Print Thread
Terrible Casting Practice...SSST#7 4.05.12 #7380560 04/06/12 02:39 AM
T
Txredraider Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
The Small Person Who Lives at My House has been practicing every night in the back yard with the spinning outfit that I rigged up for her. She has really impressed me with how she has picked up casting. Don't look at me like that, she's five and there is no way we would both survive me trying to teach her to handle a whippy stick.

Because she's been doing a lot of casting, she got the wild idea that she should get to go fishing. Arrangements were made to visit Super Secret Stock Tank #7 this evening.

I had visions of some quality father-daughter bonding time and that worked out for the first ten minutes or so. At that point my father in law showed up and, as fathers in law are wont to do, took over the small person.

That left me with no one to supervise but myself and...hey how did this fly rod get in my hand? I decided to fiddle with my T-17 sinking shooting head to see if I could improve my casting with it.

That all went according to plan until this silly fish hooked itself in the middle of my casting practice. I mean, really!

I was starting to do slightly better with casting that monstrosity, not stepping on the line so often, less whooshing noises from the rod, fewer curses thrown about, when it happened again.

I thought maybe moving to a different spot to get away from this rude intrusion on my introspection would solve the problem. Nope.

About that time, the Small Person and her grandfather caught this fish using black magic, a Rebel grasshopper crankbait, and Powerbait. The unholy trinity of conventional fishing evil yielded this little jewel.

They decided to retire for the evening, but before they could make it out the gate, yet another green, scaly hoodlum attacked me. He was smaller and I don't have room in this post for his picture.

Finally, in desperation, I decided to take the cause of all my issues off of my line: the Upside Down Frog. How foolish of me to throw it into waters infested by this gang of piscatorial ruffians. Time and time again we have seen the results of such careless behavior.

After this epiphany I tied on that hideous orange and chartreuse Hells Bay Hopper that I tied last year. Certainly nothing would strike such a horribly tied foam charade. Wrong.

I took another mug shot so as to be able to identify this miscreant.

Finally, I cut the bug from the end of my line so that I could cast in peace, uninterrupted by these inconsiderate fish. Thus, my evening ended in a much more tranquil manner.

So, in short, if you want to get in some faux fly flinging without having to unhook fish after fish, stay in the backyard. My thumb is sore. smile

"The best trips are not planned."
Written here, and used by permission of, SBridgess.
Re: Terrible Casting Practice...SSST#7 4.05.12 [Re: Txredraider] #7380768 04/06/12 03:23 AM
S
scooter aggie Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Pesky bastages! I am having strange urges to tie some upside down flies......

Originally Posted by Txredraider
Let us hope that the bass do not find the equivalent of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.
Re: Terrible Casting Practice...SSST#7 4.05.12 [Re: Txredraider] #7381370 04/06/12 11:35 AM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It's getting to where a man can't even practice casting in peace anymore. But looking at that neighborhood you ought to have known better, really you should...

Wonderful images and imagery!

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Terrible Casting Practice...SSST#7 4.05.12 [Re: Txredraider] #7381445 04/06/12 12:23 PM
R
Retired Guy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
To cool....

thumb

Tired and Retired. E Troop 1st. Air Cav.
Re: Terrible Casting Practice...SSST#7 4.05.12 [Re: Txredraider] #7381743 04/06/12 02:06 PM
T
Txredraider Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Thank you, gents. It was big fun on the bayou, so to speak. I was pretty proud that I did all that on sinking line. There really may be something to this whole subsurface culture we keep hearing about.

That last bass hit so close to the bank that I really didn't get to enjoy it like I would have preferred, but that's how it goes. I'd like to puff up my chest and say that this was all due to the Upside Down Frog and my lethal fishing techniques, but I think they were just in the mood to eat. I need to tie a more dense version of the white UDF so it will swim "up" better on sinking line.

I do think the UDF allowed me to spend more time fishing and less time pruning vegetation off of my bugs. That last picture at dusk really illustrates the kind of jungle I was dragging the UDF through. Just the kind of place you want to throw a big, tasty bug.
The really cool thing is how great these bass look. It amazes me to no end that the green, fetid puddle this stock tank turned into last year allowed these fish to survive. Nature is tough.

Go fishin'! The fish missed you last year. smile

Re: Terrible Casting Practice...SSST#7 4.05.12 [Re: Txredraider] #7388895 04/08/12 11:38 PM
W
WLY Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Enjoyable read ans nice pics.

Lee Yeager
Red River Fly Fishers

God does not count against us the days we spend fishing
Re: Terrible Casting Practice...SSST#7 4.05.12 [Re: Txredraider] #7388988 04/09/12 12:07 AM
T
Txredraider Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Thanks, Lee, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide