texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,032
TexDawg 119,797
Bigbob_FTW 95,336
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,391
Mark Perry 72,491
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,921
Posts13,955,413
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Who's Fly-fishing from the bank around here? #6615819 09/10/11 01:48 PM
D
Don Morey Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
I've seen a few of you from the Kayak but is anyone FF from the bank? I ask because I would like to do some more FF this year and I'm still a beginner wanting to get better.

Re: Who's Fly-fishing from the bank around here? [Re: Don Morey] #6615920 09/10/11 02:26 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
I do it, and here is some advice.

Start someplace where it's easy to cast like a pond. Learn to roll cast before going to creeks.

Trees, branches, bushes, leaves ect are notorious for catching your flies.

Beadheads and wolly buggers are good flies and will get you a variety of fish. Poppers lot of fun too. (Cicada, hopper, bee pattern)

I like a 3wt or 4wt rod between 7-8ft long. When you hook into a 4lb largemouth, and u will at some point doing this, well all i can say is good luck!

Use light line. Been places where they won't touch 8lb line, but 4lb gets hit every cast once you change your leader.

my $.02 Hope it helps and good luck!

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: Who's Fly-fishing from the bank around here? [Re: Dfitz] #6615945 09/10/11 02:41 PM
R
Roofish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I do

CPHS TIMBERWOLVES 2012 4A DIV II TEXAS HS FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1ST EVER

NY YANKEES 27 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIPS

Re: Who's Fly-fishing from the bank around here? [Re: Don Morey] #6615973 09/10/11 03:01 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
I do most of my fly fishing from the bank. It's actually easier in many cases because you are standing up.

It's not much different, but there are a few things to keep in mind...

Learn how to roll cast. Many times when I'm fishing a creek or small pond the banks can be very overgrown. To the point where a back cast would be impossible. To further break it down into another category...rod choice. Most will say for overgrown areas you want a short rod (7' or less). I guess because less room. I actually prefer a longer rod. To me I can get much more leverage doing a roll cast with a longer rod (7'+) than with a short one. A foot or two on rod length does not make that big of a difference when you can actually back cast in a tight area, but it makes a huge difference for a roll cast.

Watch for line grabbing debris on the edge of the water your fishing. Those uncut weeds that usually line the first foot or two of dry bank can and will suck you line into it. Just make sure you keep your slack line by your feet and extend the tip beyond the shore debris (if you can) to minimize getting tangled in weeds. I have also learned to just roll up the slack line as I'm bringing in the fly around my fingers. This keeps the slack line off the ground entirely.

Another reason for a long rod is landing the fish. Again many times there will be weeds on the bank or thick moss around the edges. Most fish I catch I am able to pretty much just pick them up out of the water with my rod and swing them to the bank, avoiding most of the shoreline moss.

When fishing public parks and areas, always be conscience of what is behind you!!! I cant count how many times I have kids (or adults for that matter) literally walk up right behind meHows the fishing? or Caught anything? only to realize they were one back cast away from getting a hook in their head!! I have had families walk up behind me and I hear the mother say Lets watch and see if he catches anythingand they are 5 feet behind me! I usually just turn and look at them at tell them because how a fly rod is cast, it would be best it they did not stand so close. I do a couple of small dry cast to show themand then they usually get the hint and give me room.

Travel light as possible. On the bank, walking is the only way to cover some ground. To me, if I cant fit it in my pockets, I dont need it!

The flies as always are what you like the best. I use mainly bead head nymphs and wooly buggers. They can be worked in deep and shallow water. Many small ponds may get overgrown with surface moss, the best bet there is to try to throw poppers in the open water or drop a weighted fly into the openings, depending on how close the moss is to the surface even in the open areas.

Fly fishing the bank is one of the most enjoyable and versatile fishing styles I know of. No boat, gear (paddles, life vest ect.), or loading and unloading time. Just grab your rod (which I keep in my truck 24/7), something for hook removal and a few other small odds and ends and your fishing. You can spend hours at a time enjoying bank fishing, or just stop and fish for 30 minutes and continue about your way.

Jane says I've never been in love - no
She don't know what it is
She only knows if someone wants her
Re: Who's Fly-fishing from the bank around here? [Re: Dfitz] #6615995 09/10/11 03:13 PM
D
Don Morey Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Dfitz: Thanks for the 2cents I'll be needing a dollars worth soon I fear. Would the Sage Bluegill be overkill @ 6Wt? I don't want to break a rod on an accidental fish. Plus it looks cool and says bluegill even though I know it's 230 grain. I think I'm trying to justify it hmmm

Roofish: smile What are you using for equipment? Every time I see your feet on TFF you are in a kayak confused

Re: Who's Fly-fishing from the bank around here? [Re: Don Morey] #6616396 09/10/11 06:50 PM
R
Roofish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Well I use 5 wts predominately & yes My love for my WS Ride remains, however since I have 2 blownout knees & am wearing braces on both legs, my kayak has not seen any action, since Mar 1st to be exact....which really bums me out.

I'm not 1 to brag, but I know how to catch fish & am very limited from the bank, like anyone else, if you've never fished but from the bank you don't know what your missing.

Another words I have been fishing from the bank since Mar 1st & miss my kayak dearly, I hope someday to get back in it, these fish I caught from the bank for this contest is only the tip of the iceberg, compared to what I could do from my kayak. I have learned alot about fishing all my life (51) & especially since I got my kayak in 2008, I know how to find fish & I know how to catch them...however the kayak GREATLY improves the size & quality of the fish caught, if you have the right knowledge, tactics & technique & know how, when & where to apply it all

CPHS TIMBERWOLVES 2012 4A DIV II TEXAS HS FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1ST EVER

NY YANKEES 27 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIPS

Re: Who's Fly-fishing from the bank around here? [Re: Roofish] #6616424 09/10/11 07:02 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Yes sir, pretty much the only way I fish for bluegills. I like a 3wt and use mostly beadhead nymphs with rubber legs added..sometimes use poppers...and sometimes use both as a popper/dropper.

Re: Who's Fly-fishing from the bank around here? [Re: Meadowlark] #6617490 09/11/11 02:14 AM
K
Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
pm sent! I started with poppers and now make my own ugly bugs. These Texas fish seem not to care to much on what the fly looks like as long as it looks edible.
I have a $11 reel and an $40 rod (okuma) from academy 5 wt. I love my set up, use it for specks just as easy as I use it on the fresh water fish. My suggestion would be to use a good weight foreward floating line. Makes all the difference in the world as far as casting goes

Last edited by Aransas Hooligan; 09/11/11 02:18 AM.

" Used to Chase giant's on Lake Austin & Town Lake "

Re: Who's Fly-fishing from the bank around here? [Re: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan] #6618011 09/11/11 10:44 AM
D
Don Morey Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Thanks for all the information thumb thumb: It will all come in handy soon.

I stopped by Living Waters yesterday. I'll likely take up some of their fly tying classes. I don't think I'll be getting a rod or reel from there but they are a good local source for materials when I start tying.

I gave FF and FT a go in the past but it was more like a taste than drinking the whole bottle.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide