Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! #6793176 10/31/11 05:43 PM
bpharris Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
TFF - I need ya'lls help. I started fly fishing back in March when Bass Pro has their White River intro combo on sale for $49. I picked up the 8 wt combo and haven't really fished with any of my baitcasters since then! I'm completely hooked on fly fishing!!!

Well, I'm ready to upgrade and my B'Day is in about 3 weeks. My wife is gonna by me a new fly rod and reel. I went to Bass Pro the other day and looked at the TFO TiCRx rod in a 6wt. But, it really seemed to lack strength at the tip. The guy suggested that I look real hard at the BVK's.

I mostly bass fish. But, I also hit Texoma and the coast a couple times each year. I'm leaning towards a 6wt.

Needs suggestions on rod's and reels. If Sage's didn't cost $700 a pop, I'd get one. But, that's out of my budget...

"If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading it in english, thank a Marine."

Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: bpharris] #6793188 10/31/11 05:46 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You gonna stick with eight weight? The BVKs are indeed fine rods. There are plenty of fine rigs in most all price ranges. I just know that the BVKs are good ones from having had some experience with them.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: bpharris] #6794712 11/01/11 12:45 AM
W
wwest Offline
Angler
Angler
W
As for rod for the dollar, I like the TFO professional series and the Echo ION. Both under $200 and both fine rods. I fish with both. However, I got the ION in a 8wt. 10' - extra length is nice for yak and deeper wading. Note - the ION comes WITH the rod case. That said, I would definitely recommend an 8wt to cover the variety of conditions and fly sizes you will be tossing. Good luck! cool

In this life there is fly fishing and tying...and then there is all that other stuff in between that doesn't matter.

Will
Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: bpharris] #6795030 11/01/11 01:54 AM
Jacob m Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I have a 5wt ticr x and have caught some nice bass on it just purchased an 8wt I was so pleased I just ordered a sink tip line to overline it and hoping it will launch a fly like the 5wt but you can get a really good deal from cabelas and if you buy a cabelas reel with a decent rod remember that they are actually lamson reels with cabelas logos I have a few off them and there higher end rods in lower weights are really nice too.

Fishing is one thing i can't agree on but catching would be more of what i do.
Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: bpharris] #6795557 11/01/11 03:37 AM
J
Just Fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I have a new SAGE Flight 8wt eith a new Ross CLA5 reel on it plus line and backing for sale for $550.00 if interested. Never been used.

Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: bpharris] #6795630 11/01/11 04:10 AM
S
scooter aggie Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I am a big fan of the Lamson reels if you decide to go the new direction. The bvk is a damn fine rod, at least in 5wt it is.

Originally Posted by Txredraider
Let us hope that the bass do not find the equivalent of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.
Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: scooter aggie] #6796286 11/01/11 01:42 PM
bpharris Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I don't think I'm going to go with the 8 wt on this set-up. I'm really kinda leaning towards a 6 wt.

I looking hard at the TFO BVK in a 6 wt with the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reel.

Keep the comments and suggestions coming!!! I'm still very new to fly fishing and need all of the comments and suggestions that I can get.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading it in english, thank a Marine."

Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: bpharris] #6796515 11/01/11 02:42 PM
S
sexycarpenter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
If you are talking coastal fishing and some bigger fish and you want a rod with some backbone I would forgoe the BVK and get a TFO Axiom. If you are fishing coastal winds or North Texas winds for that matter this rod is the one for you. I have an 8wt overlined to a 9 WF bass line and a seperate reel with class V full sink line and this rod begs to be cast. The more line the better and it handles all the line and all the fish you can throw at it. Like the website says it truly is a launch pad for rocket casts. I hear the minimag is great as well, but its shorter stature keeps it in a niche category for me.

Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: bpharris] #6796567 11/01/11 02:57 PM
D
David Cole Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
The Axiom is going to be hard to cast for someone without a lot of experience...just too stiff. I'd stick with the BVK.

As for reels, a Lamson, either a Konic or Guru will serve you for a long long time. The Konic series is priced as is the Battenkill and the Lamson drag is much stronger than the old style Disc drag that Orvis uses.

Line? I'm partial to Rio Gold, but SA GPX Mastery is a good one. Come out to the store and we can show you most of the options...except the Orvis reel. We can put together a Combo deal where the line and backing are free. You won't get that with Orvis/TFO... banana Orvis makes good stuff (and I've owned and fished it), but in my opinion, it is over priced when compared to comparable Ross or Lamson reels.

Last edited by David Cole; 11/01/11 03:01 PM.

David
Trout Unlimited Life Time Member
Lake O.H. Ivie Fly Fishing Body of Water Record Holder for Blue Catfish (2.21) and Largemouth Bass (1.62)
Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: sexycarpenter] #6796613 11/01/11 03:12 PM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: sexycarpenter
If you are talking coastal fishing and some bigger fish and you want a rod with some backbone I would forgoe the BVK and get a TFO Axiom. If you are fishing coastal winds or North Texas winds for that matter this rod is the one for you. I have an 8wt overlined to a 9 WF bass line and a seperate reel with class V full sink line and this rod begs to be cast. The more line the better and it handles all the line and all the fish you can throw at it. Like the website says it truly is a launch pad for rocket casts. I hear the minimag is great as well, but its shorter stature keeps it in a niche category for me.

I agree for coastal waters with a lot of wind - The Axiom is hard to beat - it a cannon.

I differ with David tho - Axiom and BVK very similar for my load and shoot casting style - the BIG difference is in very apparent weight differece.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds.
Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: bpharris] #6796652 11/01/11 03:23 PM
M
mbhill Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I agree with Sexycarpenter on the Axiom, I have it in a 6wt that I use for bass, light saltwater and slinging big streamers for trout and it is a beast but it can be tamed with a little instruction and practice. As far as line, the GPX series or if you are going to stay "bass" you might look at the Bass Taper as well.
If you will come out to BP Grapevine on a Saturday morning at 10 and take my casting class we can go over your options and discuss them as well.

Mike Hill
FFF-CCI
Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: David Cole] #6797031 11/01/11 05:12 PM
S
sexycarpenter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: David Cole
The Axiom is going to be hard to cast for someone without a lot of experience...just too stiff. I'd stick with the BVK.

I'm just going with the info he provided. He tried the TiCriX and the tip wasn't stiff enough. I think he would be very pleased with the Axiom.

Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: sexycarpenter] #6797068 11/01/11 05:20 PM
S
sexycarpenter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Take Mike up on his BP Grapevine offer

Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: bpharris] #6798017 11/01/11 09:15 PM
P
pavsky Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I'll throw the TFO Mini-Mag hat into the ring...

I have the 8-foot, 6-8 weight with Sage 290 grain Bass Series line. Casting it takes some getting used to, but when you do...it shoots like a dream. Way further than I can cast with any other of my rods. I am no casting pro and it did not take me long. The super weight forward Sage Bass line punches those big bass flies through any wind.

The stripping guide is extra large. I find that this offers forgiveness to a guy that does not have the best control when shooting the line.

Re: Need Recommendation for New Fly Rod/Reel!!!! [Re: sexycarpenter] #6798271 11/01/11 10:24 PM
bpharris Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I'm not 100% sure, but i think that Mike was the one who put the backing and line on the combo that I bought this past spring.

Mike - as soon as my son is done with Saturday morning soccer games, I'm headed your way!!! I'm real curious to see if i can throw the Axiom. The rod that I have now is fairly stiff -a heck of a lot stiffer than that TiCRx rod that I looked at. So, I bet I'll be OK.

Assuming that I can narrow it down between the Axiom and the BVK, I just need to figure out which reel to get.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide