Print Thread
is this drought truley killing? #6295554 06/14/11 07:12 PM
T
TXST-JAKE Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
im sure in 95% of the texas bodies of water, the water is slightley to moderatley down, well in ponds that i fish at, the water is down 6" to a foot. yesterday i went fishing with my friend and the bass were almost skidding across the surface, we've never seen any thing like it. but they werent bitting. no, all the dinks in the pond were. the biggest i caught was a 6" perch. the biggest he caught was a 8 inch cat. today even, the water is down another inch or so, and have yet to catch a respectable fish here ( respectiable is 6"+). im using a flea fly jig and the water clarity is pretty good, and i havnt even seen a good one even chase it. so far today 4" was my max. does anyone know if when the water level is lower, do the larger ones die off, or anything of the sort?

Texas State University
B.S. and B.A. '19
Re: is this drought truley killing? [Re: TXST-JAKE] #6296049 06/14/11 09:12 PM
K
Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Depending on the size of the body of water it can have great effects on the fish. A small pond can and will start having o2 issues as the water dries up. Add the unrelentent heat and that quickens the o2 depletion. Not only that but [censored] the pond becomes smaller natural cover ie tree roots, etc where the fish hide become to shallow and the fish must find new cover. This makes them more vunerable to other predators and bigger fish.

" Used to Chase giant's on Lake Austin & Town Lake "

Re: is this drought truley killing? [Re: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan] #6296058 06/14/11 09:14 PM
K
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
typo caused "censored" added 1 to many "s" to "as" lol

Re: is this drought truley killing? [Re: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan] #6296202 06/14/11 09:49 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
One simple solution. Rain! I am very surprised that the local creeks in my area are holding up as good as they are. I know one that has a waste water treatment plant that supplies water year around. Certain areas of that creek will always have water and fish. However several other creeks depend heavily on rain and underground springs. I think it is going to take a major hurricane to hit the area just to fill the bodies of water. In the mean time if you happen to locate a deep hole of water in a drying river or creek you can usually catch some very nice fish.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: is this drought truley killing? [Re: banker-always fishing] #6296284 06/14/11 10:09 PM
S
s8nlilhlpr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Was out at Lake Somerville this morning, the crappie barge has trees sticking up out of it from the brush piles! Some of the larger boats in the marina are beached now, from the draw down. No crappie to be found, plenty of decent 'gills though.

Last edited by s8nlilhlpr; 06/14/11 10:09 PM.
Re: is this drought truley killing? [Re: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan] #6296372 06/14/11 10:35 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: Aransas Hooligan
Depending on the size of the body of water it can have great effects on the fish. A small pond can and will start having o2 issues as the water dries up. Add the unrelentent heat and that quickens the o2 depletion. Not only that but [censored] the pond becomes smaller natural cover ie tree roots, etc where the fish hide become to shallow and the fish must find new cover. This makes them more vunerable to other predators and bigger fish.

Thanks for that answer Aransas.
Ive never thought of that.

Ive asked the same question that "Lovethepanfish" asked a month ago. My usual fishing spot is pretty much dried up until 1 foot or less, some parts are dry mud now.

The answer I got was "the low water will make them easier to find". Even though the bass were easier to find, nothing would hit even take a glance at my lures.

Ive recently started fishing at this creek by my place.
Its a nice place, but I dont get the solitude and tranquility as my normal spot.

Re: is this drought truley killing? [Re: AdanV] #6296454 06/14/11 10:57 PM
K
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Ah, I bet solitude is a rare commodity in Houston/Katy area Adan.
Its bad enough here in RoundRock and getting worse at the coast as well. I have noticed since I started wearing one of those face mask things the kids and their parents are giving me much more space lol.

Re: is this drought truley killing? [Re: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan] #6296533 06/14/11 11:18 PM
J
jagg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I might have to get a buff then. Make the kids and parents run! biker slinger
What you're experiencing may have less to do with o2 and more to do with stress. Fish don't eat or bite well when the water is falling rapidly or falling to dangerous levels. Make no mistake, the o2 levels could also be a big factor on why they are not biting. If there are a lot of weed cover in the lake, the sunfish can navigate it very well and can hide in it and not see a bass for a long time. The more weed cover and less water over the top and less holes under the grass canopy, the more the better the odds for the sunfish and the worst the odds for the bass fisnding and eating the sunfish. So keep that in mind.

Also, smaller fish need less o2 to survive than bigger fish. At least, that's what I understand.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His Holy Name!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzsXYK-44H5uEUe3WXjmLg
Re: is this drought truley killing? [Re: jagg] #6296993 06/15/11 01:45 AM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Looks like a typical Texas Long Hot Summer! The stress level is truly going to be high on all fish as the summer progresses. Just think we are still in spring. Summer does not start until June 21.

Re: is this drought truley killing? [Re: jagg] #6297034 06/15/11 01:58 AM
T
TXST-JAKE Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
ok thank yall. there is a lot of vegetation, but no predators to sunnies except maybe a 10" catfish, but then only the smaller ones would be a risk. im actualley looking forward hurricane season. i havent stocked the pond in about a month, and probably wont. and to any other panfisherman, have yall noticed that small sunnies almost aways attack whatyever your using with their bodies, not their mouths? 7 mishooks through the stomach today.

Texas State University
B.S. and B.A. '19
Re: is this drought truley killing? [Re: TXST-JAKE] #6297340 06/15/11 03:21 AM
A
Aquiles Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I have noticed the sunnies " butting " my lures I keep getting hookup but thru the side or cheeks , and they make a weird " popping " sound when they hit the lure .

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide