Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A few more new kayaker questions #5925979 03/07/11 04:36 AM
B
Bit Man Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
DO you guys wear waders in your yaks and if so what are some good light weight ones? My duck hunting waders would be insanly hot in the spring/summer.

Where do you sit when fishing solo in a tandem yak?

Do you use one of those kayak anchors, and are they worth having?

Whats a good dry box to keep your phone and keys in while yakking?

Thanks again

Geaux Tigers!
Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: Bit Man] #5926041 03/07/11 04:57 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
i learned the hardway:~(

at least keep your phone in a FRESH ziplock baggy while on the water & its best to leave a lil air in it so it will float if it goes overboard. otherwise the humidity alone in the drybox will destroy it. phones work great behind plastic!

this yr i also invested in one of these:

your keys & wallet can go in just about any dry box. i dont use the PLANO dry box anymore because i have found that some of them leak. PELICAN makes some good ones IMO

Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #5926135 03/07/11 05:52 AM
G
gutcheck Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Waders....Everyone is different, but I've had back luck with waders. I now have the Cabelas Three Fork ones, which are not breathable per se but they're not like the neoprene ones at all. The reason I like them is because they're not too hot and they're durable. Breathable waders are comfortable, but they don't seem to hold up to my style of fishing. Now is a good time to buy waders, actually, but you're probably not going to be using them in a few weeks. Hodgman's had some pretty good deals for a while now. Never used them so I can't tell you much.

http://www.hodgman.com/Sale-Fishing-C69.aspx

Paddling a tandem solo.... Most tandem yaks have a seat area designed for solo paddling. As you might expect, it's more toward the middle of the boat usually. You'll have to remove one seat and move the other one into position.

Anchors... Again, everyone's different. Some guys love their claws. I've lost a couple. They seem to hang up too much in some of the areas I fish. Messing with a hung anchor really pisses me off. There is a way to rig a zip tie/chain that can really help with getting one back. I just use a 4-5 lb neoprene dumbbell from Walmart. Couple three bucks. Never lost one. For my style of fishing, I'm rarely anchored up in more than 15, maybe 20 feet. If the wind is so bad that it can't hold me, then the fishing's gonna suck for me anyway. Also remember that anchors and current/big wind are where people get into serious trouble. Have a knife handy.

Zombie nailed the dry bag/box stuff.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: gutcheck] #5926345 03/07/11 12:43 PM
S
spradyak Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I usually drop my phone, wallet, etc in a dry bag and put inside the hull. I have a thin waterproof camera bag that I put the phone in for an extra layer of protection, and put that in the dry bag.

Great idea of using a small dumbbell for an anchor. I may try that myself. Right now I use a small claw anchor and keep it folded up 99%of the time.

Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: spradyak] #5926378 03/07/11 01:04 PM
R
RealBigReel Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I wear Neoprene waders in the winter. Need to get some breathable for when it is cool but not cold.

Some Tandems have a solo seat option.

Claw anchors can be dangerous in rivers. I used a barbell for an anchor. I use an anchor bag for the rivers. Just paddle to where you are going, grab some rocks and put them in the bag. When I am done I put the rocks back.

Ziplock baggy works just fine for the wallet. Camera is waterproof but I keep it on a leash because it doesn't float. No phone for me and if I had one I wouldn't take it fishing.

RealBigReel
I don't go too fast but I go pretty far.
Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: RealBigReel] #5926534 03/07/11 01:56 PM
B
Bit Man Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Thanks Zombie, thats a nice link and something Ill get now. I have the Lowrance/Navionics ap on my i phone and its a nice way to look at lake contours and put way points on the the map of my new yak spots smile So ill wanna use the phone but keep it safe and dry so Im so glad you posted this! Thanks for the wader advice, prolly wont need any for a while and by the time I do my duck hunting ones will do fine. Im kinda a wuss when it comes to cold weather so I might not yak as much when its cold. Just have to see how it goes!

Geaux Tigers!
Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: RealBigReel] #5926579 03/07/11 02:08 PM
S
spiny norman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Breathable waders just to keep the water off my legs. Simms neoprene flats booties.

Phone, keys, etc go in a large Otter box. never had a problem with humidity but don't open it too often when I'm on the water.

Dont often use anchors but I have two. A small folding claw that I would use for small ponds and creeks and a larger danforth. for big winds and big waters.

Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: spiny norman] #5926603 03/07/11 02:15 PM
B
Bit Man Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/4779/Aquapac-Mini-Whanganui-Case-108.html

Anyone try this for your Iphone?

Zombie, whats the brand and make of the one you have shown above and where do you get one?
Thanks
Danny

Geaux Tigers!
Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: Bit Man] #5926807 03/07/11 03:09 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
DRYPAK from Academy. Most kayak shops have them as well.
might pick some of these up too while your there.
have these on my anchor line, camera, dog leash line. and trout net. made from Styrofoam. others must be using them as well because a lot of times they are sold out. you can usually find them where the hooks & weights are or near the anchor line junk. best thing is they are under $2

Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #5927729 03/07/11 06:33 PM
H
h4rdcore Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I just use a dry bag to put my wallet and phone and keys in. If I need to take my phone out I park on a sand bar and hop out to to stand while talking. Mainly because the dry bag is in my front hatch and is impossible for me to get out while sitting, but partly because I want to make sure I dont get it wet lol.

As for waders, I wear neoprene in the really cold months. In the warmer months I just wear rain gear if I want to keep off the spray or rain, also serves as my light cold weather gear. I have the FrogToggs Jacket and pants and they have done me well. Rain jackets are also nice to wear over your main jacket in the cold weather months to keep water out of the top of your waders.

As for anchors, I use mine a lot in the bays and flats out here in the salt. I have a 5lbs Claw anchor which does not give me any problems. The problem withe claw anchors in creeks, rivers, lakes, and ponds is that there are a lot of trees and roots and other junk to catch it on. If you tie your rope or chain to the front of the claw and run the line along the shaft of the anchor and use a big ziptie to attach it to the end of the anchor (the place where most people tie it). If you get your anchor hung up you give a big sharp tug and break the ziptie, this means the achor is now being pulled from the front and the claws wont catch. Its not a problem in the salt but I dont know where you will be fishing.

Last edited by h4rdcore; 03/07/11 06:41 PM.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: h4rdcore] #5928777 03/07/11 10:29 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
h4rdcore is right. small drybag is a good place for your keys n wallet. they dont slide around in the yak like a hard plastic box does. course you could always clip your box/bag in so it doesnt move around too. i put my battery in a small dry bag. seems to be working well so far.

Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #5930284 03/08/11 04:18 AM
B
Bit Man Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
man my academy doesnt have any of this stuff, they have a few of the plano boxes but Im not paying 20 bucks for it if they leak, ill go look at the academy in odessa

Geaux Tigers!
Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: Bit Man] #5931107 03/08/11 02:32 PM
H
h4rdcore Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
If you look in my signature, the big yellow bag in the seat, thats my dry bag, works great havnt had any water get in yet, which is saying something because I have to dump a gallon or 2 of water out of the hull each time I go out.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: h4rdcore] #5932440 03/08/11 07:29 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
walmart sells a transparent blue drybox.
dont know if the desert walmart carrys them though.
think its between $8-$11.00

think we have all used ziplocks &some sort of topaware containers.
they work well. 5 for $2.22 is hard to beat!

Re: A few more new kayaker questions [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #5932512 03/08/11 07:45 PM
Draggin Yak Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Dry Bags are nice of course. I use a sit in and installed a deck plate, then screwed a peanut butter jar lid to the underside. This is where I usually put things like my keys or wallet to keep it safe and dry.

If you wear waders, I recommend wearing a wader belt if your waders do not already have it. It will make it much easier to swim or get out of the water in the event something bad happens. Otherwise the fill like a drift sock anytime you move foward in the water.

I like the idea of the anchor bag. I knew about that, but had forgotten. If you use an anchor in current or in a tidal situation, keep a knife handy in case you need to cut the line. Especially if you tie off on the side of your kayak rather than the ends with an anchor trolly. Even then your pully can get hung up and get you in trouble in a strong current.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide