Print Thread
Waves on the bottom #679679 08/07/02 04:26 PM
B
BigD Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
I looked at an old Tracker that has waves in the aluminum on the bottom of the hull. The owner claims it does not leak, but I am skeptical. The price is right, but if the boat leaks it would probably be a big hassle to fix. Anyone have these waves on the hull of their Tracker? It’s a 1997 model. My primary use is pond fishing, on occasion the lake.
The price is 1800.00 with a 40 horse Merc and crappy troll.

Thanks
D
Re: Waves on the bottom #679680 08/07/02 04:40 PM
L
Lynyrd Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
The engine alone is worth that much, if it is in running condition. The waves on the bottom should not cause it to leak, it may cause it to run a little slower on top end, because of the turbulence that would be caused by the waves. Tell the guy you want to make sure it does not leak before you hand over the dough, say a one week trial period.

[This message has been edited by Lynyrd (edited 08-07-2002).]

Re: Waves on the bottom #679681 08/07/02 04:45 PM
T
TX Champ Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I wouldn't ever buy a boat without a test ride to make sure the motor starts and runs good under load. That also gives you the chance to check out the electronics, trolling motor, live wells, hull leaks, etc. Be sure & get him to pull the gear case plug enough to make sure there's no water in the lube and run a compression check. All cylinders should be +/- 10%. Look for carbon scoring of the cylinder walls when you pull the plugs for the compression check. If you can't do this, find you a mechanic that'll do it for you. May cost you a few bucks, but better than getting a good deal that turns out to be not such a good deal in short order.

Good Luck!!

Re: Waves on the bottom #679682 08/07/02 11:15 PM
W
Wiley Coyote Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
The ripples in the aluminum are from the panels not being properly supported by the ribs or other frame members over a long period of time... or having a collapsed frame member. Early trackers are NOT noted for their strength just for their low initial cost. Like Lynrrd said the engine is well worth the cost being asked IF the engine passes all the tests that a good mechanic will give it. Spend the money to have it checked out. Ask the mechanic to look for evidence of transom or frame damage... could have even come from the poor support by the trailer and running the rig over some rough roads for long periods of time so be sure to look UNDER THE TRAILER AT THE SPRINGS AND JOINTS for evidence of the trailer flexing... bright shiny spots or cracks where they are not s'psed to be tires worn correctly without dips or evidence of a badly bent axle caused by hitting a high curb at hwy speeds (BTDT !! caused stress cracks in my cap where it joined the transom on an old 16' ProCraft when the transom flexed with the weight of a 6 cylnder Merc even with a transom saver ... probably did save my transom!)anything out of place... Good Luck
Ron

[This message has been edited by Wiley Coyote (edited 08-07-2002).]

Older Than Dirt...and trying To STAY That Way
Re: Waves on the bottom #679683 08/08/02 02:53 AM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Sunday evening, my neighbor rang my doorbell and asked if I would help him take a look at his boat. It is a 17.5' 99 model Tracker. Really a nice boat, but it has developed a leak on the keel. The night before while fishing he noticed he was taking on some water. So Sunday he filled it with water in his driveway and we could see the water leaking out of the keel. There are two aluminum "V" channels riveted through the hull. One on the inside and one on the outside. There were some minor dings in the keel from wear and tear but nothing major. Anyway, it was leaking at a fairly good rate and we determined it must be a loose rivet. He is taking it back to Bass Pro today to have it repaired. They said it is still under warranty. I don't know the length of the warranty and I was wondering how common it is to have rivets leak on the Trackers. If you were seriously considering buying one, I'd fill it with water and check to see if it leaks first. Good luck, Bob.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Waves on the bottom #679684 08/08/02 10:17 PM
R
RYANSDAD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
If they are riveted...they will leak eventually. I have a 92 TX17 w/60 Rude, wave bottom and a good bilge pump. Fish alot and never worry about it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide