Print Thread
Richland-Chambers Sandies #598572 04/30/03 08:51 AM
T
tejasworks Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Yesterday morning I went to Fisherman's Point (map below), getting there right at 7AM. The sandies were schooling in the little upper bay within easy casting distance. I had a medium sized silver spoon on my line and for the next ninety minutes I had a strike on each cast. Granted most of the sandies were below the 10 inch size, but the 'catching' (as opposed to 'just fishing') was great!

I ended up with 12 "takers home" and they divided up to 4 cooked & eaten and 8 for the freezer.

The experience was so great, I was worn out for the day. Yet this morning I am watching the WFAA Radar (Channel 8) waiting out the current thunderstorm hoping it will have passed Richland-Chambers so I can try again this morning. Looks like the storm is going to pass by, so come out and join me. I'll be the limping old fart in the worn out old staw hat.

Opps, here the map:

See ya there!

PS: The past 3 summers I have found schooling sandies on either side of the point at both dawn and dusk most days at Fisherman's Point. Here's to another summer of great fishing.

------------------

Then... ... Now...... Thus...
Re: Richland-Chambers Sandies #598573 05/01/03 08:01 AM
T
tejasworks Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
The storm was just ending as I got to Fisherman's Point yesterday morning. As the lake started to calm down at 6:30 AM, I got about ten strikes with only one keeper. Did snag a large carp by the tail that gave me a good fight. The sandies then moved out of the little bay and were too far out to cast, so the day was not a great success 'cathing' wise. However, it being a little windy and on the cool side, I made a campfire and sat for an hour, just warming up and enjoying the outing.

The lake became almost calm by 8:30 and a few sandies were still schooling about a hundred yards off the point.

I am considering going back this morning (the radar looks ok, winds are 12 from the south) and if I do, I will report back.

BTW, Fisherman's Point charges $2 per day for fishing, but it is worth it. It is $3 to launch a boat. Well, see you there. I still be limping and in my old straw hat.

Re: Richland-Chambers Sandies #598574 05/03/03 09:18 AM
T
tejasworks Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Went yesterday morning (May 2) and got my first cast in at 6:45 AM. The little bay was brimming with shad, running along the shore in a never ending stream. My first catch was a throw back, but the next few minutes produced seven nice keepers.

It was right about 7 AM or so when the sandies moved out of casting range into the bay and out near the point. There they stayed for the next hour or so. If one were in a boat between the shore and a small bouy, they could have been in range of the schooling sandies all along.

I am monitoring the radar this morning (look good so far) and will go back around 5:30 to get there at first light. The sandies appear to be in closer to shore at that time.

I also fished later off the right side of the point with live shad for catfish. I got seven, three nice keepers by 9 AM.

Well, say hi if you stop by Fisherman's Point this morning. I'll be a limping by with my old straw hat.

Re: Richland-Chambers Sandies #598575 05/04/03 01:30 AM
T
tejasworks Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Hit the lake at 6AM this morn and the shad were off the scale again. Caught 7 nice ones again before the sandies moved out of casting range from the bank. They were still schooling when I left at 7:30.

Have company, so will not go out on the morrow, but I shall return.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide