Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: mushy crappie? [Re: dbzell] #6282266 06/10/11 06:12 AM
F
Flwrldy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
dbzell-seen the popcorn test done a million times......of course, only with very large fryer, outside.

Re: mushy crappie? [Re: Jeff Schiller] #6283893 06/10/11 07:44 PM
Matthew Carroll Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jeff Schiller
I know people get all caught up in how they cook their fish but I use the KISS method - Keep It Simple Stupid.

My fillets are generally frozen and thawed before frying up. They stay in a cold water bath - usually the thawed/frozen water. If for some reason, I'm cooking fish just caught, I will rinse them really good with very cold water.

My coating is yellow corn meal, salt & pepper. Put that mixture in a ziploc baggie (been doing it that way for years) or one of those shaker basket things from BPS if you wanna be fancy). That's it. Take your wet fillets and coat them with the corn meal mixture. Drop them in peanut oil that is slightly over 350 degrees. Slightly over because the cold fillets will cool it off a little. Careful going over 350 degrees with cooking oils.

When they float, they are done. Break one open to confirm.

My other coating mixture and method is:
corn meal, salt, pepper & crushed red pepper (purchased at asian food markets - don't know why this is better. It just is.)
I fill up a bowl with sriracha hot sauce and run my fillets through that to drench them in the hot sauce. Then I coat them with the pepper/corn meal mixture. Cook in the oil. This is a spicy fish.

I do at least 1 300+ fillet fish fry every year and have never had a complaint....yet.

I ate some of Jeff's filets one day, (spicey) and he's right... They are tasty...
I believe I would listen To Mr. Schiller... He can cook, if you don't believe me ask his wife....
Jigum

Member Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff
2015 CAT DIVISION 2 STATE CHAMPION
Re: mushy crappie? [Re: FishByte] #6284166 06/10/11 09:11 PM
A
archgreen Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
as taught by my grandfather as a kid. Heat oil in skillet. Drop in a stick match after it looks like it has heated enough. When the match tip burns the oil is the right temp. Been using that for years, always perfect fish fillets.

Re: mushy crappie? [Re: FishByte] #6284295 06/10/11 09:58 PM
B
Boone921 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
anybody ever tried coating fillets in mustard before applying corn meal?

Re: mushy crappie? [Re: Jeff Schiller] #6285264 06/11/11 07:28 AM
C
crope1 Offline
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
C
ok,i have the first complaint....i wasn't invited to the fish fry....LOL
Originally Posted By: Jeff Schiller
I know people get all caught up in how they cook their fish but I use the KISS method - Keep It Simple Stupid.

My fillets are generally frozen and thawed before frying up. They stay in a cold water bath - usually the thawed/frozen water. If for some reason, I'm cooking fish just caught, I will rinse them really good with very cold water.

My coating is yellow corn meal, salt & pepper. Put that mixture in a ziploc baggie (been doing it that way for years) or one of those shaker basket things from BPS if you wanna be fancy). That's it. Take your wet fillets and coat them with the corn meal mixture. Drop them in peanut oil that is slightly over 350 degrees. Slightly over because the cold fillets will cool it off a little. Careful going over 350 degrees with cooking oils.

When they float, they are done. Break one open to confirm.

My other coating mixture and method is:
corn meal, salt, pepper & crushed red pepper (purchased at asian food markets - don't know why this is better. It just is.)
I fill up a bowl with sriracha hot sauce and run my fillets through that to drench them in the hot sauce. Then I coat them with the pepper/corn meal mixture. Cook in the oil. This is a spicy fish.

I do at least 1 300+ fillet fish fry every year and have never had a complaint....yet.

Re: mushy crappie? [Re: pugman] #6285283 06/11/11 08:43 AM
redfin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: pugman
Originally Posted By: Jacob645
I dry out my fillets with paper towels completely before battering them. You would think it wouldn't stick as well, but I think it does better and your not frying any extra moisture to separate the cornmeal from the fish. Let a match float on your oil. When it ignites, the oil is ready to cook.

Only way to do it in my book.

Defintely pat the fillets dry - I use a bath towel, lay the fillets one one half of it and fold the other half of the towel over on the fillets then lightly press any moisture out of them. Works on any fish you deep fry.

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: mushy crappie? [Re: FishByte] #6288001 06/12/11 05:58 PM
P
PittState Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
too much salt in the water will make the crappie mushy, very quick. You will know by handling them prior to dipping and frying. If they fillets are solid coming out of the water/before you start preparing to cook them, then the oil is your problem.

Re: mushy crappie? [Re: PittState] #6288004 06/12/11 05:59 PM
P
PittState Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
The crappie can also get mushy if you wait to long to filet them (without putting them on ice).

Re: mushy crappie? [Re: PittState] #6288526 06/12/11 10:40 PM
C
crappiekid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
1. Keep the fish fresh before freezing(from the live well to the filet knife or quickly to ice water).

2. Crappie taste better after it's been frozen if you don't like it so soft. Freezing it removes some to the tenderness.

3. If you want the crappie a little tough like my family likes it, put the meal coating on early and allow it to set for about 10-15min. This gets the meal soggy and causes the outside to be a little tough after frying.

4. cook the fish 5min past float. That's right, 5min. It sounds like a long time but if you have a good deep fryer it will be fine and you will love the texture.

Rodney

Re: mushy crappie? [Re: dbzell] #6289540 06/13/11 02:23 AM
J
jybLibertyCo Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I'd say, if you are sure they are fresh and not, as someone else said, 'pre-cooking' in a too hot bait well or left dead on the stringer too long, the most likely cause would be oil not hot enough and too much water in the fish. While I so freeze in water, I would never soak anything other than bloody fish like redfish, certainly not a delicate white fish like crappie. When thawing fish frozen in water, I always thaw them in a colander set in a bowl to keep the fish from soaking in the water. Drain them well, pat dry with paper towels.
Good luck.

Last edited by jybLibertyCo; 06/13/11 02:24 AM. Reason: spelling error

Jenell
Re: mushy crappie? [Re: FishByte] #6291551 06/13/11 06:07 PM
S
SHAD CHASER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Agree with everyone else.

Oil is probably too cool (ie not hot enough)

Putting too many fillets in the oil at same time.

Also, occasionally freshly caught fish need extra time than previously frozen.

If problem continues, I have the perfect setup and I will take all those defective crappie off your hands.

FISH ON!

Re: mushy crappie? [Re: FishByte] #14351029 04/24/22 02:38 AM
J
joapps Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Put on ice or cooler ASAP (unless u r going to dispatch and prepare/eat right away). If keeping alive on stringer or live well, then put on ice or cooler BEFORE they pass away (a moment of silence please...).

I had caught a few crappie once, where only 1 had passed away...on a stringer (summer temp as I recall I was in shorts). Within an hour, I simple pan fried all (with a little oil, salt, slab of butter, sprinkles of ground pepper). The one that had passed early was the ONLY one that was mushy.

Re: mushy crappie? [Re: FishByte] #14351297 04/24/22 04:50 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Got the same problem. Wife says crappie are like fried mashed potatoes and is always after me to bring in some small LM Bass.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: mushy crappie? [Re: asudavew] #14351502 04/24/22 10:05 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by asudavew
I find the texture to be mushy too.

And I use a deep fryer set on 350...

I always think they are mushy and so does everyone else.
But white bass cooked the same way are never mushy.

Nailed it.. Lets face it, the down side to crappie is the fish is more mushy vs other fish, like bass. But crappie has many more upsides, like just a better smelling, cleaner, more white fish. But there are things you can do to make it less mush, all mentioned above, but for sure avoid soaking in water...not sure why everyone likes salt water either.. I think because you are lead to believe salt water gets the blood out better, gets the game taste out better, etc... I tried all this, with duck, and fish, it just does no help much, not worth it. Just resins off good. No soaking, and save your salt for somrthing else, like your fried eggs in the morning.

Re: mushy crappie? [Re: FishByte] #14351522 04/24/22 10:57 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Here you go, my crappie recipe of the day, guaranteed you will not notice mushy crappie. Crappie Enchiladas, with homemade jalapeno sauce...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide