Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Anyone going to Benbrook this weekend? #455362 05/09/03 08:29 PM
Cowtown Hockey Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I am going to try and brave the wind and go out this weekend (tonight for sure) and wanted to know if any of you other Benbrook faithful would be out there as well. I'll report back with my findings.

Re: Anyone going to Benbrook this weekend? #455363 05/09/03 09:17 PM
J
Johnmo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Right. I had some electrics fixed and get my boat back this evening, goin out with the wife Sunday morn.. Going to try the Richardson Slough area first ( I hope I got the location down ), then down to the southeast end of the lake by the marina cove.
Then up to the mouth of that cove and NE to the underwater trees. We're gonna keep after it and keep checkin in with you guys.
peace

Re: Anyone going to Benbrook this weekend? #455364 05/11/03 10:06 PM
E
eddie lane Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
would be interested to hear on how the two above did at benbrook.depending on what you rep[ort i will probably go there tuesday.have done fairly well there in the past two weeks on the upper part.give me a shout.

eddie lane
Re: Anyone going to Benbrook this weekend? #455365 05/12/03 04:27 PM
R
RETURNTOTEXAS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I went out Saturday night for 2 hours. Took my father-in-law. We caught 15 keeper sandies on the NE point out of the Rocky Creek Marina. They where holding primarly just over the 5 to 10 foot dropoff on the north side of the point. The wind was strong from the south and they where picking off bait fish that was going over the point. We caught most on rattle traps. Lots of fun for 2 hours. I plan to go out tonight too. Probably will be on the same point. Hope the fish will be there too.

One other note, I saw three boats lined up west off of Mustang Point. They where pretty spread out. All the way to the middle of the lake. I am assuming they where into fish too. I notices some bird action around them.

------------------
FISH ON!

FISH ON!
Re: Anyone going to Benbrook this weekend? #455366 05/12/03 05:37 PM
E
eddie lane Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
RTT
thanks for the information. have not fished recently in the first area you mentioned,it has been good in past years but the second area mentioned sounds like where i have been doing some good the past two weeks. watching to see what develpops this afternoon weather wise and may go there this evening and should be there in the morning. will be in a lowe alum with 50 tracker engine. w2ill montioor 25 on my marine radio.

eddie lane
Re: Anyone going to Benbrook this weekend? #455367 05/13/03 03:31 AM
Cowtown Hockey Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Went out Friday evening and night and had a so so trip. We decided that we had enough sandies in the freezer so we would try to go after some crappie instead on this trip. (It was awfully hard to motor right past the birds working Mustang point on our way out to the crappie spots) It seems to be the same old story for crappie for me on this lake: catch a lot of fish, but only a few are keepers. I think that I am going to stop fishing solely with minnows and start using some jigs and see if that won't produce some bigger fish. Anyway, once night fell, the crappie stopped biting. We put down green lights and didn't even get a nibble in a spot that was producing fish just hours earlier. So after fishing until about four in the morning we decided to call it a night and that we would try it again sometime.

Saturday I recovered and licked my wounds from the previous night's fishing expedition.

Sunday, I took my wife and dog out on the boat in the afternoon and evening. I have noticed a lot more boats slabbing and fishing deep for sandies lately so I thought that I would give it a shot. (I usually like to fish near the surface for sandies and this was kind of new to me) I decided to give it a shot after someone showed me the hybrids that they had been catching with chartreuse slabs or jigging spoons off of Mustang point. (In the area west of Mustang point where ReturnToTexas said he saw the boats in the posting above) I was heading in one day about a week ago and saw the birds working the water and a group of boats West of Mustang point and decided to stop and give it a try. I stayed away from the other boats for a while and slowly made my way into the herd because I didn't want to spook their fish. Well the sandies were busting the surface all around me and all of the boats around me were catching fish, but I couldn't even buy a bite on my reliable Sassy Shad. That's when I noticed that everyone was slabbing and quickly tied a Little George (the closet thing I had to a slab) and proceeded to catch fish jigging it off of the bottom. As it was nearing dusk a boat passed me leaving the crowd and showed me some of their hybrids and shared with me how they caught them. (Chartreuse slab) I'm guessing that there is a hump or something out there, but I have yet to find it. Anyway, Sunday I tried to catch some fish slabbing (I used a rainbow prism slab with a pet spoon tied to my line about 18 inches above the slab) while looking for underwater structure. We caught about twenty sandies for the day and they were all spread out. Never once did we see the birds working the water. I think that the cold front turned the fish off a little bit. I hope to make it out one evening this week and will report back with the findings. (The hybrid fishing should be getting pretty good before long now)

Re: Anyone going to Benbrook this weekend? #455368 05/13/03 09:25 PM
E
eddie lane Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
today(5/13/03) fished hard from 830 to 230.got wet twice covered the lake slabbing and using a stanley sting,silver,a total of ten small sandies and one eating size bream. the wind made it very difficult to feel a bite when salabbing. but it beat a dayu and work and there is always tommorrow.

eddie lane
Re: Anyone going to Benbrook this weekend? #455369 05/14/03 10:30 PM
R
RETURNTOTEXAS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I did make it out on Monday Eve. Caught fish at the same point I mentioned above and I tried Model Airplane Park for the first time and caught some there too. We ended up with 10 Keepers for about 3.5 hours of fishing. Not bad I guess. For some reason we where catching a lot of doubles on the petspoon plug combo while trolling. More than I have caught in the past. I think the storm that came in earlier did not help the fishing. I did find a hump far west of Mustang point. I did not fish it but will soon I hope.

FISH ON!
Re: Anyone going to Benbrook this weekend? #455370 05/15/03 05:21 PM
R
RETURNTOTEXAS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Who will be on Benbrook this coming weekend and what day? I am going to try to go out Saturday eve. I am in a 18 ft SC champion with a 150 merc. White with black stripes.

FISH ON!
Re: Anyone going to Benbrook this weekend? #455371 05/15/03 06:19 PM
W
weekendwarrior Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
I'm planning on making it out Saturday evening as well.. I'll be in a red/ silver flake winner with a 175 Mariner.. If you see me, give a hollar (and some tips)!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide