slabnshad Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
OK guys I have 4 Hellbenders dehooked, weighted and ready to go but I have not
located any pet spoons what are they, where
at and who makes em. Ernest"s picture was
good but I dunno how to make it bigger so
I can get a good look. Also has any of you faithful users tied a larger bait on like a
roadrunner with 4 inch shad on it for hybrids or strippers or something simular, if so how did it work. Thanks for the help

------------------
As a general rule, When you step into your boat you are no longer governed by general rules---You are governed
by Murphy's Law

Dennis----Slabshad

Dennis
Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524164 04/29/03 11:38 PM
S
shawn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
They are at academy..they sell for about $2.50 or so. they come in a blue and white package. They sell them in the same area as all of the other jigging spoons. Ask them...they'll show you exactly where they are.

------------------

Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524165 04/29/03 11:52 PM
slabnshad Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Holy Sandie Batman, Magnum Hellbender
teardrop sinker $2.50 spoon, Mite as well
drill couple holes in a $20 gold piece attach split rings and hook and troll with
it through trees. Ha, just kidding, I will
try almost anything to catch more and bigger
fish. and I have on hand the tackle and
accessories to prove it. but I am a firm
believer A man cannot have too much fishing
tackle.

Dennis
Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524166 04/30/03 12:20 AM
Sharon Hill Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
The petspoon I think is made by lureJohnson and they very well casting as well as trolling with the hellbender. Sharon

[Linked Image]
Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524167 04/30/03 12:22 AM
S
shawn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
yesterday when I was up at academy I noticed an immitation hellbender that was $1 less, it was made by tournament choice...they looked identical to the hellbender although I don't know if they are as well made...... I might give them a try.... just doing my job at keeping the american economy giong

------------------

Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524168 04/30/03 12:58 AM
S
Sac-A-Lait Slayer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I told a few people this at the Texoma Tourney, so I'll share it with you all.

I don't really care for the Hell/pet combo.
They work well, thats for certain, but I hate having a lure down there with no hook on it and at times I have a hard time getting the hellbender to run straight.

I have had a lot of success with another method. I tie a three way swivel to my main line and then use a 1&1/2 foot leader of 20 pound test line and attach it to a white or chrome crankbait....DD 22's for deep dives (18-22 feet) or bomber model A's or fat free shad (5-15 feet). On the other eye I attach a 3 to 5 foot leader of 20 pound for the pet spoon.

Not only is this rig as effective as the pet spoon, it allows you to catch 2 fish at a time. I found that usually the fish would hit the crank bait and then the spoon. Everytime I would get bit, I would have a fish on the crankbait. About half of the time I would have a fish on both.

I then tried just trolling the crankbait, but it did not work as well as using both baits. They like both in the presentation.

The hell pet works great, but you might want to try this rig. They tend to run straiter and you can catch the fish faster when you locate them.

JT

Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524169 04/30/03 01:09 AM
S
shawn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
On the leader I have coming off of the hellbender I have tied 3 sassy shad and the petspoon at the end. Twice I caught 4 fish at once...and had a few triples..... and a bunch of doubles but I like the crank bait idea too... that is a way I can use some of my existing lures and don't have to buy a lot of other stuff. I'll try that too. thanks for the tip

Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524170 04/30/03 01:20 AM
redfin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Pet Spoons are made by Tony Aceta and Luhr-Jensen. The best selection in any of the Academy's I've seen thus far has been the store in Grapevine off 114 and Colleyville Blvd.

You can also order them on-line which has a great selection in colors and sizes. They get them to you right away.

------------------

[This message has been edited by redfin (edited 04-29-2003).]

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524171 04/30/03 01:44 AM
slabnshad Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Not worried about the hellbenders yet got several of them but I think the Holographic
streamer on the holographic flaked slab n shad mite work just as well as the pet spoon
maybe even better and I have some of those, I get all the seconds free. Ha. On the
three way swivel rig does the bottom line
ever get tangled in the crankbait. Not saying I have bad luck but seems like I spend a lot of time untangling and untwisting, but I got the stuff to rig like
that also, so I will try it. Only one
problem, even being retired it is hard to
have enough fishing time. Thanks a bunch
to all of you for the help and advice.

------------------
As a general rule, When you step into your boat you are no longer governed by general rules---You are governed
by Murphy's Law

Dennis----Slabshad

Dennis
Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524172 04/30/03 03:21 AM
S
sasquatch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I think what JB is talking about is tying the Hellbender to the bottom line, a leader above it for a spoon and a leader off the hellbender for the second spoon.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524173 04/30/03 03:39 AM
Steve Bradbury Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Same principal as Ernest described two years ago.

Use a speck rig, take the furterest jig off and use a petspoon.

I would not get too fired up about the two hook thing until the water is well into the 80's.

I will catch hands down as many and probably more by just using one spoon over somebody using two. Done it too many times. I like to get multiple wads of sandbass lined up and hit them in a row as i keep going.

If the hellbender does not run straight, try to tune it, it is super easy. Also, leave the hooks on it if you want to hang it up and lose it, it is just a vehicle to deliver the petspoon or other bait to the fish. Sure you can catch fish on the hellbender too, but it is rigged this way for trolling with a trailer.

But what do I know?

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know and I can help. Email me at steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524174 04/30/03 04:00 AM
slabnshad Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I have fished many years and trolled quite a
bit even with simular type rigs by tying a
leader and trailer lure to a deep diver so I
know it does work and As I Said earlier
I got the hellbenders ready and the fish are
biting and thanks again all for your input

------------------
by Murphy's Law

Dennis----Slabshad

Dennis
Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524175 04/30/03 01:04 PM
S
Sac-A-Lait Slayer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I never really had a problem with the two line tangleing. Just make sure you have swivels at every connectiion. Spoons can really twist your line up bad.

The ball bearing swivels work really well.

JT

Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524176 04/30/03 02:20 PM
S
smallblessing Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I'd listen to Steve B. If I was you. He and a couple of other fellas showed me how to fish the hell-pet rig last year and I tried some variations. Always came back to the tried and true.
My only problem is that if I am alone and troll one rig, I don't seem to catch very many. On the other hand, if I try to troll two rigs, I end up working myself to death! Go figure!
I just put the money on the counter for the hell benders and try not to watch it go away. When I get to the lake, it's worth it.

------------------
smallblessing - Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

smallblessing - Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
Re: Hellbender/petspoon rig #524177 04/30/03 02:37 PM
slabnshad Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I agree it will be worth the money but as I said before I do not have to worry about the
hellbenders for a while, I have enough to
last me for a while, I am anxious to pick up
some pet spoons and give it a try, May have
to go to Ft Worth soon anyway so I can get em then. Got one Depth sounder that is in
need of repair. Power to unit but will not
turn on, and Maybe Boris Marine Electronics
needs some more SlabNShads by now. Don't
know if I can sell him enough to pay for
repairs on LCR though. heh heh and I always
listen closely to Steve B when he writes
and everyone else that posts info on this
board. CULater

------------------
by Murphy's Law

Dennis----Slabshad

Dennis
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide