A
AdanV Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
Hey yall,

I have a question.

Does the very mouth of a river/bayou/creek that feeds into the sea is considered freshwater or saltwater? I would like to know the regulations.

Im getting pretty concerned when I pass by over the mouth of Brays Bayou that feeds into the Houston Ship Channel. I take my boy over in that area so his mother could have him for a day every other weekend. But each time I pass by, I'm seeing more and more cast-netters there. I'm thinking they're crabbing as well. I'm sure lots of them take home everything and never think about getting licenses (because they haven't been caught yet).

Re: Question [Re: AdanV] #6651532 09/20/11 05:55 AM
F
fishin redneck Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Page 31 of the TP&WL hand book show's the salt water boundary.
In most cases the entire county that borders the gulf is considered Salt water & you would need a salt water licence .

You can pick up a hand book anywhere they sell licence .

fish fish fish fish
Re: Question [Re: fishin redneck] #6655127 09/21/11 03:46 AM
J
jainoon Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Why would anyone assume that "Lots of them take home everything and never think about getting licenses(because they havent been caught yet)"Sounds to me like someone has serious issues.Are your issues with the fact that they may be crabbing or shrimping or just because they are fishing somewhere unfamiliar to you that seems to make it illegal?I really dont see what you are "GETTING PRETTY CONCERNED" about . Maybe I am missing something here.I would think that anywhere fisherman are that visible they would be wise to follow applicable laws.Dont you?

If I can get away from the Gulf I have a muley and an elk tag for colorado
Re: Question [Re: jainoon] #6655251 09/21/11 04:56 AM
A
AdanV Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: jainoon
Why would anyone assume that "Lots of them take home everything and never think about getting licenses(because they havent been caught yet)"Sounds to me like someone has serious issues.Are your issues with the fact that they may be crabbing or shrimping or just because they are fishing somewhere unfamiliar to you that seems to make it illegal?I really dont see what you are "GETTING PRETTY CONCERNED" about . Maybe I am missing something here.I would think that anywhere fisherman are that visible they would be wise to follow applicable laws.Dont you?

Thanks for the negative comment; I'm just going to let that slide off my back.

Seeing that you only been on TFF for a short while, Im guessing you haven't seen the many posts and topics on anglers that don't get their licenses and cast netters that illegally keep game fish. It happens way more often than most folks think.

Brays Bayou empties into the Houston Ship Channel in SE Houston (where I lived 28 of my 30 years). And in SE Houston, lots of things are done illegally and under the table (which is one of the reasons why I moved to Katy). So I'm familiar in the area and know that since its still in a heavily urban metropolitan area, TPWD will rarely patrol there (if they do at all). So I'm pretty concerned whether there is or isn't law enforcement.

Re: Question [Re: AdanV] #6655318 09/21/11 06:05 AM
J
jainoon Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Wasn't really trying to be negative.Sorry it came across that way. I guess I just haven't run into that many scofflaws where I fish.I tend to give the fishermen the benefit of the doubt.I can see where y'all have been having a problem down there so I agree your concern is warranted. I guess what I really was trying to say was simply "Is this really a problem as they could very well be law abiding citizens?" Tight Lines

If I can get away from the Gulf I have a muley and an elk tag for colorado
Re: Question [Re: AdanV] #6655814 09/21/11 02:02 PM
breambuster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: AdanV
[quote=jainoon]Why would anyone assume

So I'm familiar in the area and know that since its still in a heavily urban metropolitan area, TPWD will rarely patrol there (if they do at all). So I'm pretty concerned whether there is or isn't law enforcement.

And you are assuming with what you said above, just because you haven't seen any TPWD LE, doesn't mean they are not patrolling. You can always call Operation Game Thief 1-800-792-GAME(4263) if you believe someone IS committing a fish/game regulation violation.

Re: Question [Re: jainoon] #6656322 09/21/11 04:33 PM
A
AdanV Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: jainoon
Wasn't really trying to be negative.Sorry it came across that way. I guess I just haven't run into that many scofflaws where I fish.I tend to give the fishermen the benefit of the doubt.I can see where y'all have been having a problem down there so I agree your concern is warranted. I guess what I really was trying to say was simply "Is this really a problem as they could very well be law abiding citizens?" Tight Lines

No problem, all is good.

Yes, here in counties by the coastal counties there's much more unlicensed anglers than further inland. I remember last year I was at the Galveston south jetty. Some pretty lady that turned out to be a game warden popped up and started issuing tickets while walking down the jetty. I saw these 2 fellas freaking out and cutting off the lines to their crab traps in the hopes to hide them.

Re: Question [Re: breambuster] #6656432 09/21/11 04:58 PM
A
AdanV Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: breambuster
Originally Posted By: AdanV
[quote=jainoon]Why would anyone assume

So I'm familiar in the area and know that since its still in a heavily urban metropolitan area, TPWD will rarely patrol there (if they do at all). So I'm pretty concerned whether there is or isn't law enforcement.

And you are assuming with what you said above, just because you haven't seen any TPWD LE, doesn't mean they are not patrolling. You can always call Operation Game Thief 1-800-792-GAME(4263) if you believe someone IS committing a fish/game regulation violation.

Okay thanks

Re: Question [Re: AdanV] #6658039 09/22/11 12:51 AM
D
DaveRTX Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
TPWL has plain clothes wardens now? Cool!

Dave

Forget the net! Get the gaff!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide