Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
How to/Best way? #660973 04/19/03 04:50 PM
redfinŽ Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Got a huge squirrel problem around my house. Last year they ate all my wife's potted outside plants down to a nubbin'. This year already they've chewed holes in the umbrella to the deck table and holes in the padded cushions on the patio chairs and pulled stuffing out of them.

Last year we tried some damn concoction of chili pepper, hot sauce and some kind of oil of whatchamacallit to spray on plants and furniture and stuff. These pesky Bas****s have taken me to my last straw and I've started plinking them one-by-one with the pellet gun. Killed 12 so far and there's probably that many more regrouping and probably asking for a volunteer to strap a stick of dynamite to and sacrifice himseld down one of my chimney's. That would make them "terrorist" squirrels, so would I be leagal in knocking these critters off if all else fails?

I do not want to live capture and transplant; too much trouble and they still breed. What's the law when it comes to defending your property against rodents that eat/chew other than what the trees are suppose to provide?

Thanks.

Make that 13...

14.....man, these 1000fps pellet guns are awesome at 25-yards!
------------------

[This message has been edited by redfin (edited 04-19-2003).]

[This message has been edited by redfin (edited 04-19-2003).]

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: How to/Best way? #660974 04/19/03 11:04 PM
D
Delrioross Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Redfin=

Think about Big Bait for Big Bass?

How about a 10/0 hook with one little critter kicking, screaming and struggling when you lash the tiny terrorist to the shank?
Or are we setting ourselves up for another PETA attack?

=ROSS=

Re: How to/Best way? #660975 04/20/03 12:37 AM
C
copenhagenabuser Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
For what it's worth( probably not much!)
I heard that Mepp's will buy the tails or take up fly tying in between squirrels

------------------
Raymond

Raymond
Re: How to/Best way? #660976 04/20/03 12:49 AM
redfinŽ Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Maybe 70-pound plus blues on a jug line?

"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: How to/Best way? #660977 04/20/03 02:09 AM
P
PROCRAFT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
You supply the beer,and I bet you could get several of us pellet gun slingers over there. Nothing better than a day of a bunch of outdoorsmen sitting around the backyard,drinking beer,and performing a little pest control.
There's not that many solutions for your problem. Hope somebody can help you out.

Good Luck
Vance

Re: How to/Best way? #660978 04/20/03 03:08 AM
M
molossusri Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Red try a dog called a Jack Russel Terrior promise to get rid of squirrels and raise blood pressure.

Re: How to/Best way? #660979 04/20/03 04:41 AM
RogueWave Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Hey Redfin,

Squirrel are technically a game animal.
Looks like you have at least a couple of windows of opportunity a year depending on what county you are in.
So, unless your city has some wierd air rifle ordinance, your in good shape.
I've got some great squirrel recipes for grey squirrel, but these old red squirrels aint fit to eat. Too hard to clean anyway.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/regs/2003/animal_listing/#squirrel

RW

Re: How to/Best way? #660980 04/20/03 09:46 PM
R
ralph Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Unfortunately, you are probably doing the only thing that will rid you of a squirrel problem. My only suggestion is to be sure you don't have any neighbors who like squirrels! Just don't advertise your methods unless you know all your neighbors and know them well. Some folks get upset with guns(of any kind) and shooting anything(including pests).Good luck.

Re: How to/Best way? #660981 04/20/03 10:14 PM
C
caseguru Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Redfin the pellet gun is your only answer unless you go with catch and release at another location and like you said,that is a bunch of work that is time comsumming and could cost a few dollars too. I had the same problem with these things. They will chew your house up and if they get in your attic they will destroy the wiring. Had a guy tell me to throw moth balls in the attic and they would leave, so I get a few handfulls of the moth balls and throw them up and around the attiC , went and washed my hands, grabed a cold one and went out side and the dang varmits were throwing the moth balls out the hole they had chewed in the overhang as fast as I was throwing them in. Got my pellet gun and sit outside every day untill they were taken care of. This is something you will be doing from now on to keep them out also. This was the only solution I found that worked and I still use it year round.

Re: How to/Best way? #660982 04/20/03 10:21 PM
redfinŽ Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Molossusri, I already have a big black lab (3-legs). He's killed a couple over the years but it's kinda like smokers lung...slower than guns (as the old Iron Butterfly song goes). Don't think he and the Jack would get along real good, either.

Greg, I've checked with the city office and pellet guns are legal within the city limits.

Procraft, neighbor may or may not be squirrel friendly. However, I've already got a plan carved out if they approach me. Have been using a nail gun a lot last week putting a roof over the back deck, so when the pellet gun goes off, it sounds just like a nail gun. I even get the circular saw out of the shed and hook it up and hit the switch for about 5 seconds every once in a while to "cut a phantom board". Fools the squirrels, too...they think I'm working and not paying attention.

I susupect they have found at least one dead squirrel in their back yard. I'm pleading "warbles" if they approach me. Flies lay eggs in the neck of the squirrel (most tender area) and when the larvae hatches, it feeds off the squirrel and eventually can kill it. Dang things are dropping right out of the trees deader than a door nail from warbles...

On a more positive note, there is one squirrel with no tail at all that I've seen around the last couple of months. Saw him last night in a tree over my property and I had him dead to rights but elected to let him live...good conversation piece when I have you squirrel shooters over for beers one evening. Gotta get the deck covering done and painted first, let the pack of terrorist squirrels populate again, then we'll go the group beers and ballistics route...

------------------

[This message has been edited by redfin (edited 04-20-2003).]

Re: How to/Best way? #660983 04/20/03 11:42 PM
David Lee Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Hey Redfin maybe you should set you up a feeder and draw them in. Then have a have open season on them. Of course it os more fun to just sit on the back porch and drink a adult beverage with a pellet gun. Just searching the trees and bam. Teach him to poke his head out over that branch. Those squirrels may make some good chum.

Caseguru that is funny about the squirrels throwing out the moth balls.

------------------
David

Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
Yes I did admit defeat. Good job back to back champion
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide