Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor #7112844 01/31/12 12:12 PM
W
Wylie Crappieman Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
W
I am looking at putting me a boat together and want some opinion. I know which way I am leaning, but could use some input before I spend the cash. I've been on other people's boat and have found the foot control to be like riding a bull and a beating. However, I'm not convinced that was the best situation either. The boat is a tracker tx17 with a 70hp. It's older, but been stored correctly. I'll be replacing the TM and electronics. Soooo.. input please.

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7112862 01/31/12 12:24 PM
T
Tony Clark @ Lake Fork Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Foot control for me,great for fishing bridge pylons & docks!

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2505/oomv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/image]903 243-6905 Phone or Text, FaceBook:Tony Clark Lake Fork/ http://www.lakeforkbasstrips.com Bass Cat Boats/Mercury

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7112923 01/31/12 12:46 PM
W
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
W
Thanks, Tony.. As someone I have admired for a long time, I respect your opinion. Any others? Is there a dual type system where it is not only foot controlled, but optionally hand controlled for quick adjustment?

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Tony Clark @ Lake Fork] #7112947 01/31/12 12:55 PM
C
Creamlevel Creek Kennels Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I also am a Foot Contol Fan. I always have pleny of things for my hands to be doing. A foot control requires some learning, but once you have spent some time learning to control your boat, you can be very SMOOTH with it's operation. Like you I bought an older Tracker, that had the foot control, so I have had to learn what was there. At first I was all over a Brush Pile, not being able to hold steady over the pile. Fishing Timber, I was ALWAYS crashing into the tree we were trying to fish. Don't catch to many fish that way.

But, after owning my boat for 1 year now, I can hover over a Brush Pile with the ability to vertically fish, without hanging up, ease up to Timber and never touch the tree, but remain close enough fish right down the tree.

I guess it is ALL about learning to CONTOL your boat with whatever Trolling Motor you have. Seens that it would be more difficult to hover over Brush Piles with a Hand Operated Trolling Motor. Requires 2 hands to fish for Crappie, and I don't have a spare on to operate trolling motor.

keith

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Creamlevel Creek Kennels] #7113020 01/31/12 01:24 PM
P
pepop Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
I too am a foot control guy but I have heard several reports that "No Hands/No Feet" is the way to go. I-Piolt if you can afford it, allows you to "dial in" a spot via gps coords and the TM is supposed to "lock" on to that spot. As I said, I've heard several reports and not all good but the positive comments are in the majority. My 2cents

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113031 01/31/12 01:28 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I've had both more of the foot control than the hand.15 yrs with the foot and a whole lot less with the hand. Everything has pros and cons. Quick response to turns and emergency, the foot control out performs, when the need to slow down quick the hand control. As has been stated above boat control via tm can b nothing more than u. I have a hard time bending over to change speeds on the foot control and unless the foot control itself is n the floor of the boat it seems to b one more thing n the way up front. Just my .02 worth.

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113054 01/31/12 01:37 PM
B
big10 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I have used both and dont think I will ever go back to a hand control again. Like creamlevel said, I need 2 hands for crappie fishing. It was a major pain to try to fish a brush pile, timber, or a bridge. Every time I had to do something in the boat such as put a crappie nibble on my jig, take a fish off the hook, or re-tie I found myself getting blown off the brushpile. Basicly I found the only way to fish was to ease up onto the pile, make a drop with the jig when I was over it, and hope you get bit quick. People fishing with me got frustrated because if I got bit before them we would blow off the pile while I was unhooking the fish and re-tipping my jig while they were left floating in open water. Also when I had the hand controlled I never fished with minnows. I felt it would be even more of a pain to try to keep my hook baited while operating a hand controlled trolling motor. Just my 2cents

Jerry Dillard
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113066 01/31/12 01:41 PM
W
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
W
Can it be done both ways? I think Ernests is hand controled as far as direction but button controlled for power?

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113069 01/31/12 01:43 PM
F
Fillet O' Crappie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
There are many advantages to a foot controlled one. That being said, I find it easier to use a hand controlled one. I like standing up to fish and find it easier to do with my hand controlled one. When I owned a foot one, I caught myself sitting down way too often.

And yes, you can have a little of both. I have a big foot button on my hand controlled. I just bump the direction I want to head to on the head and then hit the button with my foot to get where I need to go. Staying on brush piles is easy enough too and I really don't have my hands on my trolling motor much. I just bump it occasionally to redirect it.

Last edited by Fillet O' Crappie; 01/31/12 01:54 PM.

www.PlanoFloweramaFlorist.com
Phone: (972)398-6404
Email: info@planoflowerama.com
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113181 01/31/12 02:21 PM
C
craigo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Wylie, always enjoy your posts. I use a wireless foot controlled pedal and I love it. Truth is, it's the only one I've ever used (first boat). It was awkward at first, but once I got used to it I love it. I think it's all a matter of getting used to whatever you use. SOme foot guys will swear that's best... some hand guys will swear that's the best. Pros and cons for each, I suppose. Good luck out there...

I don't live for the thump, but I sure do like it.
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113192 01/31/12 02:25 PM
W
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
W
Thanks Craig.. I haven't had a boat in years, but having some knee problems it looks like I have to make a move. I think I will go with the foot controlled for most of the reasons mentioned above. Just wanted to get some input from guys who have been at it. I want to get it right the 1st time.

Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113297 01/31/12 02:51 PM
B
Brent's Dad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
For me it depends upon your style of fishing. If you sit when fishing, I would recommend a foot control unit. I like standing since it gives me more flexibility and better site of view. Hand control eliminates cable breakage that can become a factor on foot control units. On hand control units, I control on and off power via a dimmer switch. You can mount the dimmer swith permanent or on a board that allows you to move it to a desired location. As I get older (61 now), I am finding it more difficult to stand for a full day of fishing and my balance is not as good as it was years prior. Over time I can see myself having to go to a foot control unit. For now I will continue to use a hand unit, until I move to sitting and a foot unit.

(Crappie Jigging)
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113313 01/31/12 02:56 PM
B
Bud B Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
This is one of those unending debates. I've always preferred a foot control, and never understood, while watching people swat at a hand control while they're trying to fish. My .02.

Bud Baker
Gun Barrel City, Tx

[Linked Image]
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113374 01/31/12 03:09 PM
L
leanin post Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
The foot control cable driven is very good,, it will feel like learning to walk again the first couple times you use it, until your brain makes that connection with your foot, but once it does, you wont even think abt it, it will almost be like auto-p ilot, even though you are controlling it, and making constant turns with your foot, and bumping the power button. after some time with it, you will be able to work the boat around timber or bridge pilings almost effortlessly. Its pretty amazing. I like the cable drive, because even though some are " wireless" there is still a large pigtail wire on the motor that seems to be constantly getting tangled up, and twisting,... the cable drive wont go past a 360 degree turn, so no worries abt a wire being yanked out of the trolling motor. cable drive is also instant response, the wireless have a little delay, and cable drive has ALOT less stuff that can go wrong. Try a minn kota maxxum in the 70 to 80 lb thrust range, tough , simple, powerful, dependable.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Foot controlled or hand controlled trolling motor [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #7113387 01/31/12 03:12 PM
B
Buzzard Breath Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
remote control, fish from anywhere in the boat.

DON'T LITTER!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide