clip that fits on the top.

Hopefully this can give you a fairly good idea on what to take with you. Theres a few other things I like to have such as a cast net, pinfish trap, and some decent clothing to wade in. As far as shoes aqua socks or the more costly ray guards. Though If you cant get a pair of those just don't forget to shuffle your feet.

This all works great for me wither I'm wading the surf or bay.

Austin~

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7790896 07/22/12 04:46 AM
S
SnK1993 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
the pictures seem to be working now! Let me know if you cant see them and I'll take care of it.

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7794203 07/23/12 05:07 AM
B
beastyfishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Is this only when you use a boat? could i use all that if i were to fish a pier or bank?

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7794600 07/23/12 01:18 PM
S
SnK1993 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Yes! I don't own a boat so I strictly wade fish/bank fish.

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7794643 07/23/12 01:33 PM
B
Blueshoes2208 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Yes! I don't own a boat so I strictly wade fish/bank fish.

that sure is a pretty red!

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7800402 07/24/12 10:16 PM
B
beastyfishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
another question. With a popping cork should i use a jig head with it? I'm going to use gulp alive. and also i have a spinning reel sahara 4000 how much braid should i put on it and if get the power pro 150 yes should i use it all? would 20lb or 30lb braid be good for redfish trout flounder? sorry for so many questions.

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7801742 07/25/12 04:02 AM
S
SnK1993 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Yes jig head will work. I'd say 40lb braid and just fill er up as best as you can.

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7801762 07/25/12 04:18 AM
B
beastyfishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
what weight the jighead?

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7801769 07/25/12 04:21 AM
S
SnK1993 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Uhm what baits do you plan to use?

Re: For all of you new to the salt (Pic heavy) [Re: SnK1993] #7801774 07/25/12 04:25 AM
B
Bluwave Mike Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Yes jig head will work. I'd say 40lb braid and just fill er up as best as you can.

Great post. Funny that blue bait tank from Academy we got one a few weeks ago and now have that same rip in the top but its a good bait tank.

40 lb eeks What you catching out there. 20 lb is fine need the drag set light for reds and trout or you can rip the hook out of them.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide