Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Medina Lake #4428024 01/31/10 03:24 PM
M
mdauto Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I fished Medina Lake alot in the 80's. Im planning on going back this Feb to chase them White Bass. Anyone have any luck or tips they would like to share. I know the Lake is very low. Do the whitebass still make a run, or do they gather in deep pockets when its this low? Thanks to all.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: mdauto] #4428665 01/31/10 07:11 PM
K
Kyle46N Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I can account for last spring. I made a few trips up river during what should have been the spawn. I caught zero whites up river. There was a gentleman that fished up there quite often and I saw him catch a few during my trips up there. It didn't seem like the run ever happened. I did catch them pretty decent in the backs of coves around the end of March/beginning of April. I was targeting crappie, and caught white bass and largemouth inbetween. Apparently there is even less water in the river than last year, so I would guess that there will be no run, but you never know. I didn't plan on fishing up river this spring unless I hear otherwise. I will fish for crappie end of March on the upper part of the lake though. I never caught more than 15 a day, but they were slabs/big fish.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: Kyle46N] #4429418 01/31/10 11:56 PM
R
Ranger Skelton Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
You wanna share where exactly you are catching those slabs in March??? food

Re: Medina Lake [Re: Ranger Skelton] #4429948 02/01/10 02:08 AM
K
Kyle46N Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
No secret really. Just fish the backs of any coves at the upper end of the lake. I put in at the park and hop from cove to cove. I also try to hit any standing timber in 10 foot of water or more near the coves. Crappie spawn in waves, so at any point during the spawn you will have some hanging out in deeper water too. A good spot is the large cove on the opposite side of the lake from the park. It's the first big one as you are heading up the lake towards the river. It has several docks in it on the left side. Some of those docks have brush on the bottom. I haven't found one particular area to hold a ton of fish. I had to move around catching a few here and there. Then again, last spring was the first crappie spawn I fished on Medina. Maybe I'll find that honey hole this year!

Re: Medina Lake [Re: Kyle46N] #4439372 02/03/10 02:44 PM
M
mdauto Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I've had good luck trolling next to those coves with 6-7 ft divers, and rattle traps. I launch from reds, work the bank directly across while heading up the lake. You have to keep moveing to find the fish. I,ve had some sweet honey holes on Medina. When I went to find them, they are now sticking out of the water. With the constant changeing level of the lake, keep the boat moveing. When you find them they will hit anything. Ive had 3 rigs set up-1 spinner,1 silver spoon, and the good old black plastic worm. I was able to hook up with each rig.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: mdauto] #4441589 02/03/10 11:35 PM
F
FoldCatOne Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Bandera creek looks like the Medina river this afternoon and the Medina is running hard at Bandera. Looks like Medina Lake will get some much needed water today.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: FoldCatOne] #4442204 02/04/10 02:14 AM
Big Red 12 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Is the lake that held the State Record Bass for so many years at 13-8?

Re: Medina Lake [Re: Big Red 12] #4443576 02/04/10 03:02 PM
N
newtothis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ewx&gage=bdat2

Yep.. Medina at Bandera is WAY up. last summer I was watching this indicator pretty regularly and it was at about .5ft for most of the summer. picked up to around 4ft this winter and stayed steady. My guess is that this winter/spring is going to put a few feet back into Medina lake. My hope is that the added flow will bring the run all the way up to red-bluff creek, or just south of there, since there is a place to access the riverbed there.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: newtothis] #4443687 02/04/10 03:24 PM
M
mdauto Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Water is a good thing. Gonna try and head out there to do some scouting arround. Maybe get lucking and catch a few. Hopefully I will have a good report to share.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: newtothis] #4443701 02/04/10 03:26 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Looking at the chart it showed when the Medina reached maximum flood stage of almost 47 feet back in 1978. I remember that year because that was when all those giant centuries old cypress trees were toppled by the raging flood waters. They were snapped off at ground level like matchsticks and these trees where enormous, and left what was once a shaded beautiful river looking like a moonscape. It's come back since, but still those majestic cypress treees are gone forever!

I use to fish that camp there at red bluff creek and it was a great place to fish off the bank, and I hauled many a limit out of there. You paid a few dollars and an elderly womoan would come to the gate and take your money and you walked around the huge bolders that lined red bluff creek, on narrow rotten boarded foot bridges with no handrails to get from one bolder to the next making your way down to the river. It was scary and if you fell you landed on smaller rocks and boulders about fifteen to twenty feet below. You had to walk across about twenty to fifty feet of span in three spots, and I often think about how that wouldn't go today, as the first person who fell off that bridge would sue and own that ranch.

Try to picture a skinny kid carrying a couple rods and reels, tackle box, an ice chest, a minnow bucket, and a stringer of 25 large whitebass, and walking across a rotten foot bridge easing along one foot in front of the other like it's a tightrope!

But that was then and this is now. Oh the memories!

Last edited by Jimbo; 02/04/10 03:54 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Medina Lake [Re: Jimbo] #4443829 02/04/10 04:01 PM
N
newtothis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Jimbo,

You should head on back there, because from what I can tell the place hasn't changed much.

We drive up and an old man meets me at the car to take my 5 bucks a person. Then we drive through their ranch to the back corner where they have parking and some camping spots set up. We park and make our way to the creek edge where there is a walk way leading to a short fence.

this is where the legality issue comes into play.

people who camp at Red-Bluff have to cross a fence line to get to the river. that fence line absolves the ranch of anything that happens to you on the other side. not sure who owns the land on the other side, but that's where the same rickety wooden bridge is.

its a real adventure, especially when hauling a cooler full of beer.

once in the riverbed (which is quite wide there) we are on state controlled property and can walk all the way down to those great boulders.

here are some pics from the summer.. this was with the water flow at .5ft

Re: Medina Lake [Re: newtothis] #4443845 02/04/10 04:05 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
That's it!!!

Man I'm excited. That one bridge has been redone and looks like the I10 overpass compared to what it used to be but that is the place.

If you look at the bottom of the picture you can see the old foundatin pipes sticking up that used to be the old footbridge I was talking about!

I've often thought this place was gone forever when they closed access to it, but now it seems to be open again. It's a shame it couldn't be made into a state park. Others should be able to enjoy this area for years to come!

Thanks for posting!

Last edited by Jimbo; 02/04/10 04:27 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Medina Lake [Re: Jimbo] #4443994 02/04/10 04:40 PM
N
newtothis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I'm just glad it hasn't fallen victim to over-zealous litigation. It really is a great place and quite beautiful.

thankfully we have some pretty good water rights laws in this state, so no matter what happens to that cliff edge, the riverbed is public and those bolders downstream are open to anybody.

speaking of places that should be a state park.

ever been to Edge Falls?

Its private now, but i have found my way there a few times.

talked to the sheriff and attorney for Kendal County about kayaking up Curry Creek to get there legally, they said to go for it and make a case if i get arrested.

Re: Medina Lake [Re: newtothis] #4444069 02/04/10 04:55 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I've been to Edge falls many years ago. It's too bad we are losing many of these places to private subdivisions and such. I really never would have imagined that this place at Red Bluff creek was still accessable.

It really is a natural treasure, and it's so close to our city which makes it even more attractive.

That is one of the prime areas for the white bass run on the Medina, and the scenery is breathtaking. Even as a young man I could appreciate the beauty of the place!

You can bet I'm going to go back there when the weather gets nice!

Just one more cast!

Re: Medina Lake [Re: Jimbo] #4444358 02/04/10 05:54 PM
N
newtothis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
That is exactly where i plan on hitting the white bass run this year. Never fished the run before, but it sure looks like the right spot to me. late Feb sound like the right time?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide