Print Thread
Kelly's Cajun FW-M #6577761 08/30/11 07:05 PM
K
kelkay Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
K
This fly is similar to the Shaman Lance. It is a tribute/nod to Tom Nixon. He used cajun in one of his flies, and he liked the tinsel chenille, and used it for the butt in one of his streamers or more. I misplaced my book, so I cannot tell you the exact one. (well let's say my daughter rearranged, and that is how it was misplaced...since then I put all my tying books in a plastic box) I do not know if I like the tinsel chenille butt better, or not yet. The FW-M stands for Flat Wing- Mallard. I plan to do some experimenting with Pintail, Gadwall, wood duck etc...for the wing. The Shaman Lance will just be a teal wing I think. Anyway I am a big fan of Tom Nixon's work. I wish he was still around. Oh, and I tilted the fly so you could see the tinsel chenille butt.

Last edited by kelkay; 08/30/11 07:07 PM.

The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." Thomas Jefferson

You Dont Love Something You Want to Fundamentally Transform Mark Levin

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: kelkay] #6577772 08/30/11 07:09 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Classic stuff. Funny how this general type of fly isn't nearly so popular as it once was (witness the lack of them in big name catalogs).

Kelly, keep this up and you may be able to quit your day job!

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: rrhyne56] #6577812 08/30/11 07:28 PM
T
Tom Baty Offline
Angler
Angler
T
That looks wonderful Miss Kelly! Gadwall, wood duck, mallard ... are you a duck hunter too?! I've got feathers from all kinds of ducks I shot last season, thinking I'd figure out a use for them in fly tying. Turns out I'm still too new to tying to figure that out. I made a couple wing-cases out of the wing "spectrum" from a mallard. That's about it. Your work truly is amazing. I look forward to your posts, and this older style of fly you've been tying is very interesting. Keep up the good work!

-Tom

More stories at Texas Wild
Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: Tom Baty] #6577877 08/30/11 07:46 PM
K
kelkay Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
K
Thanks Robin, and jtcountryboy. ;-) JT, no, I am not a duck hunter now, I used to be back in the 80's. I mostly have mallard. I just have a small package of Gadwall, and Wood Duck that I bought. But I also have some Pintail that a hunter gave me. (just a small zip lock baggie of it too) Duck feathers are some of my all time favorite material to use on flies. I like tying classic flies. But I also enjoy mixing synthetics in my work. This fly is a mix of natural, and synthetics for example. I was surprised that so many have preferred the flat wings that I have tied recently. I had never tied any, but I joined a swap with them, and couldn't make out most of the pictures to duplicate them. A friend suggested I make my own pattern because of it. So that is how the Shaman Lance, and the Kelly's Cajun flies came about. I cannot see that good, and my hands shake, but so far I can still manage to tie. I hope I can tie at least until my mid 70's or so. (if I live that long) The painted eyes are difficult for me to do now. But they add so much to this pattern, I had to do it regardless. For those that don't paint eyes, they can always leave it with a black head, or add stick on eyes etc...

The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." Thomas Jefferson

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: kelkay] #6589897 09/02/11 05:44 PM
S
S-S Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
oh nice! Haven't had internet in a few days, cut me some slack

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: S-S] #6591447 09/03/11 01:33 AM
K
kelkay Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
K
Thanks, okay, you are cut some slack this time. :-)

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: kelkay] #6592349 09/03/11 12:23 PM
C
CedarCreekWoody Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Great job on those painted eyes! My hands were never that good even when steady!!

Woody
Sea-Pro 170 CC
90 HP Mercury Saltwater

2014 Sun Tracker DLX 18
60 HP Mercury four stroke.

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: CedarCreekWoody] #6592398 09/03/11 12:59 PM
B
Brimbum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I just love the job that Kelly does on those painted eyes. If you look at some photos of flies that Tom Nixon tied you will see that she does a much better job on the eyes than Tom ever did. Friend John Peterie of The Roadkill Roundtable does a better job than any other at tying Tom's Calcasieu Pigboat than anyone else,but John always epoxys eyes he buys at fly shops on his pigboats. In fact the last few times I saw Tom tie his pigboat he was using John's method rather than painting on the eyes as he had done in the past. Kelly is preserving the art of hand painting the eyes on streamers and I don't think that there are many learning to do it at this point. We need to keep some of these old skills alive and only folks like Kelly are doing that.

Thanks Kelly.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Brimbum

Texas Perchfighters
Royal Coachman Society
Classic Atlantic Bream Fly Society-Executive Vice President

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: Brimbum] #6592407 09/03/11 01:04 PM
R
Roofish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Very Nice kelkay

CPHS TIMBERWOLVES 2012 4A DIV II TEXAS HS FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1ST EVER

NY YANKEES 27 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIPS

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: Roofish] #6592505 09/03/11 01:50 PM
P
pearow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
very special K; (Brimbum; on a sidenote, I scored a first edition Tom Nixon book at a library sale friday. excellent acquisition for 50c)-p-

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: pearow] #6592643 09/03/11 02:49 PM
K
kelkay Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
K
Thank you very much for the compliments, guys. Brimbum I just love to read all of the history you know, concerning fly tying. It is amazing, and I love hearing it. I had a great teacher. Your tips allowed me to try painting eyes on streamers. My eyes aren't as good as your eyes were. :-)

pearow, I am extremely jealous. A first edition, wow. If you ever want to sell it, holler at me.

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: kelkay] #6592814 09/03/11 04:17 PM
B
Brimbum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Pearow: You made me reach for my copy of Tom's first edition of his book and I remembered that I bought it from a guy in Henderson, Nv. but I don't remember what I paid for it...certainly more than 50 cents. The dust jacket is marked for a list price of 7.95 and I got Tom to sign it for me in September of 2000 while we were at the Southern Council Conclave.

I found the painting of the eyes was not all that difficult, it just takes determination and a willingness to devote the time nbd re-do them when necessary.

I find it kind of cool to have about three dozen flies turning on the coffee table while the eyes dry. It is kind of cool to have such a life that I can waste time like that sometimes.

Big Dale

Brimbum

Texas Perchfighters
Royal Coachman Society
Classic Atlantic Bream Fly Society-Executive Vice President

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: Brimbum] #6592906 09/03/11 05:14 PM
K
kelkay Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
K
Big Dale, you did a supreme job on the eyes, and heads, of your streamers. It is not difficult if your hands don't shake. I try to brace my hand when painting on the eyes. I hold them with a pair of hemostats, then flip them around, and paint the other side. Then I spin them on the dryer. I can do about 9 at a time with my dryer. I wish I had the room, and more dryers, I could do more at once that way. Tying stuff can sure clutter up on you, before you know it...lol.

Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: kelkay] #6596424 09/04/11 10:24 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I suggest we subdivide this forum into two categories:

1. Fly-tying by Kelkay; and

2. Fly-tying by the rest of us.

Since she is clearly in a class by herself.

Another fine fly, Kelly. You inspire us all (though we may never approach your skill level).

Mickfly
Fish Friendly -- Life's too short to do it any other way
Re: Kelly's Cajun FW-M [Re: mickfly] #6596742 09/05/11 12:37 AM
K
kelkay Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
K
Mick, wow, I was sure not expecting a comment like that. I don't even know what to say. Thank you. If I inspire anyone, that is very flattering. I just love fly tying so much, and even if I'm not tying, I'm thinking about tying. It is a sickness I tell ya!!!
I think most people can reach my level. I want to continue to improve, and learn. If I ever get one classic, well known fly, out of the many flies I've made up, I will be thrilled beyond belief.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide