Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Medina Lake [Re: scottsvault] #4456312 02/07/10 07:37 PM
M
mdauto Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
That is what I thought. Thanks for the info. Decided to pospone the fishing trip taday. Gonna burn some meat and watch the game.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: mdauto] #4474511 02/10/10 10:28 PM
B
BigCliff Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I doubt there's much chance of getting whites all the way up to Red Bluff Creek this year. The lake has come up about 10' in the last 3 wks and the river's flowing about 400 cfs @ Bandera (last summer it avg'd about 8), but its got a long way to go. I'm gonna go hit it for whites soon and plan on taking my kayak to Pop's. I'll paddle upstream if possible, wade if not.

Jimbo, that bridge ain't as comfy as it might look. That girl was bending over while walking along it because the rock wall above her head forces one to. Its tons of fun for a 240#er like myself. They used to have a plank bridge that was a straight shot across that gap, but I'm pretty sure it got washed out during the flooding in 2002.

On my last trip out there they had about 40 strands of wire blocking off that bridge, that requires one to step about 26" up to get over it. I'm guessing this functions as a "sign" that its closed to the public, and thus they're legally safe. One can also walk down the hill by the parking area and walk the far side of the creek to get out to the main riverbed, but you're liable to spend alot of time arm-pit deep.

I'm glad to hear that there's now public parking at English Crossing. That's a great spot, and last I knew it was closed off to the public.

BigCliff
Re: Medina Lake [Re: BigCliff] #4476127 02/11/10 03:31 AM
N
newtothis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Yeah i figure RedBluff is way too far for the whites, but its a good access point for walking down the bank. not sure how far the walk will end up being though. it seemed last summer that the spot in those pictures was about 300 yards from where the river widened back up and slowed down.

let us know what you find out Cliff

Re: Medina Lake [Re: BigCliff] #4476980 02/11/10 11:31 AM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: BigCliff

Jimbo, that bridge ain't as comfy as it might look. That girl was bending over while walking along it because the rock wall above her head forces one to. Its tons of fun for a 240#er like myself. They used to have a plank bridge that was a straight shot across that gap, but I'm pretty sure it got washed out during the flooding in 2002.

That old plank bridge was what I used to cross, and it was like a circus act walking across it with no hand rail and nothing to grab but air on either side. I saw people crawl on all fours across it.
First time I saw it before I crossed, I had to build up the nerve to attempt it as some of the 1 x 6's layed crossways on the pipe rails that spanned that long gap looked pretty rotten, and to be honest that was the only part I dreded was crossing that foot bridge.

Public access at English Crossing was non existent, but I guess times change with the population upstream now using the river they finally gave up trying to keep people out, and all the old ranchers who owned property on that river either sold out or passed on long ago turning over those ranches to the developers.

Just one more cast!

Re: Medina Lake [Re: Jimbo] #4477479 02/11/10 02:40 PM
B
BigCliff Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

Public access at English Crossing was non existent, but I guess times change with the population upstream now using the river they finally gave up trying to keep people out, and all the old ranchers who owned property on that river either sold out or passed on long ago turning over those ranches to the developers.

It used to be that the closest thing to public parking at the crossing was a private park about 150yds away, but they had lots of signage declaring that park only for the use of residents of a nearby subdivision.

BigCliff
Re: Medina Lake [Re: BigCliff] #4477582 02/11/10 02:58 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: BigCliff
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

It used to be that the closest thing to public parking at the crossing was a private park about 150yds away, but they had lots of signage declaring that park only for the use of residents of a nearby subdivision.

They checked, and ran you off if they saw anyone there that wasn't supposed to be there! Don't ask me how I know!

Just one more cast!

Re: Medina Lake [Re: Jimbo] #4477619 02/11/10 03:06 PM
M
mdauto Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Don't ya'll just love this weather. I wish we could get some arround Bandera and Medina. I lived in Medina and you can tell when the lake is on the rise just by looking at the river. When are those white bass gonna start? Im guessing 1st part of March. Any other guess out there. Its a [censored]-shoot with the ever changing water level.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: mdauto] #4477700 02/11/10 03:18 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I just keep looking out there and trying to figure out when this global warming b.s. is going to kick back in?

I've got cabin fever so bad I can't stand it. It clears off, a couple days, but it's still too darn cold for my old bones to deal with. Sixty degrees and I'm good, but those cold icy mornings I can't. A little wind and forget it!

I know for a fact the fish are moving up into the rivers, but it's just that I don't have enough drive to want to get out there and freeze just to find out! LOL!

Just one more cast!

Re: Medina Lake [Re: Jimbo] #4477943 02/11/10 04:11 PM
N
newtothis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Jimbo,

With all due respect, and i really do mean that, fluctuations in weather from month to month have nothing to do with climate change.

not one climatologist has ever stated that cold snaps like the one that is happening in the north east will go away. what they say is that the cold snaps will become fewer and fewer, and the heat waves will become more frequent.

to make an analogy to the situation right now with non-scientists weighing in on the climate change debate, it is similar to non-investment bankers calling up their portfolio managers and screaming "sell sell sell" every time the Dow loses 50 points in an afternoon.

there is a HUGE difference between day to day fluctuation and overall trends.

again, i say this out of complete respect, just make sure you are not listening to a bunch of people who have never actually done one ounce of research on the subject they claim to know so well.

I imagine you wouldn't listen to somebody who has never fished, let alone fished the Medina River white bass run, with regard to where they will stack up and what lures to use.

its the same with climate change.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: newtothis] #4478956 02/11/10 06:57 PM
F
FoldCatOne Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Yeah, Climate change is real, it changes every year. Global Warming is a pile of carp. Bogus science based on Bogus "research".

Re: Medina Lake [Re: FoldCatOne] #4479035 02/11/10 07:07 PM
N
newtothis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
FoldCat,

there is a reason scientists have droped the name Global Warming in favor of Climate Change.

Because often times people make assumptions about the term Global Warming and assume it means that every day will be warmer then the last.

as for your claim about bogus science, am i to assume that you are a climatologist? or a scientists of any sort?

Re: Medina Lake [Re: newtothis] #4479475 02/11/10 08:14 PM
B
BigCliff Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Two things: Given that one of the "symptoms" of GW/CC is increased drought in the interior areas of continents, I think we might have had a bit different take on its likelihood last summer and early fall.

I also think the fact that we went from the worst drought in 50 years to months of damn near Seattle-like conditions here on the edge of the desert means there might be something to this "Global Weirding" phenomenon.

Just my $0.02

(ps. I don't care so much about the cold, but I like fishing rivers that look more like water than chocolate milk)

Last edited by BigCliff; 02/11/10 08:21 PM.

BigCliff
Re: Medina Lake [Re: BigCliff] #4479603 02/11/10 08:37 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
It's raining right now so every bit counts!

Just one more cast!

Re: Medina Lake [Re: BigCliff] #4479636 02/11/10 08:43 PM
M
mdauto Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
This weather (for whatever reason) ,does not get me motivated much for fishing either. Its more like chase momma arround the house weather. Last week I knocked the dust of my boat, fired it up for a few seconds,and was all ready to go. Then this weather came on in. Enough crying. We need the rain. Just not the cold. The lake needs the rain. Thanks Jimbo for your insight on the white bass. Cabin fever is hard to deal with. Good thing is it has to come to a end sometime. I'll be waiting.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: mdauto] #4479825 02/11/10 09:22 PM
N
newtothis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
as much as i would like to complain about the weather i know the the area, especially Medina, needs it bad. I'm just looking forward to this weekend. looking like its going to be picture perfect.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide