Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fish prep #520387 08/27/03 01:19 PM
W
weekendwarrior Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
W
We had a subject that rec'd a ton of respnses about cleaning fish just a little time ago. Now, how about freezing tips from everyone.

I personally, use 1 quart freezer bags with 2 squirts lemon juice, couple dashes salt and enough water to mix it around then freeze.

When taken out, I thaw slowly (24-48 hours before cooking) in fridge, rinse filets with cold water, then dunk in bag with lousiana fish fry batter (catfish on a blue bag) with a dash of pepper then fry!

BTW- Albertsons has that batter buy 1 get 1 free right now. Stock up!

Re: Fish prep #520388 08/27/03 01:29 PM
G
Gus Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Boy howdy that fried fish sounds good right now! Who needs to wait for lunch.

"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense." � John Adams

�Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.�

Credited to Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Re: Fish prep #520389 08/27/03 02:09 PM
O
oldtimer Offline
Angler
Angler
O
Hey WW. I find that the Louisiana ff batter is to salty,, I have recently been broiling with a bit of lemon pepper and old bay seasoning, turns out to settle alot better in my belly than fried does

Re: Fish prep #520390 08/27/03 03:55 PM
W
weekendwarrior Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
W
That brings me to another prep for SB.. rinse filets in cool water, lay them out and season with lemon pepper and a dash of black pepper (if you can't tell, black pepper is my fav) and put on the Foreman grill for a minute or until done. NICE!!!!!!!

Re: Fish prep #520391 08/27/03 04:31 PM
Steve Bradbury Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I take the filets and rinse them off with almost a high pressure type hose, more then the sink, but less then say the carwash and drain them and repeat, you would be amazed at how much fat comes off and how whiter the meat is... A fellow TFF member showed me that and it works.

Now for grilling the fish, he told me the something else. The bigger ones are better, chill the meat and gently filet off most of the redmeat on the back of the filet,, just trimming it. Season and grill on the George Foreman grill, I think it takes about 5 to 6 minutes for them to flake, the whole family likes it here and you do not eat near as many as you do when they are fried.

Think I will have fish tonight now....

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know and I can help. Email me at steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Fish prep #520392 08/27/03 04:31 PM
C
charlescox Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
milk or butter milk is good to soak fish in also. We soak for 2-3 hours then fry.

Re: Fish prep #520393 08/27/03 05:52 PM
R
Rockin Rod Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
My 2 cents:

For freezing, you can't beat a Food Saver. You know, on of those vacuum packers. We have had one for about 3 years now, and it is awesome, Baaaaby! (Sorry, Vitale slam) Seriously, we have had frozen stuff for over a year with no freezer burn or anything. The rolls are the best value, not the premade bags. And we wash the bags and re-use them several times. If you are into outdoor cooking, you can power marinate in the bags too. As you suck the air out, you can actually see the marinate get sucked into the pores of the meat!

I tried some Zatarians Country Style batter last night, way too salty. I will try to make my own next time.

Good Eatin'
Rod

Re: Fish prep #520394 08/27/03 06:01 PM
A
Axman9 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I use the Bradbury technique. Just one of many things he taught me about the 'details' of fishing!

Fillet 'em out. Then get a big pot.

Layer the bottom of the pot with about 5 or 6 layers of paper towels. Then, lay a layer of fillets. Then, on top of the fillets, another layer of paper towels, the on top of the paper towels, another layer of fillets.

Put the pot in the fridge overnight.

The next day, take the fillets out. They are now NICE and FLAT. Insert them in vacuum bags and seal them with a Food Saver!

The vacuum packed fish are good for 2 years without freezer burn.

When you let them thaw at room temp, they are juicy and just waiting for some flour/corn meal mix!!

Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring the Good News!!!
www.reaxtionlures.com
www.texomaslabs.com
Re: Fish prep #520395 08/27/03 06:06 PM
C
Chaser Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Rockin Rod:

Where did you get the Food Saver & what was the cost?

Chaser

Re: Fish prep #520396 08/27/03 06:17 PM
D
deonjohanning Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Like Steve, I take the time to remove most of the darker meat on the back side of the fillets. If you haven't done this I think you will be amazed at how much this improves the taste. I want to try to do more grilling as you guys seem to be talking about. I do not have a Foreman grill. I have a Weber Gas Grill with the porcelain grills. How can I grill fish without it getting stuck to the grates? The Spray non-stick stuff doesn't help. Any ideas or do I need to get a Forman grill. Any secrets to not tearing up the fillets?

deonj
Re: Fish prep #520397 08/27/03 06:49 PM
Duck_Jerky Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Here is another mouth-watering recipe:

Soak the fillets in Teriyaki sauce for about 30 minutes. Put a little olive oil in the bottom of the skillet with some pepper, and cook 3 minutes on each side...medium heat. The teriyaki sauce makes it taste like candy!!!

------------------

Brian Carter
Pro Staff
B'n'M Poles - www.bnmpoles.com - Quality Rods For Over 60 Years
War Eagle Boats - www.wareagleboats.com - Built for hunters who love to fish!

Videos
www.youtube.com/BnMFishingPoles - YouTube Channel
Re: Fish prep #520398 08/27/03 06:56 PM
A
Axman9 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I bought the Food Saver 550 at Academy for $109.00.

It works great!!!

Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring the Good News!!!
www.reaxtionlures.com
www.texomaslabs.com
Re: Fish prep #520399 08/27/03 08:42 PM
Steve Bradbury Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have had a food saver for years and the only thing I have had a problem with is freezing dove on the bone, so I filet them off when I want. This way they are already fileted..Here comes a recipe, modified at that.

Take one filet, put a thin slice of cream cheese on it, then a jalapeno pepper on it and then the other filet, wrap that in bacon and secure with a moist tooth pick(i let mine sit in water for a couple hours) then load up one of those grillng baskets for fish with these little poppers and cook and flip them over. great little snacks.

Ok, Doyle Holman who is a memeber here and one of my dear friends, taught me the high pressure rinse, the filet off the red meat when chilled and the george forman thing, but the best tip he gave me was layering the fish in a pan with paper towels and refrigerate them. I had been using cooking sheets and putting them in the freezer to dry off the water for about 30 minutes.. Now i can do it all at once.

Now I have never power marinated something in the bags, might have to know that i see somebody does it, but how do you get the vaccuum pack to not suck out all the juice? Just not add much to it?

Fellows I am too lazy to wash the bags, but I may start if you guys are doing it. I do buy the rolls and cut my own bags.

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know and I can help. Email me at steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Fish prep #520400 08/27/03 08:55 PM
D
deonjohanning Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Would sure like some input on the grilling but not sticking question. I looked in the prep area and saw posts about leaving the skin and scales on one side. Is that the only way? How do you guys grill if filleted completely? Please help. My wife won't eat fried so I almost never keep fish anymore. Would like to grill some fillets. How about some tips?

Thanks,

deon

deonj
Re: Fish prep #520401 08/27/03 08:57 PM
cgstrange Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Ok, I think I can help with is the gas grilling. I grill fish all the time on my gas grill. The easiest way to do it is to double up some foil and put it on the grates. I usually bend the edges to wrap around the grates to prevent slipping. All you have to do is spray with Pam before you put your fish on. Gives you that grilling flavor without losing your fish between the grates.

Now for the seasoning, I like to make a garlic butter, 6 tsp of butter (about 2/3 a stick) and 2 tbsp of garlic powder (1 whole clove) and 2 squeezed limes (just double all amounts for more). I then baste the fillets, season with Chef Paul's Seafood Magic on both sides. Before grilling spray with Pam to prevent sticking. Grill on Med flame for 7 minutes per side, basting at 2 min per side. WOW, it's great!!! Just had it last night with some fresh Red Snapper. Can't beat it.

cgstrange

[This message has been edited by cgstrange (edited 08-27-2003).]

Cameron
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide