Print Thread
Ray Roberts #735972 07/22/02 03:45 AM
B
bkchare Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Took a friend to Ray Roberts 7/20 (Saturday). The largemouths seemed to be slow. No topwater action at all. Started in Chapparal and worked the shallow hydrilla. Did catch one (1lb) and lost at least two more on small flukes fished weightless (light spinning tackle). Headed to Culp Island cove and were diverted to the HUGE sand bass schools by the dam. For about an hour, we were catching them almost every cast. We kept 20 over limit fish, and threw back at least 4 times that at 10" or less. After that, tried to fish largemouths again, but the heat got to us and we left at 11:30.

I do have something I think we should keep in mind when we fish Ray Roberts. The white bass schools we got into were tremendous. As far as you could see in any direction they were surfacing. I really don't want this lake to be overrun with white bass like Richland Chambers or other lakes that started as good largemouth lakes and went downhill because of the whites, hybrids, and stripers. Let's take more of the whites out of Ray Roberts when we can. I know I will be bringing home more. If you don't eat them, give them to a friend who will. It doesn't take much to filet them. I just don't want to see these voracious feeders to edge out the largemouths. Any thoughts on this?

Re: Ray Roberts #735973 07/22/02 04:04 AM
J
JTMAN Offline
Angler
Angler
J
BK,

We did the same thing last nite. My father and I were running buzzbaits around the Culp island and were also diverted by the acres and acres of sandies between the island and the dam. The fish were big for this time of year. We were bass fishing, but since my father and I don't get out much, we fished for sandies and loaded the boat in about 30 minutes. It was a hoot and we had a great time. I was hoping that some of those bass in that area would be schooling with them as they have in the past, but they weren't dang it, but it was fun, fun, fun. E-mail me sometime if you want to go to Ray Bob. I'm always looking for someone to go. I live about 15 minutes from the water and would enjoy the company.

JT

"Some were born to listen, some were born to play"

Re: Ray Roberts #735974 07/22/02 04:13 AM
J
JTMAN Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Hey BK,

Come to think of it, we were out there Sat. nite too around Culp Island around 7:30 and there were two other boats around us. Did you see a blue Ranger with a little boy running around in it with a red hat on? If so, that was us. E-mail me sometime.

JT

Re: Ray Roberts #735975 07/22/02 04:15 AM
J
JTMAN Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Nevermind, BK,

I re-read your first post and it says you were out in the AM. DUH! Anyway, those sandies were still haning around there in the PM.

JT

Re: Ray Roberts #735976 07/22/02 10:38 AM
redfin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
White bass are more open water fish than largemouth, so I think your worry about one specie overcoming another isn't well founded. White bass eat shad. Largemouths eat crawfish, perch, insects. Yes, they also eat some shad but it's not their primary food source.

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: Ray Roberts #735977 07/22/02 01:23 PM
B
bkchare Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
I do disagree with the statement that bass don't eat much shad. I think what they eat is the predominant forage on the lake, which varies from lake to lake. Thus the reason why flukes work so well on Ray Roberts as well as spinnerbaits and other shad immitators.

The most obvious of evidence that whites can overrun a lake close by is Richland Chambers. Years ago, it was a great largemouth fishery, and now the predominant species are white and hybrids.

I just know that Ray Roberts right now is a great all-around lake (crappie, whites, and largemouths), and I would like it to stay that way.

Re: Ray Roberts #735978 07/22/02 07:35 PM
W
WhopaCatchr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
You might also think about keeping your limit of under 14 inch largemouth as well. You can over populate the lake with those smaller bass if no one keeps them.

Re: Ray Roberts #735979 07/22/02 08:43 PM
Gone Fishin' Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Just a thought or two on the comment about Richland Chambers being only a White Bass/Hybrid Lake. It truly is an awesome White Bass Lake, but it doesn't compare to others (Cedar Creek, Whitney, Tawakoni, etc. when it comes to Hybrids. At least that's what others tell me.

It is a GREAT Crappie Lake. We had a really good Spring this year and caught some BIG fish during the Spawn. I'm about to start the late Summer/Fall Brushpile fishing for Crappie and I expect it to be very good.

While I don't do a tremendous amount of catfishing, the people that do will usually tell you it rates right up there with the best Lakes. Especially Big Blues! You should see some of the fish that come out of there on Juglines!

I do know the Tournament Bass Fishermen complain about the difficulty on RC. There was a stocking last year, and another this year, so hopefully we'll have better Largemouth fishing in the next few years.

I believe the Shad population on RC is also as good as I've seen on any Texas Lake, and I've fished quite a few of them.

I believe the difficulty some folks have on RC is that it's just so large (45,000 acres and the 3rd largest inland Lake in Texas). Unless you're on the Lake quite a bit, it's hard to consistently catch fish. It's discouraging to have so much water and so little time. My recommendation is to zero in on a section of the Lake and learn it well before moving from Creek to Creek, Bank to Bank, and all points in between.

I don't think the White Bass can ruin a Lake, but I could be wrong. I do know we used to catch some awesome Crappie and Whites on Texoma before the Stripers took over.

Have a good day!

Royce Simmons www.richlandchamberslake.org/misc/simmons.htm

Thanks,
Royce & Adam Simmons
Gone Fishin' Guide Service
www.gonefishin.biz

[Linked Image]
Re: Ray Roberts #735980 07/23/02 03:23 AM
C
coop Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
going to the lake this week, in the afternoon. we usually put in at Jordan. where can we find the sandies? been to the lake several times, but still don't have a good feel for the lake. the big lake throws me thus far. Is this the best place to put in? any suggestions would be appreciated

Re: Ray Roberts #735981 07/23/02 01:09 PM
Gone Fishin' Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
For the afternoon trip, I'd put in at Fisherman's Point Marina on the far south end of the lake, and then cruise the south shoreline from the Tarrant Regional Water Office (Windsock Point) all the way up to where the Richland Creek comes into the lower Lake. If by chance you don't find a school on the south shoreline, go straight across to the 309 Flats.

Royce Simmons www.richlandchamberslake.org/misc/simmons.htm

The afternoon schooling sometimes starts as late as 6 PM so don't get discouraged if you don't find some action right away.

Thanks,
Royce & Adam Simmons
Gone Fishin' Guide Service
www.gonefishin.biz

[Linked Image]
Re: Ray Roberts #735982 07/23/02 01:13 PM
B
bkchare Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Thanks Gone Fishin' for more insight. You are right about RC being big. I guess lakes go through cycles, too.

As far as where the whites were from Jordan, take a left immediately once you get out from the ramp, and head for the dam. We were catching them in open water (60' deep) about 1/2 way between the dam and the main lake point. I'll be there Thursday myself looking for them too. I'm not sure how long they will be there, but there are plenty of points and humps around the main lake area to check as well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide