Dear Kate and Wills:

First of all, my sincere apology for not getting back with you guys sooner. The postman, not realizing that I am a man of superior breeding, impeccable education and sterling intellect (with more than a few drops of royal blood of my own), apparently thought your wedding invite was junk mail from the Franklin Mint.

I only received it yesterday, and thats just because Irma, the lady who works behind the counter on Saturdays when shes not havin one of her early-morning migraines, saw the Royal Seal and recognized the genuine British postage stamps.

She kept the stamps for her collection. I dont mind, though, seeing as how she is an avid philanderer with a huge album of postage stamps that she has philandered over the years.

Anyhow, by the time she got it to me I already had the calendar blocked in for a four-day trip to Lake Livingston. Im sure you understand. I could not, in good conscience, turn down some of the best yellow cat fishing of the year. As is customary with select locals like me who are burdened with the obligations of high society, royalty and the like, I had no option other than to accept an invite from my esteemed associate Bubba, Baron of Penwaugh Slough.

Im real sorry if this left you two holding the tab for an extra plate. I know what its like when a young couple gets hitched and money is super-tight. Ill make it up to you; I promise.

Baron Bubba, by the way, is extending a special invite to the two of you to join us next month when the white bass get to schooling on Lake Livingston. The official invite will come to you on one of the Barons new postcards, depicting the newest of the elite fleet of mobile homes that he has purchased in order to upgrade the Penwaugh Slough estate. He also recently acquired a brand-new pontoon boat, a princely 24-footer that will allow the two of you to dunk minnows for crappie in grand fashion. (It makes a great platform for midnight skinny dippin, too, so long as you stay out of the slough. The gators wont bother you, but theres way too many snakes in there for me to go dangling my jewels in the water after dark.)

Sadly, I must remind you that despite the fact that we really enjoyed it last go-round, noodling for catfish is one of the few things that is still illegal here in East Texas. You can only legally noodle for whiskerfish in Oklahoma, a state that hardly merits the visitation of a couple of your stature. Please forgive me for even mentioning it.

But worry not, my dear Wills. We shall catch plenty of flatheads on hook-and-line, in true gentlemans fashion, with a combination of limblines, trotlines and jug lines.

If you two could bring a few dozen of those gold Aberdeen crappie hooks like the ones you had last time, thatd be awesome. Ive tried, but all you can get around here is the gold-plated variety.

Come to think of it, if youve got some of those one-ounce gold slab spoons you mentioned, bring those, too. Nothing on the market beats the fish-attracting flash of 12-carat gold. Truth be known, the 3-ounce gold slabs are far better for big fish.

Ill swap you out some of my hand-tied bluegill flies for a batch of those 3-ouncers. And I dont make that kind of a deal with just anybody. Folks around here have been known to trade an entire case of Old Milwaukee for just one of my custom Bohemian Bottom-Bouncers. That fly makes a Royal Coachman look like a drowned rat.

Baron Bubba and I were looking through some of the most recent gossip rags last night, and couldnt help but notice the 28-gauge side-by-sides the two of you were carrying while pheasant hunting last fall. Those are some darned pretty shotguns, kids. But I have to tell it like it is: Theyre gonna be way too light for spring turkey.

The Baron is having a pair of synthetic-camo-stocked Mossberg 10-gauge pumps fitted for the two of you, just in case you make it down here while the big Toms are still strutting. Put a laser sight on those suckers, screw in a turkey choke and youll be taking the heads clean off of gobblers bettern 50 yards away.

All the same, I think youd be wise to have the royal entourage pack those 28-gauge Italian double-barrels for you, just to be on the safe side. A $35,000 hand-engraved Perazzi side-by-side makes a damn fine scattergun for squirrels. Remember, the East Texas squirrel season runs through May, and right now the cat squirrels are thicker than the Queens ankles after a 3-mile hike.

Speakin of Liz, tell her howdy for us. That woman can track a hog, I guarantee you. Stickin her nose in the air all the time like she does, the old gal can sniff out a boar like a blueblood bloodhound. Real handy with a .30-.30, too, and a hell of a lot of fun when shes got a few beers in her. Gotta tell you, though, guys, thats one woman that you dont want mad at you. Then again, considering that youve already seen her dress Chuck down a notch or two in the past, I reckon the you two are already more than aware of that fact.

Charlies never been too much into hog hunting. But hes a fox-huntin fool, and I aint talking shoot and release. Thats a damn fine pack of dogs hes got there. No blueticks in the bunch, though, best as I can tell, and that dont make much sense. Theres gotta be a pile o big ol boar coons runnin around on the Royal Estate Riverbottom, right down from where Liz runs her trotlines.

Blue-blood blue cats. No place but England.

Baron Bubbas wife, Baroness Bertha Hickner, daughter of Ernest, Viscount of Vidor, has set aside a special cabin for you two if you prefer non-wheeled accommodations. Around here, if it aint got an axle or two beneath the linoleum, we cant sleep in it. It just dont feel right. But then again, we arent the future king and queen of England, so we get it if you prefer something a bit more stationary.

This cabin is the nuts, guys. The Baron went all-out. He musta spent three hours walkin the aisles of the Wal-Mart in Jasper. Nothin but the best, no sirree.

It has an air-conditioner (with a remote control, mind you) and dark screens on the windows that make it super-private, and probably will keep that sicko Lester from goin all peepin Tom on ya (you have full permission to put a 1-7/8-ounce load of bird shot in his butt if he does. Dont worry; hes done been warned.)

Theres a big-screen color TV, again, complete with remote control (the Baron got it from Wal-Mart during a Super-Saver happy-face close-out sale). Theres a box of foil so yall can wrap up the rabbit ears good n thick for some really great reception after 10:00 or so. If its cloudy and the winds out of the east, you can get the ABC station in Lake Charles and catch reruns of Gilligans Island and Knight Rider.

Ive saved the best for last. Theres a brand-new flush toilet, and so long as you open the valve all the way it dont make noise all night long.

Wills and Kate, Im talking everything. This place aint the House of Windsor, but it rocks. And you guys are gonna love the fish-cleaning table. Its only 50 feet from the back door, and Kate can drag a water hose back there and have those whiskerfish skinned and on their way to a skillet faster than a fox can jump in a rabbit hole.

I hesitate to ask this for reasons of breaking protocol, but I cannot resist. If you cant give me the recipe, will you at least bring a few jars of Prince Charles Royal Cheesebait? Camilla was furious with me for asking last time, and hasnt spoken to me since. But hey; a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, and I bet she doesnt even remember that wet coon dog climbin into her bed.

You cant blame the dog, you guys. That couch fold-out bed was ol Dukes favorite sleepin spot, and he wasnt used to the idea of someone else getting in it. Duke is real sorry he acted poorly, though, and he promises not to jump up on Kate and mess up her fancy fishin dress with muddy paw prints when she visits. (But he cant help the slobberin, guys like I said, hes a dog.)

Especially for your squirrel hunt, Ive commissioned a leading American designer, Wrangler of North Carolina, to make you two a tailored matching set of outfits in the Royal Realtree Advantage pattern. When yall get all snuggled up and hunkered down against a big ol oak tree way back in the riverbottom those cat squirrels will have an easier time seeing the fleas hopping around on Dukes happy tail than they will spotting you. Once Kate gets em skinned and dressed out, well get Baroness Bertha to fire up her big black stewpot and make some of that diced squirrel stew that you guys raved about so much last time. Well even set aside a big ol doggie bag for Chuck (dont know why, but Camilla turns her nose up at the stuff. Mustve picked up the habit from her mother-in-law.) Hey, more for him, right?

I dont know if youll have time, being newlyweds and all, and being on a limited budget, but if you can spend a few extra days, Sir Melvin, Marquis of McFaddin Beach, says you two can use his RV and do a little surf fishing if you like. With the right wind yall can be casting plugs in the first gut at daybreak and whacking trout fillets before breakfast. The skeeters can be a little rough before the sun gets up, but Melvin has you covered on the insect repellent. (Its in the top right shelf, next to the Everclear. Melvin says help yourself to both.)

Bring the royal waders. And not the Wellingtons, either. They wont get you past the first sandbar. A good pair of royal stingray leggings is probably a good idea, too, and a couple'a bottles of royal sunscreen. A royal whiskbroom for sweepin the sand outa the tent is real important, too. And a small shovel and some royal toilet paper you definitely dont wanna forget that.

Two nights campin on the beach, rollin around in the sand and relaxin and makin whoopee in a nice, big tent should have yall ready for a triumphant return to England. I know you guys hate all that bowin and circumstantial pompenstance, but at least youll be chilled out and ready to handle the hordes of pomparrotzy.

Again, Im real sorry about missin the wedding and all. Looks to me like a good time was had by all. But aside from the fact that I couldnt let such good catfish action go by unanswered, I seriously suspect the palace guards would have pitched a fit about me trying to bring Duke into Westminster Abbey.

That dog goes where I go, whether its to the Biggie Mart in Scroggins or some high-falutin nuptial affair in Paris, Vienna, Moravia or some other far-flung town in Texas. A dog is truly a mans best friend.

You remember that, Wills. Kates a fine-looking little filly, and a damn good catfish-skinner to boot. And I aint never seen a girl handle a trotline the way she does. Just mention yellow cats and those movie star eyes of hers light up like a pair of gas-powered Coleman lanterns on a Trinity River sandbar at midnight.

This aint nothin personal, Katie, so I hope you wont take it that way. But Will, man to man, you need to know that the days are gonna come and you have to trust me on this one when your bride is gonna be in a mood thatll freeze the palace moat. When that day comes, and you and your she arent seeing eye-to-eye, youre going to be mighty happy to have a coon dog by your side kinda like I have Duke (or at least a Labrador, seein as how they dont smell too hound-dog-like, unless theyre wet).

Youll scratch her behind the ears, rub her tummy and pat her head, and pretty soon shell settle down and lay down right beside you, right then and there. Then, sure as shootin, that dogll do the same. Hell come over, too, and you can scratch his ears and pat his head, and rub his tummy and before you know it the three of you will be all happy-like, pattin each others bellies and ear-rubbin back and forth and talkin all excited-like about runnin trotlines, huntin hogs with a good pack of dogs, shootin coots and catching a mess of grinnel for some of that prime Louisiana caviar.

Kate and Wills, you two know that youre welcome down here any day, any week, any month well, exceptin the first two weeks of deer season, but that kinda goes without sayin.

Til then, keep your line wet and your powder dry.

Most respectfully yours, your humble servant

Larry Bozka, Esquire

P.S: Hell of a weddin. Did you guys save me and the boys any cake?

Larry Bozka
Coastal Anglers
Contributing Writer/Saltwater - Tide Magazine, Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine, Texas Sporting Journal