Forums59
Topics1,039,146
Posts13,959,963
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: coyotebass] #5086972 07/13/10 10:43 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Motors aren't made to idle 2 1/2 hrs! Enough said! You sure are nice!

I've hitched rides before on roads, trolled for 2-3 hrs, walked for hours, dug my boat out from 6" of sand, hauled my duck boat up inclines/banks....been there done it.....it's part of the experience! I like to consider it "survivor" type situation....be prepared for a way out!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #5087004 07/13/10 10:53 PM
J
John Anderson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Nearest ramp unless it was only a 30 minute tow. A 2.5 hour tow I dont really like in my boat pulling someone. I would do it if that was the only option but nearest ramp seems like the smartest option....

You did good though...

Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: Greg J] #5087077 07/13/10 11:15 PM
C
CliffK Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Greg J
I think closest ramp and hotfoot one of 'em to the launch area for them to get their truck. Unless circumstances dictate otherwise, that's best for all - the alternative - get TowBoats US and pay the fee. Don't mind helping, just don't waste my time, gas, etc. smile

pLUS 1

Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: CliffK] #5087192 07/13/10 11:52 PM
1robert Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I totally agree with helping the folks and would have done the same thing in a heartbeat, just as others have said. I do believe the short point of relief would have been the best all around.
I recently read an article on boat safety and it was clear to say that towing is one of the most dangerous things we can do on the water. Our boats and motors are not designed or equipted for it. The moral being be super careful, go slow and complete the job as quickly as possible. Sounds like good advice while being of help.
Kuddos for your actions and good news everything worked out.

Last edited by 1robert; 07/14/10 12:53 AM.

Bob
I appreciate the TFF.
Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: John Anderson] #5087843 07/14/10 03:19 AM
T
TwoRangers Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Note that - I did not actually TOW with my boat for a whole 2 1/2 hours - but it was that long by the time we got all hooked up and unhooked for a long tow and I got them to their car and got all my stuff put away and got back to where I was fishing. Part of the time when pulling them across the lake I had to slow down almost to a stop to let a big pontoon boat wake pass by or dodge a large pleasure boat wake and make sure they did not rear end me and I also took it pretty slow. All that aside, it was a LOT further and more hassle than the closer ramp.

That said, if I had to do it over again I think I would pull them to the closer ramp which was very close by and then took the guy to his car whether they liked it or not. The whole thing took 2 1/2 hours and it would have probably took about 30 -45 minutes to do it the other way. I just felt selfish about wishing I had handled it differently when trying to lend a hand. Oh well.

Fishing Arkansas and Florida. Retired, driving Rangers, catching bass, releasing them live and loving it.

Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: TwoRangers] #5087898 07/14/10 03:33 AM
S
Skottyd4 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I was out on Kentucky Lake prefishing last fall and a boat that was fishing a tourney flagged me down and I was towing them to the nearest ramp that I knew about being an out of stater happened upon a gas dock that wasn't open but they found a guy up at the house that helped them out. They gave me some money which i gladly accepted since I had used a lot of gas to get them there and I have been the towed boat and offered money each time and only ask to be towed to the nearest ramp and I made my own arrangements after that.

StarFlash Skirts
Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: Skottyd4] #5088017 07/14/10 04:13 AM
T
THF_BigPig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
When we tow boats at work we keep the rpm's at 2000, using a mercury 200hp makes the job easier but still have to be cautious. 2000 rpm's is about 5mph. That said, we take them to the closest ramp and wish them luck. We had a new motor with 35 hours on it quit on us after making 4 tows in one day, the stress spun the prop and redlined the motor causing it to throw a rod.

Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: TwoRangers] #5088028 07/14/10 04:17 AM
F
FZ1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
You did the right thing to help them. Like anything,you'll do it better the next time.

Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: FZ1] #5088645 07/14/10 01:54 PM
N
numbersguy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
I think it depends on the situation. Since there was someone to stay with the boat I would take them to the nearest ramp. If the ramp was isolated and they had to leave the boat unattended, I would probably take them back to their car. Otherwise they might not have any tackle or equipment left on the boat when they got back with their car and trailer. The most important thing is to help someone when they need it. They should appreciate your help and offer to pay for the gas. Most of us would probably not take the money but the important thing is that it was offered.

Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: numbersguy] #5091491 07/15/10 02:06 AM
F
flyinbryan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
i would tow them to the ramp they were parked at. ive done it before, and would again, and all i have is a 17 year old merc 50hp. ive actually towed 2 different times (and ive been towed once, all the way to where my truck was)

one of the boats i towed in was a huge cabin boat, 26-28ft long. it was going to be dark in about an hour and the poor guy was in the water out in front swimming, trying to tow it.

i just go really slow, modulating from idle to around 1000rpm every now and then. i dont strain the motor at all.

i troll for stripers and hybrids all the time anyways, going very slowly, at idle its really not that hard on a motor. its when you get in a hurry that load problems become an issue. sometimes i might idle my motor several hours per trip. purs like a kitten.

i figure the guy is having a rough enough day as it is and im happy to help.

a funny side note. when we towed the guy with the huge boat, we approached him from the front, he handed us his line and swam back to his boat. i wrapped it around a stern cleat and started motoring towards the ramps. the trip was only 30 mins or so, and when we got close to the ramp i just throttled up a little, and about 30 feet or so from the ramp i just threw his line back and turned out of the way so his momentum would carry him all the way in.

we had not yet even seen the back of his boat. when we looked back, my brother and i were shocked to see a woman, his wife i suppose, hanging on the the boats swim platform with her legs dangling behind in the water as if she had been back there pushing while he was pulling. she had to weigh 400 lbs. the man never mentioned that there was someone back there.

my brother and i laugh about that to this day. it was 15 or so years ago.

Last edited by flyinbryan; 07/15/10 02:13 AM.
Re: Helping A Stranded Fellow Boater Question [Re: TwoRangers] #5092212 07/15/10 09:31 AM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: TwoRangers
I am fishing a large reservoir. A couple of guys wave me down. Their motor has gone south and they need a tow to the dock/ramp.

Now the question - they want to be towed all the way back to where their car is. That is a long way and it takes me a long time to get them there and for me to get back. They don't offer anything for gas for me but that's OK - they have enough trouble and I don't need their money.

There is a ramp within sight of where we are, but it is not the ramp where they launched. I wanted to pull their boat over to the closer ramp, secure it and quickly run one of them back to their car at 65MPH and let them come back by road to get the boat. They did not like the idea so I went ahead and wasted about 2 1/2 hours and a lot of fuel to help them, but I was sorta chapped about it. Maybe I should have insisted on doing it my way but I didn't want to be ***hole and unhelpful to a couple of guys in need and I try to be a nice guy to others myself....It still bugs me on how it turned out. What would you have done?

My thought is you do what is convenient to you. Having been in both positions, (tower and towee), thats the fair way to do it.l

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide