Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fishing and Politics #5439111 10/22/10 08:02 PM
Whiskey Bob Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
With the Governers Election Soon, I often wonder if the Seats on the Parks and Wildlife Comission are up for sale to the higest contributor...
seems to me that in the past and the present ,, the appointments to the seats in Austin on the Comission are not your regular Hunting and Fishing type citizens...
but rather the most Wealthy of Texans that have contributed to the election of the respective Governer,, now I'm not knocking their sucess or their wealth but rather wondering do these comissioners do a good job relating to all the people affected by their decisions ... could you do a Better job ? have their policy decisions served you well in the past ? Do you feel you as a Texas Fisherman you have a voice ? or decent representation ?( Politics )
with that said do you think it would be helpful to have Texans on the Comission that really participate in all that they govern ?
would your vote be swayed if you were told that some regular folks would have seats on the commission ? (define Regular)
or am I totally off base asking these questions and does any of this matter to you ?
all food for thought !
---------------------------------------------------------

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission consists of nine members appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. Commission members serve staggered terms of six years, with the terms of three members expiring every two years. The terms expire on January 31 of odd-numbered years, and commission members hold office until successors are appointed and qualified.

The governor shall designate a member of the commission as the presiding officer of the commission to serve in that capacity at the pleasure of the governor. The commission elects a vice-chairman from among its members to serve a two-year term. Vacancies on the commission are filled by the governor, and vacancies in the office of chairman and vice-chairman are filled in the same manner as the original appointment or election.

The commission may meet as often as necessary, but at least on a quarterly basis. Five members constitute a quorum.

Commission members serve without pay, but are entitled to per diem and to reimbursement for actual expenses incurred in attending meetings.

The commission's chief responsibility is the adoption of policies and rules to carry out all programs of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. The commission approves the biennial budget and appropriation requests for submission to the legislature sets departmental policy, and appoints an executive director charged with the implementation of that policy and operation of the department on a daily basis.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Current List of Commissioners Link
http://beta-www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/about/commission/commissioners/index

Last edited by Whiskey Bob; 10/22/10 08:18 PM.

Great Lures---> www.rsrlure.com
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: Whiskey Bob] #5439265 10/22/10 08:51 PM
T
Tumble Weed Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Good questions,haven't thought about it.They should be people that actually fish,hunt,ect.

T's Cycle Shop
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: Tumble Weed] #5441460 10/23/10 12:33 PM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Very simple takes about 400K to be appointed by the governor to TPWD board but an additional 100K to be head of the department.
Whats a half a mil among friends.

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: jackiekennedyfishingguide] #5441618 10/23/10 01:55 PM
S
Smithaven Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
It seems to me that TP&WL has done an exceptionally poor job in the last 15 years, which corresponds to the Bush/Perry regime. I think that corresponds roughly to the time that the fishing license money has been diverted to the general fund. I doubt that that is a coincidence. I have found that I always have more money in my pocket during Democratic Party rule.

[Linked Image].
Seventy five years of chasing the elusive sunfish.
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: Smithaven] #5441846 10/23/10 03:37 PM
karry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
That's because Democrats take money from Republicans and put it in their pockets.

Cedar Creek Lake
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: Smithaven] #5441865 10/23/10 03:49 PM
B
BAMAboy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
As I recall, Ann Richards, a Democrat, while in office took the funding generated from hunting and fishing license and took it away from the Parks and Wildlife Dept. and started putting it into a general fund. Before that time I always bought a combo license, now I just get what I need. In my mind that would explain why their services declined. A fact thats hard for me to overlook. juggle

http://www.johnnysguideservice.com/
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a disgrace, that two become a lawfirm, and that three or more become a congress. John Adams
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: BAMAboy] #5443776 10/24/10 10:15 AM
S
Smithaven Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: BAMAboy
As I recall, Ann Richards, a Democrat, while in office took the funding generated from hunting and fishing license and took it away from the Parks and Wildlife Dept. and started putting it into a general fund. Before that time I always bought a combo license, now I just get what I need. In my mind that would explain why their services declined. A fact thats hard for me to overlook. juggle

I could not recall for certain who took the funds from the fishing licences. I thought it was Bush. Ann Richards was a maverick that I doubt either party would claim. She used to hang around Weatherford. I agree that the time when the fishing license revenue went away marks the start of the decline of TP&W.

[Linked Image].
Seventy five years of chasing the elusive sunfish.
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: Smithaven] #5443888 10/24/10 12:26 PM
S
sfotw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
If enough people made a point of letting their representatives and senators know that they want license money to stay with TPWD, write some letters to editors, and try to get the general public involved on the issue, then things have a good chance of changing.

Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: sfotw] #5444036 10/24/10 02:16 PM
G
GMB Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Originally Posted By: sfotw
If enough people made a point of letting their representatives and senators know that they want license money to stay with TPWD, write some letters to editors, and try to get the general public involved on the issue, then things have a good chance of changing.

Good point. Too often we just accept everything the Government does and believe there is nothing that can be done to change it. While definitely an uphill battle we can make a difference. There are a lot of folks in Texas that hunt and fish who would prefer their license fees stay with the TPWD. We could make a difference.

GMB

Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: GMB] #5444330 10/24/10 04:14 PM
B
BAMAboy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: gmbryant
Originally Posted By: sfotw

Good point. Too often we just accept everything the Government does and believe there is nothing that can be done to change it.......We could make a difference.
GMB

+1
And I hate to admit that I'm part of the problem, waiting for someone else to do something. bang

http://www.johnnysguideservice.com/
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a disgrace, that two become a lawfirm, and that three or more become a congress. John Adams
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: karry] #5444981 10/24/10 09:16 PM
T
T-MAC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: karry
That's because Democrats take money from Republicans and put it in their pockets.

From tax payers. Big government will never work. Its time to down size.

Last edited by T-MAC; 10/24/10 09:19 PM.

[Linked Image]

Take A Kid Fishing !!!
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: T-MAC] #5445029 10/24/10 09:31 PM
karry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Down size gov't......yes
term limits......yes
make Congressmen adhere to legislation they pass......yes
Throw out their private health care and require they use Gov't
passed health care.......yes
The list could go on forever, but that would get too political

We need gov't of the people, for the people and by the people.

Cedar Creek Lake
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: karry] #5445133 10/24/10 09:59 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: karry
Down size gov't......yes
term limits......yes
make Congressmen adhere to legislation they pass......yes
Throw out their private health care and require they use Gov't
passed health care.......yes
The list could go on forever, but that would get too political

We need gov't of the people, for the people and by the people.

Well said.Totally agree. Plus #1.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: banker-always fishing] #5445206 10/24/10 10:35 PM
T
T-MAC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Need to get reed of all the Health care bill. NOt just the private. I dont anyone involved in my health excecpt me, my family and my Doctor. The rest of them can catch a flight.

[Linked Image]

Take A Kid Fishing !!!
Re: Fishing and Politics [Re: T-MAC] #5446015 10/25/10 02:24 AM
O
opus Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
O
Well could anybody tell me ONE JUST ONE thing government controlled that isn't TOTALY SCREWED UP AND COURPT. Enough money can get ya what ever ya want in government period

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide